Surprising Maine Prediction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surprising Maine Prediction

Saw someone on Yahoo saying Maine will be below .500 by the end of December. Maine will be above .500 at the end of December. If you remember last year against UND Maine was horribly outplayed, the shots were in the 40’s for UND and in the teens for Maine, and Rob had a hot game which is why they tied. This year Rob has had a hot 4 games, and although he was a big part of it, he was far from the sole reason they won those first three. Maine outplayed RPI Friday no question about it the game was over halfway through. Saturday their age showed when they were losing going into the third, but a rally led them to victory as they dominated the third period because essentially they had to. Also both of RPI goals were shorthanded, and even with the crazy amount of power plays they had they didn’t score one power play goal which special teams wise is appalling but 5 on 5 wise is impressive against a Decent RPI team. Friday against Quinnipiac the ref’s were awful there were 20 penalties called, which for a Maine team that has struggled to find its special teams identity should not have boded well. Maine outplayed Quinnipiac 5 on 5. McGovern was huge, but Maine outplayed them and deserved that win, the comeback was great, but Maine deserved to win that game. Saturday again they did not play as well in the beginning but they did what they had to do to come back and force OT for the second night straight against a great Quinnipiac squad, they had all the momentum outplayed them in the third and could have easily won that game as well.

Main Points
    1. Maine did not outplay one good team last year, or come even close to playing even with them. They already have this year.

2. McGovern couldn’t put 2 good games together last year. He has already put four together this year.

3. From the beginning of last year Maine had 0 confidence it was very noticeable. They have a certain swagger this year that can carry them a long way.

4. Underclassman were irrelevant last year. We all know how relevant they are already.

5. Maine had two sellouts against Quinnipiac, the people in Orono are excited and will continue to go to games. With a packed Alfond, any team in the country should take a split against Maine, even today.

Prediction: Maine will split with BC at home, losing in Portland, but winning in Orono, they will split with Lowell winning at home losing on the road, they will split with Ohio winning Friday losing Saturday, and they will sweep a mediocre Colgate team that would have trouble splitting with RPI. At the end of these four series Maine will be 8-4 and in the top 20 in both the Pairwise and the Polls.
    Last edited by BlackBear99; 10-18-2016, 05:12 PM.

Re: Surprising Maine Prediction

Wait who's Ohio?

Miami is in Florida.

The article (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaa-ho...135555310.html) said it's conceivable you guys lose all 8.
    Last edited by UML Puck Hawk; 10-19-2016, 08:54 AM.
    BS UMass Lowell 2015
    PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Miami of Ohio. In Miami, Ohio.
      His prediction was Maine is below 500 mine is Maine will be above 500. I fixed it.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackBear99 View Post
        Miami of Ohio. In Miami, Ohio.
        His prediction was Maine is below 500 mine is Maine will be above 500. I fixed it.
        Miami is in Florida and M of O is in Oxford, Ohio
        SLU65

Comment

The old girl was rockin'

Comment

A split at miami would be awesome.
            Where do they discuss college hockey on yahoo?

Comment

Nice to be Positive after so many years of being down and out, but with that said hang on and see what the next 4 road games bring and then when they open there Hockey East season versus BC....3-1-0 going into the road series and splits in both are more likely...and the BC series could be a toss-up....would rather see a series at Maine for both as the way its set up Maine travels down to Portland Thursday night and travels back to Orono on Friday after the game...both teams are traveling but "IF" series had been set for Orono on both nights I would have liked Maine's chances better.....maybe 6-4-0 after ten games.

Comment

BREAKING: Paul Kariya disguises himself as a freshman, leads Maine to National Championship contender.

Comment

I feel good now knowing where this team is headed. Thanks for sharing. Can we now discuss the future of uhn and uvm?
                  sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan Lennon View Post
                    Miami is in Florida and M of O is in Oxford, Ohio
                    M of o ? Did u mean umo or uno or umlol? Conclusion is,,,,autocorrect sucks
                    sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
                      I feel good now knowing where this team is headed. Thanks for sharing. Can we now discuss the future of uhn and uvm?
                      The 'Cats are off to the NC bakery to polish off some cupcakes, while UVM still owns that preseason hazing thing.
                      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

While there are a lot of people (mostly Maine fans) that would like to see the Black Bears return to elite status in college hockey........there are also many haters that hope that they don't.

I was at the game on Saturday (OT loss). It was the first game that I have attended in years and I don't think that I was alone in that regard (Alfond was about 98% full). This team passes the eye test. They work hard the entire game, play well together, and can actually pass and shoot the puck. They now have a solid #1 goaltender as well.

My 2 big takeaways from this weekend:

1. Maine will be competitive all season and will be in most games from start to finish.

2. Maine hockey fans WILL return to this bandwagon with consistent efforts and winning.

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                          While there are a lot of people (mostly Maine fans) that would like to see the Black Bears return to elite status in college hockey........there are also many haters that hope that they don't.

I was at the game on Saturday (OT loss). It was the first game that I have attended in years and I don't think that I was alone in that regard (Alfond was about 98% full). This team passes the eye test. They work hard the entire game, play well together, and can actually pass and shoot the puck. They now have a solid #1 goaltender as well.

My 2 big takeaways from this weekend:

1. Maine will be competitive all season and will be in most games from start to finish.

2. Maine hockey fans WILL return to this bandwagon with consistent efforts and winning.
                          Agree with this. The other big takeaway for me so far has been that there are no glaring deficiencies like we have seen in the last 10 years or so. I do hope Red starts to play Morris some as the last thing we need is Bub to wear himself out.
                          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by BlackBear99 View Post
                            Saw someone on Yahoo saying Maine will be below .500 by the end of December. Maine will be above .500 at the end of December.
                            My guess is it was Ryan Lambert. You have to take Ryan with a grain of salt. He's a fancy stats guy and he likes to speak and write in certainties. Right now, for him, it's BU and nothing else.

It would be nice to see Maine turn the program around.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaa-ho...medium=twitter

Although a little misguided in the details I would have to agree with the overall message of the article. And no I am not a Ryan Lambert fan, and no I am not being a pessimist, rather a realist. Maine is still climbing the ladder and although the team has put together two weekends in a row that we haven't seen in Orono for a long time, those two weekends do not anoint us "king of the hill". I believe it is important to hope for continued improvement throughout the year knowing that we will take some lumps along the way, and perhaps we will see a home conference playoff series in Orono. With the quality recruits coming in over the next couple of years my expectations will change. However, for now I am enjoying the black bears for what the team is; a young up and coming team looking to return to the upper echelon of hockey east. In order to get back to the top of hockey east we first need to prove we are better than the other middling to bottom teams in the conference (UConn, UVM, UNH, Merrimack, Amherst). I am optimistic this will happen with time, but I am also cautious to not let the cart get ahead of the horse. Looking forward to a fun season!

Go Blue!!
                              UMaine Black Bears Recruit Info Site GO BLUE!!

Comment

Working...
                              X