Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Didn't know this about Dylan Maller:

http://www.concordmonitor.com/Univer...y-East-7576485
    Wow - bad news, and just horrendous timing. Hope this isn't the end of Maller's UNH career, but it may very well be.

Kudos to Chanter for stepping up, as he's pretty much been the forgotten man on the UNH blue line until recently.

Nonis getting an extended look early in his career can't be a bad thing for his future.

You do have to wonder how this patchwork crew will hold up against a PC team that apparently ground down a strong UML team last weekend. The big sheet will hopefully make that tougher to pull off, but with Leaman emerging from the Walshy coaching tree (which also includes Jim Montgomery of Denver) you can almost see this one coming a mile away.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      Wow - bad news, and just horrendous timing. Hope this isn't the end of Maller's UNH career, but it may very well be.

Kudos to Chanter for stepping up, as he's pretty much been the forgotten man on the UNH blue line until recently.

Nonis getting an extended look early in his career can't be a bad thing for his future.

You do have to wonder how this patchwork crew will hold up against a PC team that apparently ground down a strong UML team last weekend. The big sheet will hopefully make that tougher to pull off, but with Leaman emerging from the Walshy coaching tree (which also includes Jim Montgomery of Denver) you can almost see this one coming a mile away.
      Yeah I am with you; I liked your optimism in the latest "Quest" release but UNH will have their hands full with PC no doubt. I'd like to think we have matched up well in the past but not so sure this time around. It's great to see Chanter out there as he sat so much in his first couple of seasons. I am bummed for Dylan..he came in late to his career, has battled one injury after another it seems, foot issues last season, now this. I hope he's able to come back at some capacity. As for Nonis this does allow him the needed experience. Guess we will find out. Our forwards simply must do a better job in generating offensive zone time and they hopefully will be ready for the forecheck PC will throw on them as I hear it's mighty. (we could do a little more of that, too...come to think of it!) Hey if I'm wrong in any of these "assumptions" please don't hesitate to point it out. I know I am not exactly being a 'homer' here...

I know Nate Leaman has a 'score' to settle with UNH; am hoping for a split at best. I think this weekend's series will be telling, quite honestly, as it's the last of our home games for a weekend. Hard to believe we are already at this point! Go 'Cats!!
      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Coach Umile live right now on the Coaches Show, Dylan Maller on shortly:

http://www.unhwildcats.com/watch/?Live=192

Listened to the interview, thankfully it looks like he might be able to play next weekend. They are waiting on news about Eiserman...knee issue. Umile talked about the past with PC and how they hope to be able to neutralize them while recognizing their big weekend v Lowell. If you are coming to the 'Whitt this weekend there's going to be lots of fan stuff going on, those white noise makers for everyone (I hate those haha), player interaction after the game. Students are back so that's a plus.
        Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-23-2017, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Eiserman with torn MCL. I'd believe this is usually 5 weeks recovery so out for the year.
          The Souza record:
          15-16 10th place
          16-17 10th place
          17-18 11th place
          18-19 8th place
          19-20 9th place
          20-21 10th place
          21-22 9th place
          22-23 10th place

Comment

Injury reported by Alex Hall for the Union Leader.

Info from UCSF Medical Center:
            Recovery times differ depending on the severity of the injury:
            A minor, or grade 1, MCL tear can take from a few days to a week and a half to heal sufficiently for you to return to normal activities, including sports.
            A grade 2 tear can take from two to four weeks to heal.
            A grade 3 tear usually takes from four to eight weeks to heal, unless it is associated with damage to the ACL, in which case the recovery time may be longer.
            The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
              Injury reported by Alex Hall for the Union Leader.

Info from UCSF Medical Center:
              Recovery times differ depending on the severity of the injury:
              A minor, or grade 1, MCL tear can take from a few days to a week and a half to heal sufficiently for you to return to normal activities, including sports.
              A grade 2 tear can take from two to four weeks to heal.
              A grade 3 tear usually takes from four to eight weeks to heal, unless it is associated with damage to the ACL, in which case the recovery time may be longer.
              Bummer!!! This is unfortunate news. Wishing him a speedy recovery...gonna miss the work ethic and talent he brings to the ice...
              Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-26-2017, 02:09 PM.

