Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
    You should really ask Sean Spicer. Seems, at least ecat received his up to date talking points...

BTW, kudos to Kelleher on his 4 ppg over UNHs five game undefeated streak! #alternativefacts
    I get all my up to date info from @realDonaldTrump. Sorry!

#russianhacking
    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Originally posted by Dan View Post
      You should really ask Sean Spicer. Seems, at least ecat received his up to date talking points...

BTW, kudos to Kelleher on his 4 ppg over UNHs five game undefeated streak! #alternativefacts
      Gotcha. I'll just have to try harder to keep up, I suppose. #hopelesslyoutoftouch
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
        I get all my up to date info from @realDonaldTrump. Sorry!

#russianhacking
        Speaking of Twitter - interesting tweet from @realMartyScarano last week. It seems UNHs 5-3 win over Northeastern was a sell-out, continuing the programs 21-year sell-out streak dating back to the opening of the Whitt!!
        Live Free or Die!!
        Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
          Speaking of Twitter - interesting tweet from @realMartyScarano last week. It seems UNHs 5-3 win over Northeastern was a sell-out, continuing the programs 21-year sell-out streak dating back to the opening of the Whitt!!

Lol! Now that's just #fakenews!

Comment

Just trying to reacquaint myself with the real world out there ... watched the unofficial kickoff of the "Madonna 2020" campaign (you folks on the left better start planning to bed in for at least 8 years on the sidelines if that ever comes to pass), and read this interesting take from a very *talented* lady on some of the events of the weekend:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-argument.html

Not sure I'm ever going to be able to look at a 24 oz. can of Coors the same way again.

Comment

Not going to get any easier next week, with a super talented but young PC team starting to get experienced and playing up to their talent.
              The Souza record:
              15-16 10th place
              16-17 10th place
              17-18 11th place
              18-19 8th place
              19-20 9th place
              20-21 10th place
              21-22 9th place
              22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                Not going to get any easier next week, with a super talented but young PC team starting to get experienced and playing up to their talent.
                Yeah you got that right...and riding high after sweeping UML...in fact the rest of the season is pretty much the same. One positive is the newbie UNH players get more valuable experience for the future against these strong teams. Still I wouldn't look past UNH...(not an alternative fact &#128514
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                  Haha! Sorry I missed ya Ref. I was in DC trying to stop Madonna from blowing up the White House!!!-
                  Glad you were there to help e.cat!!! BTW she doesn't speak for me...ugh
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                    Glad you were there to help e.cat!!! BTW she doesn't speak for me...ugh
                    -

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                      Not going to get any easier next week
                      or the week after and the week after that, on an on......

Comment

Had an interesting in between periods interview last night with Erik Condra. As you know, I'm view talent as being the larger component, but he remarked that his first year was Jeff Jackson's first year, and the complete change in culture that Jackson instituted in the last place finish the year before under Poulin. That led to their first title (and averaging 30 wins his soph to senior years). He really stressed the culture thing and the impact that the coaching change had on that.

I know we have talked about Souza's impact on recruiting talent, and Souza's summer interview commented on trying to change the culture to win more close games, but I am curious how that works with the old reminders still in the lockerroom and the next.
                        The Souza record:
                        15-16 10th place
                        16-17 10th place
                        17-18 11th place
                        18-19 8th place
                        19-20 9th place
                        20-21 10th place
                        21-22 9th place
                        22-23 10th place

Comment

WIS Productions brings you the latest edition of "Umile's Last Stand - The _____ for 600"

"Umile's Last Stand - The Quest for 600"

Coach Umile's current career wins total: 582
                          Wins Remaining to the next round number: 18
                          *Games Remaining (Next 2 Seasons - Min.): 48
                          Win Pct. Required to Hit Target: 37.5%
                          WIS Estimated Likelihood of Success: 70%
                          2016/2017 Cupcake Conversion Ratio (CCR): 9/15 (60%)

* - minimum games remaining assumes 34 regular season games, and at least 2 games in the MBPBEGAM "playoffs"

UNH's last-ever conference road trip to Lefty Smith Rink at the Compton Family Ice Arena was a mixed bag of results, as the 'Cats escaped the weekend with a Friday tie against the Fightin' Frauds, before getting shut out on their Saturday night Hockey East finale at NICC. One out of 4 points probably wasn't a bad outcome under the circumstances, and it keeps the 'Cats in the top half of the HE standings, and only a single point out of a home ice seed in the real first round of the HE playoffs (which would mean a bye from the MBPBEGAM silliness). It also means UNH will carry an overall record of at least .500 into the start of February, regardless of the outcome of their two home game series against rejuvenated Providence next weekend. And I do like UNH's chances this coming weekend, but we are reaching that point in the schedule where visualizing where the next "W" is coming from is getting a little bit more challenging ...

