Breaking - Holy Cross to go D-I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking - Holy Cross to go D-I

I've been on this story for a bit. Here's the official story. Look for more later in the year. I'll also be doing a follow-up story next week on the NEHC and its decision to go DIII only, and what it means for St. Michael's, St. Anselm, and Franklin Pierce.

http://www.uscho.com/2016/10/28/holy...to-division-i/
    "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

"Wanna go get sugared up on mochas?" - Willow Rosenberg

Check my website. College hockey; it's what it's all about!

Re: Breaking - Holy Cross to go D-I

Strongly looking like Holy Cross women are going WHEA
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by Arafel View Post
      I'll also be doing a follow-up story next week on the NEHC and its decision to go DIII only, and what it means for St. Michael's, St. Anselm, and Franklin Pierce.
      I'm very interested in this. I'm hoping the answer is that they go D3 as well so that I can have 3 extra spaces on my spreadsheets for potential new D1 programs haha

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
        I'm very interested in this. I'm hoping the answer is that they go D3 as well so that I can have 3 extra spaces on my spreadsheets for potential new D1 programs haha
        Do you mean you hope they do D-I? Doubtful. They'd have to upgrade all their programs if they do. Those schools are all D-II in their other programs.
        "So life's a *****. What do you want to do, cry about it? " - Kara "Starbuck" Thrace

Comment

Do you mean you hope they do D-I? Doubtful. They'd have to upgrade all their programs if they do. Those schools are all D-II in their other programs.
          No I meant D3 -- they're on my spreadsheet, but grayed out. If they go D3 I can use those slots for any future D1 teams rather than have to spend another 12 hours updating the spreadsheet like I had to do when Merrimack elevated.

(I'm selfish like that)

Comment

I've been on this story for a bit. Here's the official story. Look for more later in the year. I'll also be doing a follow-up story next week on the NEHC and its decision to go DIII only, and what it means for St. Michael's, St. Anselm, and Franklin Pierce.

http://www.uscho.com/2016/10/28/holy...to-division-i/
            Not really news since Holy Cross had to move up from D-3.
            Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Strongly looking like Holy Cross women are going WHEA
              Makes the most sense...
              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

No I meant D3 -- they're on my spreadsheet, but grayed out. If they go D3 I can use those slots for any future D1 teams rather than have to spend another 12 hours updating the spreadsheet like I had to do when Merrimack elevated.

(I'm selfish like that)
                Well again, the issue is that all the rest of their sports are D-II. So they can't, unless they drop the entire school down. Remember D-II can offer scholarships, and D-III can't, and those three schools have some non-hockey sports that are nationally competitive at D-II.

Anyway, look for my follow-up article on that next week, probably Thursday.

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                  Not really news since Holy Cross had to move up from D-3.
                  It is news in that there had been no formal announcement prior to this, and the women could have done something like Sacred Heart, just play an independent and not try to affiliate, or just tried to play an independent D-II/D-III schedule. That HC is looking to join one of the conferences shows a commitment.

Comment

Well again, the issue is that all the rest of their sports are D-II. So they can't, unless they drop the entire school down. Remember D-II can offer scholarships, and D-III can't, and those three schools have some non-hockey sports that are nationally competitive at D-II.

Anyway, look for my follow-up article on that next week, probably Thursday.
                    That's fascinating... looking forward to it!

Comment

It is news in that there had been no formal announcement prior to this, and the women could have done something like Sacred Heart, just play an independent and not try to affiliate, or just tried to play an independent D-II/D-III schedule. That HC is looking to join one of the conferences shows a commitment.
                      Just been around Holy Cross the last couple of years and they clearly were planning on moving up to D-1.
                      Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

You could put Holy Cross, Sacred Heart and the D-IIs in a conference and qualify for the National Collegiate Championship if they can get 6 conference members.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                          Just been around Holy Cross the last couple of years and they clearly were planning on moving up to D-1.
                          Agreed- my son is going there (plays another sport) and they take great pride in having such large number of D1 sports for a relatively small school. Very strong athletic tradition

Comment

Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
                            Agreed- my son is going there (plays another sport) and they take great pride in having such large number of D1 sports for a relatively small school. Very strong athletic tradition
                            That's true, but having attended HC as well, the school has a tradition of backing away from attempts to elevate the athletics program. Exhibit A is the Big East, which HC was invited to join when it was founded. Exhibit B would be the ECAC application in 2006. They also downgraded the football program.

Comment

Originally posted by Sieve1 View Post
                              Then why did they play in a Division III league for 15 years that they weren't able to compete for a conference title in?
                              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                              GO LAKERS!!!
                              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                              Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
                              X