hawthr             0- 2- 0   0 points  .000
    RPI fan 4 life     0- 3- 0   0 points  .000
    Gophers #1         0- 3- 0   0 points  .000

For your listening pleasure:

Fight Song
    http://pepband.union.rpi.edu/music/LongHail.mp3

Alma Mater
    http://pepband.union.rpi.edu/music3/...ma%20Mater.mp3
    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 12-03-2016, 01:06 AM.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Re: RPI @ Princeton, Saturday, 12/3/16

Should be a more competitive game tonight.

Lets go red!!!!!!!!!
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin
    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
    Gary Player

Comment

Well, at least we shouldn't be outshot 51-15 like last night.
      Its a scary thought when you start thinking of games against the last place team as "a more competitive game".
      Will be posting in here tonight.. LGR!

Comment

Hi All -

As a frequent lurker, infrequent poster, and 26 year RPI fan, I wanted to post some thoughts for discussion leading up to the "more competitive" game tonight...
        I don't know if the game plan last night was to be more physical and intimidate Quinny, since we couldn't match up to the skill-wise, but if so, it kinda worked, but not really. It was an ugly, ugly game to watch, and they were lucky that Hackett and the crossbar were on their game. But I really noticed that in last nights game and the AZ games, that RPI is playing a style of dump and chase hockey, that just not appear to suit them. With the exception of a few players, we are not a fast, nor big team. We don't have guys in deep to chase the puck, we lose board battles and face-offs, and it feels like most of the time the opposing team gets to the puck and possess it first (and for most of the game). I asked myself WHY they play this way, and again, based on observation the team cannot with any reliability maintain possession and skate the puck into the offensive zone. It seems like all the defensive team needs to do is double-team the puck handler, or even just fore-check aggressively and they will dump it in or cough it up. With two players on the puck, that leaves one of our offensive players open, but we can never get the puck to that player or they are not in position to receive it - so dump and chase. In years past, when Joe Juneau or Kelly Askew had the puck, you knew they would be able to carry the puck into the offensive zone and start to setup a play. Who on the team this year has that skill? Other than our Frosh Hayhurst, I'm struggling... Ignoring last nights penalty fest, I did see improvement in the team staying out of the box. That does need to continue whether playing physical or not, and lets hope coach can get the boys back on track. And finally our play around the net is horrible. When our puck handler is ridden into the corner, there is no one to pass to out front. Our cycling has improved but when we dig the puck off the boards, there is no one to receive it. It feels like we're so concerned about not being ready defensively, we're hanging back, not crashing the net and not pinching in (well, except for Wilson - thanks for your 8 points!). To a man, there is some great individual skill on the roster - we just can seem to figure out how to play as a team to take advance of that skill. Thoughts, comments, criticisms?

See you here for the game tonight! Go RPI!

Comment

Originally posted by Puckfan90 View Post
          Hi All -

As a frequent lurker, infrequent poster, and 26 year RPI fan, I wanted to post some thoughts for discussion leading up to the "more competitive" game tonight...
          I don't know if the game plan last night was to be more physical and intimidate Quinny, since we couldn't match up to the skill-wise, but if so, it kinda worked, but not really. It was an ugly, ugly game to watch, and they were lucky that Hackett and the crossbar were on their game. But I really noticed that in last nights game and the AZ games, that RPI is playing a style of dump and chase hockey, that just not appear to suit them. With the exception of a few players, we are not a fast, nor big team. We don't have guys in deep to chase the puck, we lose board battles and face-offs, and it feels like most of the time the opposing team gets to the puck and possess it first (and for most of the game). I asked myself WHY they play this way, and again, based on observation the team cannot with any reliability maintain possession and skate the puck into the offensive zone. It seems like all the defensive team needs to do is double-team the puck handler, or even just fore-check aggressively and they will dump it in or cough it up. With two players on the puck, that leaves one of our offensive players open, but we can never get the puck to that player or they are not in position to receive it - so dump and chase. In years past, when Joe Juneau or Kelly Askew had the puck, you knew they would be able to carry the puck into the offensive zone and start to setup a play. Who on the team this year has that skill? Other than our Frosh Hayhurst, I'm struggling... Ignoring last nights penalty fest, I did see improvement in the team staying out of the box. That does need to continue whether playing physical or not, and lets hope coach can get the boys back on track. And finally our play around the net is horrible. When our puck handler is ridden into the corner, there is no one to pass to out front. Our cycling has improved but when we dig the puck off the boards, there is no one to receive it. It feels like we're so concerned about not being ready defensively, we're hanging back, not crashing the net and not pinching in (well, except for Wilson - thanks for your 8 points!). To a man, there is some great individual skill on the roster - we just can seem to figure out how to play as a team to take advance of that skill. Thoughts, comments, criticisms?

I have to agree with everything you said. The worst part of the dump and chase system is when we try to use it on the power play. We dump and they send it the length of the ice.
          There is very little puck possession at any time during the game. Praps can carry the puck, but he never passes it. He could be that player that opens up the ice for us, but he has to give up the puck to a forward.
          Lately, he hasn't even carried the puck that much. I thought that he might be hurting or that the coaches told him to tone it down.
          Lets just take it one game at a time.

lets go red!!!!!!!!!
          Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
          Benjamin Franklin
          The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
          Gary Player

Comment

Unfortunately I will not be at the game. Yes it's the closest RPI game to me. I've been to about 20 of them in Princeton, so missing one, and it's a BIG alumni event, I can pass. I'll listen on WRPI.

And while I dislike both teams, I will happily watch the SEC Championship football game. My Tennessee Volunteers aren't there, but so be it.
            JPC '96

Comment

Hi All -

Kelly Askew? My recollection was that he skated faster than he could keep control of the puck and often lost it on the way.
              Last edited by Ralph Baer; 12-03-2016, 12:31 PM.
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                Kelly Askew? :confused" My recollection was that he skated faster than he could keep control of the puck and often lost it on the way.
                Wait, *that's* your critique from my mid-morning brain dump? Well... I may be a little biased, as Kelly's era was the handful of years I had season tickets and he was a personal favorite. Always been partial to the smaller, faster skaters that RPI has had over the years. How about Matt Murley, Eric Healey or Marc Cavosie instead?

Comment

I will be at the game tonight, so this will be my only post on this thread.

I know RPI has some guys on the team who have the ability to score goals.

Sure hope tonight is the night that a few of them show off that ability.

Comment

Wait, *that's* your critique from my mid-morning brain dump? Well... I may be a little biased, as Kelly's era was the handful of years I had season tickets and he was a personal favorite. Always been partial to the smaller, faster skaters that RPI has had over the years. How about Matt Murley, Eric Healey or Marc Cavosie instead?
                    No need to comment upon the rest.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                      I will be at the game tonight, so this will be my only post on this thread.

I know RPI has some guys on the team who have the ability to score goals.

Sure hope tonight is the night that a few of them show off that ability.
                      Say "Hi" to DrD if he is there.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Scratches: Wood, Rappaport, Reisinger, Marrello, Moore, Manley, and McBain
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Hackett or Perry?

Comment

WRPI is signing on.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                              X