Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
    Simply put, BvR was the best player on the ice last night.
    Couldn't agree more. Funny you mention that I saw TvR and he was hoping Brendan would score the equalizer...maybe having his brothers in attendance again tonight will make a diff. Good to see you posting btw...keep comin' back. Go 'Cats!!
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Bad news is UNH missed an opportunity to gain ground on losing UVM and UML (what is the River Hawks' record since Normie shaved off the beard?) and idle Notre Dame...

But the good news is that Jim Connelly is "100%" certain that this series is a split, so the 'Cats are guaranteed two points this evening. (Not sure why it is even necessary to play the game?) With the Catamounts idle and the Fighting Irish and River Hawks facing tough battles on the road, UNH should be in third place by the end of the evening.
      UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
        Bad news is UNH missed an opportunity to gain ground on losing UVM and UML (what is the River Hawks' record since Normie shaved off the beard?) and idle Notre Dame...

But the good news is that Jim Connelly is "100%" certain that this series is a split, so the 'Cats are guaranteed two points this evening. (Not sure why it is even necessary to play the game?) With the Catamounts idle and the Fighting Irish and River Hawks facing tough battles on the road, UNH should be in third place by the end of the evening.
        Seriously...why bother?? Just give us the two points. And as you say, the hockey Gods need to ensure that BOTH BU and the BC Beagles WIN tonight. Never thought I'd say that...but am starting to feel badly for the BU fans as they think their season is over and their team is trash
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
          Simply put, BvR was the best player on the ice last night.
          It's tough to argue that but think Vela had a great night. Back check, taking the body, digging for the puck in the corners.

What I am 100% positive on is after TKs performance I understand why the only letters are on the back of the jersey. Selfish play, whining, and no hustle. Reused to hit open D on the pp multiple times instead to pass 80 feet for a 1 timer that he goalie could read for days.

Umile won't change but after last night I'd sit him a game or send him to the 4th line. Unacceptable performance by what should be a leader.

Comment

Originally posted by norbert View Post
            It's tough to argue that but think Vela had a great night. Back check, taking the body, digging for the puck in the corners.

What I am 100% positive on is after TKs performance I understand why the only letters are on the back of the jersey. Selfish play, whining, and no hustle. Reused to hit open D on the pp multiple times instead to pass 80 feet for a 1 timer that he goalie could read for days.

Umile won't change but after last night I'd sit him a game or send him to the 4th line. Unacceptable performance by what should be a leader.
            Good post. Being kind, TK is trying to do too much. Also, Chanter likes to hit people. Eisermann missing really hurts. Hill was fine, but he's not Eiserman. Sacco is progressing, but the forth line really misses Hill.
            I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
              ...but am starting to feel badly for the BU fans as they think their season is over and their team is trash
              Probably this is a little tongue in cheek...perhaps? But we (well, I'll say "I" because I won't speak for others) are not thrilled at their "effort" (or lack thereof). Everyone loses games and nobody is perfect or beyond reproach. But when you don't even TRY, that's just inexplicable (not to mention inexcusable). I only point this out because I have followed many of the threads here and we fans are almost never happy. That's part of being a fan, I guess. But I can accept losing to a better team. I can't accept "mailing it in." I don't think our "season is over," but they have yet to prove they are an elite team. Let's put it this way - if BU plays against you guys like they have played so far this week, they will get smoked. You heard it here first.

Comment

• Originally posted by norbert View Post

Agreed on all accounts. My post was not to say no one else was worthy of praise. Tirone, Chanter, Vela all had solid games but I felt BvR was a step ahead of the pack. Blackburn could easily be thrown in there too.

If only the team didn't decide the first period was already over with four seconds left...

Sadly I knew the game was not going to go out way when Nazarians stick snapped with a clear line from the point and Hawkey out of position. It just wasn't our night.

Comment

Interesting "top line" skating third line in the early going...
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

The 7 period scoring drought is OVER !! Yeah TyK!!
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

The scoring drought may have ended....but it appears that the annual Second Half Season Slide has commenced, albeit a few weeks late.

This was a "must-earn-points" weekend for the 'Cats that turned into failure. Looking ahead, it's not looking pretty at all. IMHO, I really can't see the 'Cats doing any better than 1-5-2 down the home stretch, finish the regular season at 12-17-5 and 18 points in HE. I could care less where they finish in the HE standings at this point; their inability to beat the top teams in the conference will be of little comfort come playoff time. There's always the possibility of an upset win here or there, the guys are working their butts off, but they just do not have the talent at this point in time to be a contender.
                      UNH

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                        The scoring drought may have ended....but it appears that the annual Second Half Season Slide has commenced, albeit a few weeks late.