... and of course, it's the "W"'s that this season and next are all about as Coach Umile continues to stalk the next round number in "The Quest", and while getting a road point against a (questionably) ranked opponent helps with most things ... it doesn't advance "The Quest" in the slightest. Which is what makes this coming weekend critical for the 'Cats to bounce back and capitalize on home ice with at least a win over the two game PC series. With the past weekend's overall setback allowing NICC to slip past them in the RS standings, and with tough sledding ahead, the smart money is still pointing to the only realistic shot at home postseason hockey involving the silly MBPBEGAM round.

The Big Picture - Coach Umile's Wildcats are approaching the end of January still two games over .500 (with an 11-9-4 record) and three games over .500 in the conference, just past the halfway mark of the HE regular season schedule. But Providence comes to Durham fresh off an impressive sweep of Coach Bazin's Riverhawks, and despite still trailing UNH by 5 points in the conference race, another sweep would eliminate 80% of that margin, and really start setting off the "oh no, not again" warning beacons at The Whitt. Luckily, UNH seems to have some recent history on their side when it comes to PC, and after a weekend where the WIS prognosticators picked a UNH Friday win instead of a tie, and did nail a 3 goal Saturday loss ... it says here that UNH will get at least another W to get things back on track.

But in the interests of "fair and balanced", WIS also feels compelled to point out that potential Hobey candidate Tyler Kelleher has struggled over the last 5 conference games without a goal, and with a single assist (I think - on Friday?) and that is a terrifying sign not only for his standing as a potential Hobey frontrunner, but also for the fortunes of his team. Unfortunately for Kelleher, Providence looks to be a tough defensive squad, and won't be an easy nut to crack. WIS predicts a goal and an assist for Kelleher to slowly emerge from his recent funk.

Predictions:

Friday (Jan. 27th): @ UNH 3 Providence 2
                          Saturday (Jan. 28th): @ UNH 1 Providence 1

NEXT CUPCAKE ON THE SHELF: None on the horizon, at least until the MBPBEGAM playoffs

WIS BRAIN-BUSTING TRIVIA QUESTION: Which NCAA D-1 Men's Hockey program plays their home games at Oceanside Ice Arena?

IS BS35+4 PAYING ATTENTION YET?

Out of sight, out of mind ... BS35+4 still has a winning Men's Hockey team as they return from their last-ever conference road trip to the wonders of Northern Indiana, and with two home games this coming weekend against a program that UNH has done well against during the apex of Friar Hockey history, there's no reason to be concerned, or to think the good guys shouldn't take the series again on home ice with the benefit of Lake Whitt "home cooking". But it's been three games without a "W" for the 'Cats, and if that dip in form were somehow to be extended to five games with nary a point this weekend ... the "nuclear option" of not allowing Coach Umile to finish up the 3rd and final year of his long goodbye tour may start sneaking itself back onto the table, as the next six games after are all against opponents ranked in the Top 12, and all but two of those games will be on the road - with the only home games being one apiece against BC and BU. So while last weekend the pressure was low ... this weekend, that torques up a few notches, because a 5 game winless streak could slip quickly into a double digit winless streak otherwise. And we can't have that (again). But Coach can navigate those choppy waters with a good weekend against PC, and by pulling a rabbit or two out of his hat in the February stretch run before Luce Canaan and his Huskies arrive late to offer a pseudo-cupcake opportunity for a UNH team that's not quite shed their own pseudo-cupcake status 2/3's of the way into the season now.
                          Last edited by Chuck Murray; 01-22-2017, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                            WIS BRAIN-BUSTING TRIVIA QUESTION: Which NCAA D-1 Men's Hockey program plays their home games at Oceanside Ice Arena?
                            Why, those crazy Arizona State Sun Devils of course!
                            UNH

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                              Why, those crazy Arizona State Sun Devils of course!
                              Yes ... in that quaint seaside village known as Tempe AZ.

Comment

Didn't know this about Dylan Maller:

http://www.concordmonitor.com/Univer...y-East-7576485
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X