Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 Vol II -- We Do Have a Hockey Season Here!?!

Take the draw but the Cats had their chances. That equalizer took it out of the guys going into the 3rd.

Comment

Ugh...I know right! I kept saying 'just get through this last minute' which seemed to take FOREVER and bam, there it was....I mean every goalie (even in the pros) get beat on that shot I suppose...and I don't want to be harsh on DT but distance stuff like that is a challenge for him as we know. I loved the compete level for the weekend, and felt the D held on. Maller being out; he played alittle Thursday I thought? Anyway it's important that we got those 3 points as we need every single one of them going forward.

Thank you Maine for helping from the UConn end of it. And I'd like to point out FWIW dept, that UNH fared much better against NU this season than last. Told my husband that we were watching the future of UNH hockey out there; the freshmen continue to come along; guys like Nazarian are playing well. Still pulling for TyK to put up points where he can down the stretch. No one can replace he and Cleland next season it's gotta be a complete team effort.

Big test coming up this weekend out in South Bend. Given how ND did with 'Mack over the weekend the 'Cats could/should have an opportunity to take home some points; flying all the way out there for nothing I doubt is in the play book!
      Last edited by HockeyRef; 01-15-2017, 09:46 AM.
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

WIS Productions brings you the latest edition of "Umile's Last Stand - The _____ for 600"

"Umile's Last Stand - The Quest for 600"

Coach Umile's current career wins total: 582
        Wins Remaining to the next round number: 18
        *Games Remaining (Next 2 Seasons - Min.): 50
        Win Pct. Required to Hit Target: 36%
        WIS Estimated Likelihood of Success: 70%
        2016/2017 Cupcake Conversion Ratio (CCR): 9/15 (60%)

* - minimum games remaining assumes 34 regular season games, and at least 2 games in the MBPBEGAM "playoffs"

The on-ice results for your UNH Wildcats arguably went better than they did in "The Quest", as while ties like Saturday's hard-fought 2-2 road game at Fenway do keep the HE points tally eking forward ... they don't tick another marker off Coach Umile's march towards the next round number. But a nice come-from-behind home win on Thursday evening got the extended weekend's festivities off to a positive start, so settling for a tie on Saturday night - albeit against what was likely the weakest team remaining on the RS schedule - still keeps hope alive that things will at least go well enough to give the Durham faithful some home playoff hockey come March. What we're likely to find out over the coming weekends is whether that home postseason hockey involves or skips past the silly MBPBEGAM round. Smart money still points UNH towards the middle of the HE pack at the conclusion of the regular season (seeds 5-8), but considering the outlook many of us (myself included) had at the start of the season, the 'Cats seem to be slightly ahead of expectations. A concerning trend may be that UNH's emerging Hobey frontrunner (and D-1 leading scorer) Tyler Kelleher has been kept off the scoreboard in UNH's last three conference games. The goose egg against the Riverhawks was understandable; the back-to-back blanking by the Huskies much less so, but the good news is that over those 3 games, UNH went a respectable 1-1-1, and much needed scoring depth continues to emerge.

The Big Picture - WIS experts' projection expected Coach Umile's Wildcats to amass a little more than they did in the 2016 portion of the schedule, but being 3 games over .500 (with an 11-8-3 record) and four games over .500 in the conference this deep into the year are good places for this still-young team to be, especially after last season's stinkeroo. The NU win brings UNH to the 11 win mark, which matches the end-of-season number from '15/'16, and reaching the 15 win mark by the end of the season no longer looks to be a stretch, but rather like the base of what is possible to attain by season's end. And while WIS doesn't see this as a 20 win team, a win total in the upper teens can't be easily dismissed any more. A road weekend against the habitually overrated #13 NICC Fighting Frauds offers UNH a terrific opportunity to continue their modest forwards momentum ... and it says here that UNH will get another W to keep things rolling.

WIS also feels emboldened by what has to have been one of its best weekends ever on the prognostication front, as it was only the late ENG by Patrick Grasso on Thursday night that prevented a two-game dead-on prediction of the NU series. That probably won't happen again anytime soon, but it's enough to keep the panel here engaged in spitting out more predictions of what's to come. The OUIJA board smiles kindly on the 'Cats as we look to next weekend ...