This was a "must-earn-points" weekend for the 'Cats that turned into failure. Looking ahead, it's not looking pretty at all. IMHO, I really can't see the 'Cats doing any better than 1-5-2 down the home stretch, finish the regular season at 12-17-5 and 18 points in HE. I could care less where they finish in the HE standings at this point; their inability to beat the top teams in the conference will be of little comfort come playoff time. There's always the possibility of an upset win here or there, the guys are working their butts off, but they just do not have the talent at this point in time to be a contender.
                        Agreed - good call, across the board. I'm hoping they can find a win here and there before UConn, but these last two weekends were opportunities for just that ... and there's just the one point out of 8 (or 2 out of 10 including NU @ Fenway). You get the feeling Tirone will have to steal a game or two maybe, and he appears capable ... but UNH has to rediscover their scoring touch ASAP or else Tirone is just going to be keeping them close at best. But we knew this stretch was coming, and finally we're seeing what the team is capable of.

I'm still holding out hope, but this is not helping The Quest to say the least. More on that in the next day or two - in the meantime, what happened to get Salvaggio the game misconduct right after the late UNH goal?
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                          Agreed - good call, across the board. I'm hoping they can find a win here and there before UConn, but these last two weekends were opportunities for just that ... and there's just the one point out of 8 (or 2 out of 10 including NU @ Fenway). You get the feeling Tirone will have to steal a game or two maybe, and he appears capable ... but UNH has to rediscover their scoring touch ASAP or else Tirone is just going to be keeping them close at best. But we knew this stretch was coming, and finally we're seeing what the team is capable of.

I'm still holding out hope, but this is not helping The Quest to say the least. More on that in the next day or two - in the meantime, what happened to get Salvaggio the game misconduct right after the late UNH goal?
                          Salvaggio had words with the officials we learned st the FOH meeting as the Jr class was up. Sigh...well a golden opportunity came and went and we got as close as we could tonight. Could care les about the Quest...sorry Chuck! Just annoyed and disappointed. Whether DU gets to the next round number matters squat but I guess it makes for interesting speculation. Scott nailed it pretty much...all uphill from here on in. Losing Eiserman is tough I believe he could've made the/a diff. It is what it is I guess. This season is about getting the future players primed with playing experience as far as I'm concerned, even if it is in the MBPBEGAM HE tourney!

Ps was there a second misconduct penalty given at the end of the game?
                          Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-28-2017, 11:05 PM.
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Salvaggio had words with the officials we learned st the FOH meeting as the Jr class was up. Sigh...well a golden opportunity came and went and we got as close as we could tonight.
                            Thanks for clarifying. I don't see any indication of a second misconduct in the box score BTW.

Could care les about the Quest...sorry Chuck! Just annoyed and disappointed. Whether DU gets to the next round number matters squat but I guess it makes for interesting speculation.
                            No reason to apologize HR - no one will be happier than I (OK maybe not quite - I figure 'watcher will be even more psyched) when the next year plus has come and gone, and things return to whatever constitutes "normal" around here. But let's make no mistake - last year, this season and next is all about Coach and him getting to the next round number. It's not about national championships, Hockey East tourney wins, or even the "mythical" HE regular season title that Coach used to have a strangle hold on. Unless of course you think the soft as a sneakerful of dog crap schedule was/is a coincidence of course. Just my way of calling a spade a spade, I'm afraid.
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Ps was there a second misconduct penalty given at the end of the game?
                              http://hockeyeastonline.com/men/boxe...p?mprvunh1.j28

Comment

The weekend's officiating was not the best. Typically quiet Whitt-fans were yelling at the refs, especially last night. Salvaggio said something to the officials because nothing physical happened on ice for either of his misconducts. Coach could be clearly heard berating the officials with foul language from the bench. He walked toward, yelling at them, in a corner of the rink before the post game handshake. For a minute I thought he might actually accost them. I've never seen him more upset for a sustained period. Post handshake, Cleland skated to and then off the ice with the referees speaking with them calmly the entire time. Hill was in his typical last man off the ice position. If one didn't know better, it looked like he was making a "I've got your back Matias" statement.

As much as the "Why was TK not given a letter?" question may have been answered, it is clear why Cleland wears the "C".
                                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Working...
                                X