UMD @ DU Dec. 9-10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UMD @ DU Dec. 9-10

I'm so excited for this series so I'm starting this thread a week early. UMD has another weekend off, we will see how DU does as it looks pretty likely this should be a #1/#2 matchup next week both in national polls and at the top of the NCHC. Even if DU were to sweep CC this weekend, UMD will still have at least a point on them in the standings. In the past dozen years, UMD has won a conference tournement, national championship, a few hobey baker awards but you have to go back to the early 90's to their last regular season conference title so kind of exciting to be a UMD fan. As always, I expect UND to come steamrolling back late season but we're getting far enough into the season that we can start speculating just a bit more. Last time that I remember UMD and DU meeting as the national #1/#2 matchup was back in December 2010 when UMD played it's final game in the DECC. That year ended pretty well for us, so pardon me for some excitement.

I'm going to pick the safe route and go with a split, or UMD winning one and losing in the overtime. Dogs have really impressed almost every game this year.

Is Hunter Miska going to be in net next weekend? I know he was involved in some activities at the end of the last game they played in Omaha.
    Last edited by UMD21; 12-05-2016, 02:45 PM.
    I wanna go fast!

Re: UMD @ DU Dec. 9-10

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
    I'm so excited for this series so I'm starting this thread a week early. UMD has another weekend off, we will see how DU does as it looks pretty likely this should be a #1/#2 matchup next week both in national polls and at the top of the NCHC. Even if DU were to sweep CC this weekend, UMD will still have at least a point on them in the standings. In the past dozen years, UMD has won a conference tournement, national championship, a few hobey baker awards but you have to go back to the early 90's to their last regular season conference title so kind of exciting to be a UMD fan. As always, I expect UND to come steamrolling back late season but we're getting far enough into the season that we can start speculating just a bit more. Last time that I remember UMD and DU meeting as the national #1/#2 matchup was back in December 2010 when UMD played it's final game in the DECC. That year ended pretty well for us, so pardon me for some excitement.

Anyways, who's going? Felt kinda bad, I got a mailer advertising $10 tickets when you use promo code "letsgodu", it let me get four tickets on the second row--seems like that had to have been a glitch but I'll take it!

I'm going to pick the safe route and go with a split, or UMD winning one and losing in the overtime. Dogs have really impressed almost every game this year.

Is Hunter Miska going to be in net next weekend? I know he was involved in some activities at the end of the last game they played in Omaha.
    Very exciting series and might be one of the best of the year. I can't wait for this series. UMD has impressed me each weekend as well, a regular season title is well within their grasp and may not be the only trophy they win this year. I haven't been this impressed with a UMD team in my 10 years. That is causing me to think they might be the best UMD team I've seen...but it's way too early to be adamant about that

I am making my first trip to DU and cannot wait to leave. One week from right now I'll be in Denver!

Miska will be in net next weekend, and the other question is...

Will UMD be rested? Or Rusty?
    tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Also, any suggestions on pregame places, beer or food places let me know. Sure there's a million things but how about common places near DU and maybe some cool places for out of towners in Denver.
      tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
        Also, any suggestions on pregame places, beer or food places let me know. Sure there's a million things but how about common places near DU and maybe some cool places for out of towners in Denver.
        Let us take care of the Tiggers first, then we'll answer

r

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
          Let us take care of the Tiggers first, then we'll answer

r
          well?
          tUMD Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Biddco View Post
            well?
            The most popular pregame places are C&G (Crimson & Gold), which is on University between Asbury and Evans, walkable to the arena; and The Pioneer, which is a bit south of campus on University, longer walk to the arena (.7 mile, or so). C&G has normal bar food, decent beers, TVs, etc. The Pioneer is a mexican restaurant, pretty good food, lots of TVs, rooftop patio (it's going to be in the 50s this weekend).

Less popular places include: Merchants, which I haven't been to since it was the Border, probably 7 years ago. It's walkable, no idea if they have food; Illegal Pete's, a burrito place very much like Chipotle, only they have a full bar, it's probably a half mile from the arena; Stadium Inn, where I generally pregame, small, $hit-ty, dirty dive bar, with the cheapest drinks in Denver ($2 bourbon, $3 jamo/skyy/fireball...all the time), also 1/2 mile or so from Magness, the original Chipotle & the aforementioned Illegal Petes are across the street, Stadium doesn't serve food; There's a brewery on the same block as Stadium, Fermaentra, decent beer. Also on that block are a Noodles & Co., and a Snarf's sandwich shop (which also has a full bar).

Sadly, one of the more popular pregame establishments, Campus Lounge, has closed down.

