Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fun With Numbers: Pairwise, KRACH, and Otherwise '16-'17

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    You just wait, once global warming takes full effect and your precious lakes stop freezing over, the east will rise again!
    Bold prediction: Hockey East wins the title next year. Early indications are that it'll be Providence.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      Bold prediction: Hockey East wins the title next year. Early indications are that it'll be Providence.
      It's funny you mention that -- PC has been the 11th best team in KRACH since November 1st. 7th (!) since December 1st.
      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

It's funny you mention that -- PC has been the 11th best team in KRACH since November 1st. 7th (!) since December 1st.
        IMO, they'd be the perfect HEA team to win it all. The rest of you wouldn't know if you should be happy or mad. And the rest of the country would just marvel at the ugly uniforms.

Comment

You just wait, once global warming takes full effect and your precious lakes stop freezing over, the east will rise again!
          You've seen what happens to the east coast in "Day After Tomorrow" right?
          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
            You've seen what happens to the east coast in "Day After Tomorrow" right?
            ........Okay that's the best point anyone has ever made on this forum.

Comment

No need to wait, we started to put in artificial ice at a few rinks more than 5 years ago!
              http://www.arenamaps.com/arenas/Minnesota.htm
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I'm having some thoughts on the Pairwise and there's a chance things could shake out incredibly messy.

If UMD and UM end up #5 and #6 (not out of the realm of possibility at all, since there's a big gap from 6 to 7 and they both have to play ND x2 and UW x2 before the regular season is out), and if UW stays #1, you're almost definitely going to have:

#6 UMD/UM @ #1 Wisconsin
                #8 @ #2 SLU/Clarky/BC
                #7 @ #3 SLU/Clarky/BC
                #5 UM/UMD @ #4 SLU/Clarky/BC

This is regardless of who the CHA champion is, whether they're eastern or not, because if they are #7, then #8 will be eastern and a bus trip to #2, and whether they are #8, then #7 will be eastern and a bus trip to #3.

"UM/UMD at 5/6 and UW at 1" are not even close to being "locks" -- 2 through 6 are still entirely a shuffle -- but if it does happen, that's a pretty messy bracket.

Comment

The more I look at this bracket, the more I'm wondering where all the depth you talk about is. Maybe I've just got a bad case of apathy.

Comment

The more I look at this bracket, the more I'm wondering where all the depth you talk about is. Maybe I've just got a bad case of apathy.
                    Answer me this, if Wisconsin weren't in this tournament could you confidently eliminate anyone not from the CHA from having a chance? I couldn't. Even Cornell and Princeton are en fuego.

Comment

More musings:

Of the 4 teams in the logjam for 2nd through 6th, UMD, UM, SLU, Clarkson, and BC all end with pretty tough schedules. BC's is probably the easiest of the bunch but it's deceptively tough -- after they play UConn this weekend (who is average, not terrible), the worst team they have left is #16 Vermont. Somehow PC is 15th in the Pairwise?!

Last 6 games (in reverse order of PWR)

UMD: SCSU, SCSU, NoDak, NoDak, Wisco, Wisco
                      UM: Kato, Kato, NoDak, NoDak, Wisco, Wisco
                      BC: UConn, UVM, PC, PC, NU, NU
                      SLU: DU, HU, QU, Colgate, PU, Cornell
                      Clarky: DU, HU, QU, Colgate, PU, Cornell

The parity this year is just bananas. I could not begin to guess who is going to finish where of these 5 teams. But, I am willing to bet you will see a tournament that will shake out as:

1 Wisconsin
                      2/3/4/5/6 BC/Clarky/MN/MN-D/SLU (alphabetical)
                      7 Cornell or Princeton (or I guess Colgate or Quinny, but I would bet on the first two)
                      8 CHA (though Bobby Mo could end up 7th without that much trouble)
                      Last edited by TonyTheTiger20; 01-31-2017, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Answer me this, if Wisconsin weren't in this tournament ...
                        Another one of those years where the sport would be a lot better off if we could just eliminate Wisconsin. There are a lot of teams out there that you could describe as, "average, not terrible."

Comment

Another one of those years where the sport would be a lot better off if we could just eliminate Wisconsin.
                          The sport, America, planet earth... you know what ARM, I think we finally agree about something! Let's just shoot the state of Wisconsin into the sun and get it over with.

Comment

The sport, America, planet earth... you know what ARM, I think we finally agree about something! Let's just shoot the state of Wisconsin into the sun and get it over with.
                            I don't think Wisconsin is properly balanced for a good launch. We'll have to strap Ohio on as a counterweight.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                              I don't think Wisconsin is properly balanced for a good launch. We'll have to strap Ohio on as a counterweight.
                              That's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Comment

Somehow PC is 15th in the Pairwise?!
                                PC has a decent chance of outscoring BC and Minnesota this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X