Comment

This is alumni weekend at the 'Whitt and due to the NHL All Star break it was announced the brothers vanRiemsdyk (James and Trevor) will be attending and signing autographs Saturday from 6:15 to 6:45!
                HR's predictions for the weekend fwiw dept:

Fri: PC 3-UNH 2
                Sat: UNH 2 - PC 1

Go 'Cats!!

Comment

This is alumni weekend at the 'Whitt and due to the NHL All Star break it was announced the brothers vanRiemsdyk (James and Trevor) will be attending and signing autographs Saturday from 6:15 to 6:45!
                  HR's predictions for the weekend fwiw dept:

Go 'Cats!!
                  That's the spirit!!

As far as the Brothers vR - nice to see. JvR having a nice season so far up in YYZ land ...

Comment

That's the spirit!!

As far as the Brothers vR - nice to see. JvR having a nice season so far up in YYZ land ...
                    I plan on giving JvR a mouth guard haha as he's always chewing on his!! Don't know if I can find a green one tho...and have him sign my jersey under TvR's sig, of course. ha!

Comment

As far as the Brothers vR - nice to see.
                      I'm confused Chuck.

Are you speaking positively of two guys who left UNH early?
                      UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

That's probably accurate.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                        -Blackadder
                        "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                        -Casablanca
                        "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                        -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
                          I'm confused Chuck.

Are you speaking positively of two guys who left UNH early?
                          Sure, why not, Felgie? It's clear the vR's relish(ed) their experiences at UNH, support each other, etc. Reflects well on them individually and as a family, and it's also a good reflection on the overall UNH experience.

I still don't find myself tracking JvR's career all that closely. TvR gets graded on a different curve, having exceeded expectations, staying 3 years, and probably would have stayed a 4th if the team was capable of competing for serious hardware and/or he didn't have a close brush with his professional mortality. BvR will be the first 4 year guy in the family.

Just because some would have you believe I "openly root against guys" who leave UNH early ... well, not surprisingly, it's only true if you equate my not being overly enthusiastic about certain early departing players' subsequent pro careers with "openly rooting against" them.

Like you, I think most posters - past, present, and boycotting - are capable of understanding the difference ...

... now where the heck did I leave my frickin' Andrew Poturalski voodoo doll ...

Comment

Well not a big surprise tonight for the most part it was a tough battle. PC obviously is a surging team and it was obvious. Felt we had our chances in the third on our last power play...Hawkey played well enough to shut us out. Speaking of being shut out that's two games now. Missed Eiserman's physicality out there (heard he's done for the season?) but I'm not going to say that we had a totally disastrous night. The first goal with a second left in the first was disappointing (can we just win a face off!!!) and the second came with what, 4 mins to play in the third? But I'll give it to PC they skate very well, and their forecheck is as tough as advertised. I'd say we weren't getting any bounces but that's probably a cop out. Also just looked at the stats and they are closer than I thought. PC had 14 blocked shots to our 8, and outshot us by 3

Was surprised to see we were only off on 3 faceoffs, (of course one of those led to a goal) and neither team scored on PP's. (with UNH having one more PP on the night...as I said our last one led to a lot of dramatic "just miss" moments) Hats off to our Frosh line who played very well against PC's first line; keeping them off the board all night is a big testament to them. (Robbing this comment from a Mike Lowry tweet.... ) Wonder if DU starts them again tomorrow night...?

Like an alternative (haha) universe tonight in HE with UML losing again to NU, and 'Mack sweeping BU Teams are surging and UNH needs to be one of them but we have to get on the board. Not sure who's gonna step up. Anyone else watch the game and have any feedback? I believe we can beat them but we've gotta put the puck in the net.
                            Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-28-2017, 08:30 AM.

Comment

...can we just win a face off!!!..
                              Obviously rhetorical.
                              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Hats off to our Frosh line who played very well against PC's first line; keeping them off the board all night is a big testament to them. (Robbing this comment from a Mike Lowry tweet.... ) Wonder if DU starts them again tomorrow night...?
                                Simply put, BvR was the best player on the ice last night.

Comment

Working...
                                X