Predictions:

Friday (Jan. 20th): UNH 4 @ NICC 2
        Saturday (Jan. 21st): UNH 1 @ NICC 4

NEXT CUPCAKE ON THE SHELF: None on the horizon, at least until the MBPBEGAM playoffs

IS BS35+4 PAYING ATTENTION YET?

BS35+4 is definitely paying attention, and another weekend (including the high profile Fenway game) without any turbulence from Men's Hockey makes for a very happy AD. Another "win" on the recruiting trail also offers more evidence that the unique succession plan might actually be working. Coach Herrion and his crew also regained some positive momentum after a blip in early '17, so the "Blue Skies" that accounts for the front of his moniker right now almost seems appropriate and fitting. The "nuclear option" of not allowing Coach Umile to finish up the 3rd and final year of his long goodbye tour is almost entirely off the table now, barring an absolute crashing thud end to the season (like last season, for example). This coming weekend on the road - to the program no one is ever going to miss traveling to after this season ends - is as low impact in the short run as it possibly can be. The internal pressure (for now) is off, and confidence has to be building. The opponent is ranked largely by reputation alone. Go get 'em, 'Cats!!
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

So already thinking about this weekend of course! Obviously going to watch the feed, looking at it I guess it's this WatchND? Free like ours?

http://www.watchnd.tv/#!/games/1990657

As the HE screws get tighter around the standings this is such a big weekend points baby, points!
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Page Two? Really?? Is no one else as devastated as I at the looming end of the storied UNH-NICC rivalry???

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              Page Two? Really?? Is no one else as devastated as I at the looming end of the storied UNH-NICC rivalry???
              Crying rivers Chuck, crying rivers of grief!

Anyhoo say what you want about them (NIIC) leaving and all but this is a very big series for both teams, esp. UNH. Picking up points is going to be a huge factor on where we end up, and we can't afford to be without any this weekend. As I recall we were swept by the gold helmets last year! (yep..5-1 and 3-2 in the midst of a 7 game losing streak ) Containing Anders Bjork (Hobey fav) and getting past Cal Petersen will be big tasks... Go 'Cats!!
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

"UNH Captain's Corner: Frozen Fenway"
                The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Well Chuck! How 'bout those Redwings last night? Ugh...
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                    Well Chuck! How 'bout those Redwings last night? Ugh...
                    Honestly, I turned the game off after the first period, was shocked to see them back in the game after the second ... stuck around to see the happy ending. They're such a flawed team, and I don't see any help coming anytime soon where they need it most (clue: same as UNH) but I've been with them when they were the Dead Wings in the late '70's/early '80's and then for the 25 yr. "streak" that I'm still 90% positive will end in April '17. Definitely a new era, needing new blood, especially in the front office. But interesting nonetheless.

Comment

Excellent effort by Jason Salvaggio (assist TyK) 1-1 end of first. Go 'Cats!
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Grasso!!!!
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Live from the Lefty Smith Rink at Compton Family Ice Arena. How quaint.

Not quite the ghosts of Rockne, Gipp and the Four Horsemen playing in front of "Touchdown Jesus" ...

Comment

Fun Facts about Charles "Lefty" Smith

* Resurrected the storied NICC Men's Hockey program in '68 after a 40 year hiatus
                            * All-time winningest NICC head coach. Sources differ on whether he made it to his next round number (300)
                            * All-time losing-est NICC head coach. Sources differ on whether he made it to his next round number (300)
                            * All available sources agree Coach Smith had a losing career record through his '87 retirement
                            * Close friends knew "Lefty" was really a righty, but he really liked the cool nickname

In the meantime, Coach Umile is throwing an aneurysm over a non-call on an obvious offsides that led to NICC's game tying goal. Maybe the ghosts of Lefty Smith had a hand in that one, eh?

Comment

There's been a Paul Pooley sighting on the NICC bench - just reminiscing about the good ol' days of PC Hockey ...

Comment

And the teams will be going to OT at The Southpaw!! GO UNH!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X