Can't wait for this series!

r

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
              The most popular pregame places are C&G (Crimson & Gold), which is on University between Asbury and Evans, walkable to the arena; and The Pioneer, which is a bit south of campus on University, longer walk to the arena (.7 mile, or so). C&G has normal bar food, decent beers, TVs, etc. The Pioneer is a mexican restaurant, pretty good food, lots of TVs, rooftop patio (it's going to be in the 50s this weekend).

Less popular places include: Merchants, which I haven't been to since it was the Border, probably 7 years ago. It's walkable, no idea if they have food; Illegal Pete's, a burrito place very much like Chipotle, only they have a full bar, it's probably a half mile from the arena; Stadium Inn, where I generally pregame, small, $hit-ty, dirty dive bar, with the cheapest drinks in Denver ($2 bourbon, $3 jamo/skyy/fireball...all the time), also 1/2 mile or so from Magness, the original Chipotle & the aforementioned Illegal Petes are across the street, Stadium doesn't serve food; There's a brewery on the same block as Stadium, Fermaentra, decent beer. Also on that block are a Noodles & Co., and a Snarf's sandwich shop (which also has a full bar).

Sadly, one of the more popular pregame establishments, Campus Lounge, has closed down.

Can't wait for this series!

r
              Solid. We usually go to Crimson & Gold. I just bought tickets for Friday as well.
              What's really crazy is DU is third in national championships behind Michigan and North Dakota yet you can get 2nd row tickets pretty last minute for a #1/2 series for $10 on promo. I felt pretty bad using "letsgodu' promo code as a UMD fan but I promise I will spend all that saved money on beers at the game :-)

Biddy glad to hear you're making the trip--we might have to meet up. I don't know if we've ever met personally maybe at the student ticket camp out I don't remember but I've seen you around I think we graduated around the same year (2010). We'll be in section 8, seems thats typically where UMD fans are around
              I wanna go fast!

Comment

Originally posted by UMD21 View Post
                Solid. We usually go to Crimson & Gold. I just bought tickets for Friday as well.
                What's really crazy is DU is third in national championships behind Michigan and North Dakota yet you can get 2nd row tickets pretty last minute for a #1/2 series for $10 on promo. I felt pretty bad using "letsgodu' promo code as a UMD fan but I promise I will spend all that saved money on beers at the game :-)

Biddy glad to hear you're making the trip--we might have to meet up. I don't know if we've ever met personally maybe at the student ticket camp out I don't remember but I've seen you around I think we graduated around the same year (2010). We'll be in section 8, seems thats typically where UMD fans are around
                That sounds like the place to be before the game...I'll see if we can make it there on Friday and Saturday. I thought that promo was gone but now Ill buy it...what a deal!

We will have to meet up! Look for my mohawk hat! I graduated in 2011 but sounds like we were there at the same time! I did the last student campout in fall 2007...I'm sure I'll recognize you. I'll get tickets in section 7 or 8...sounds like the spot to be!
                tUMD Hockey

Comment

UMD has been slow to get going in many games this season and I think they will also be Rusty after 2 weeks off. I think Denver will win Friday and UMD's 2 weeks off will pay off Saturday. Even though Denver is only back by 1 point in the standings, UMD has 2 games in hand. A split on the road against a tough team like Denver would be a very good outcome. GO DOGS!

Comment

Originally posted by oldchfan View Post
                    UMD has been slow to get going in many games this season and I think they will also be Rusty after 2 weeks off. I think Denver will win Friday and UMD's 2 weeks off will pay off Saturday. Even though Denver is only back by 1 point in the standings, UMD has 2 games in hand. A split on the road against a tough team like Denver would be a very good outcome. GO DOGS!

Actually, they've both played 8 conference games, DU is 5-0-3 (2sow), Duluth is 7-1. There are no games in hand.

r

Comment

I stand corrected. Thanks

Comment

Of note for DU, they played this past weekend without (arguably) their best player, Henrik Borgstrom. He's sidelined with an illness of some sort, and according to the coach's postgame comments, their medical staff can't figure out what's wrong with him. They're a good team without him, but he adds an x-factor that few others at this level can. Hopefully he gets well.

r

Comment

Originally posted by oldchfan View Post
                          UMD has been slow to get going in many games this season and I think they will also be Rusty after 2 weeks off. I think Denver will win Friday and UMD's 2 weeks off will pay off Saturday. A split on the road against a tough team like Denver would be a very good outcome. GO DOGS!
                          Couldn't have said it better
                          tUMD Hockey

Comment

Gameday! Let's go Bulldogs!
                            tUMD Hockey

Comment

Any update on Borgstrom's availability this weekend?

Comment

Working...
                              X