Friendship Four Tournament

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friendship Four Tournament

It's good to see that the Friendship Four Tournament Will Return In 2017 And 2018.

The Odyssey Trust, owners of the Stena Line Belfast Giants and The SSE Arena, Belfast, have announced the Friendship Four ice-hockey tournament will return for two further years.
    The participating teams along with ticketing information will be announced in January at the Frozen Fenway tournament in Boston.
    Any rumors on what teams will be participating?

Re: Friendship Four Tournament

Clarkson and RPI from the ECAC
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I pointed it out in the Providence thread but I've heard Providence, also heard a rumor of BU but it was pointed out to me they usually play a Thanksgiving game at MSG every other year, maybe there was a mixup and the person meant to say BC but that would mean BC and Providence would be playing back to back years with one team each having to give up a home game. I emailed the Friendship Four email they have listed on their site and was told an official announcement would be coming in January.

Comment

I had heard a rumor earlier this year about BU and it ended up being Amherst and Vermont this time around. I had also heard Lowell was offered an opportunity to return this year to defend their title from last year but declined.

I think having maybe Harvard and Yale along with BU and BC would be quite appealing to tournament organizers on top of the fact that I bet a decent number of fans/alumni from those schools would make the trip over.
        Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
        Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
        Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

BU is signed on to play Red Hot Hockey again next Thanksgiving; if BU is participating in the Friendship Four, it would be 2018 at the earliest. I've heard similar rumors in recent weeks about BU going Belfast, so I guess we'll have to wait until Frozen Fenway to confirm whether it's true.

Comment

Originally posted in the St Lawrence thread but definitely appropriate for this one:

As a random Northeastern fan who made the trip last year, I'll echo all of the positive sentiments expressed above--and then some. The arena is first class, the fans are knowledgeable and enthusiastic, and one of the street-level retail businesses at SSE Arena is Rockies, a watering hole owned by Canadian expats that is nothing less than The Mother of All Hockey Bars. And the Titanic Museum, right next door to the arena, is a "must see." Finally, wander down to the City Hall area on Sunday morning and grab a sightseeing bus that will take you on a tour of the Antrim Coast. Beyond the dramatic scenery, the tour also includes a stop at the Bushmills Distillery.

Additional advice for anyone contemplating a trip next year is to plan some days either before or after the tournament to take in Dublin and whatever other parts of the Irish Republic you have time for. It will be time well-spent.
            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Went this year to support SLU. I'll echo Split-N's suggestions.

Rockies is a tremendous place, got to talk to the owner (Jim Graves) for a few hours Friday night, and again Saturday. It wasn't busy late Friday night, so he took us around the bar and told us about all the memorabilia, well over an hour. It is skewed towards Canadian pieces, but there are some very, very neat and unusual things there.

I'll also add that Crumlin Road Gaol (jail) is worth a tour. Operated from 1846-1996, and had 17 executions. Pretty neat and interesting place.

We didn't manage to get down and walk around the peace wall area, though did take a double decker bus tour through the area.

If your team is invited in the next couple years (or beyond), I highly recommend the trip. The people are very welcoming, the event is first class, and there is a lot to do and see outside of hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                Clarkson and RPI from the ECAC
                Is that a rumor or a fact?
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by riverchief1 View Post
                  I think having maybe Harvard and Yale along with BU and BC would be quite appealing to tournament organizers on top of the fact that I bet a decent number of fans/alumni from those schools would make the trip over.
                  Yes, I would really like a reason to make this road trip!

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson on the Glass View Post
                    Yes, I would really like a reason to make this road trip!
                    All of the Lowell fans I've spoken to who made the trip last year said it was an absolutely fantastic experience. Between seeing the sites and the very well run and organized tournament, a very good experience all around.
                    Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
                    Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
                    Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

I had heard a rumor earlier this year about BU and it ended up being Amherst and Vermont this time around. I had also heard Lowell was offered an opportunity to return this year to defend their title from last year but declined.

I too would love to see BU go, but there's a 0% chance any of BU, BC, or Harvard would sign on to go to a tournament with the other two at the same time since it'd essentially be a Beanpot redux. Is this a northeast only event? Throw in Maine, PC, UNH, Yale, maybe convince Cornell to come over instead of playing in front of a half-full MSG and you've got a quality draw. Stagger BU, BC, and Harvard over separate years and I'm sure they'd be interested with the apparent success of the event.
                      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

This would be great because right now you never see BC,BU and Harvard in a tourney together every year.
                        New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                          I too would love to see BU go, but there's a 0% chance any of BU, BC, or Harvard would sign on to go to a tournament with the other two at the same time since it'd essentially be a Beanpot redux. Is this a northeast only event? Throw in Maine, PC, UNH, Yale, maybe convince Cornell to come over instead of playing in front of a half-full MSG and you've got a quality draw. Stagger BU, BC, and Harvard over separate years and I'm sure they'd be interested with the apparent success of the event.
                          Will only happen if the AD gets vocal. All team expenses paid. I would encourage any of those schools alumni to push for trip. Was a great experience and the history of Belfast along with today's dynamic City makes for a week of great family fun. Then the tournament and treatment by locales is first class! I went over a sceptic came back a big fan of Belfast.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                            Is that a rumor or a fact?
                            Strong rumor. Weren't we supposed to play in China this year?
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank81 View Post
                              Will only happen if the AD gets vocal. All team expenses paid. I would encourage any of those schools alumni to push for trip. Was a great experience and the history of Belfast along with today's dynamic City makes for a week of great family fun. Then the tournament and treatment by locales is first class! I went over a sceptic came back a big fan of Belfast.
                              I'd love to see BU go over there, just not to play BC and Harvard.
                              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Working...
                              X