Minnesota Gophers Season Thread - 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Season Thread - 2016-2017

Doesn't that make sense though? The best teams in he tournament get preference for travel.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Doesn't that make sense though? The best teams in he tournament get preference for travel.
      Agreed. Now, if there is ANY way to get UND and MN in the same bracket without bending the seedings too much, the NCAA will do that, IMO.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        Agreed. Now, if there is ANY way to get UND and MN in the same bracket without bending the seedings too much, the NCAA will do that, IMO.
        Brenthoven, do you say that because the NCAA wants to minimize travel expenses, or to maximize attendance/ticket revenues? Or both?
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
          Brenthoven, do you say that because the NCAA wants to minimize travel expenses, or to maximize attendance/ticket revenues? Or both?
          Both. Off the top of my head:

tUMD as a 1, MN as a 5, and UND as a 9? ALL in the west regional? CHA-CHING.

Bend those seedings as you must, but the general idea is there....
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

That regional doesn't need MN because it's already sold out.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              That regional doesn't need MN because it's already sold out.
              Then we are screwed (using the term lightly) and being sent out east.

Comment

It's looks pretty certain Duluth will be in Fargo. Chances of leap frogging Denver for the 2nd #1 seed are slim with their remaining schedule looking light. So it doesn't look like the Gophers will be firing up the Greyhounds to Cincinnati either. So there's a fairly good chance the Gophers will be riding that "big ol' jet airliner" (Courtesy of Steve Miller Band).

Comment

That's not inherently true, though. Looking at the bracket Steve posted, NoDak is in the bottom half of seeds, yet they're playing in their backyard, to a friendly crowd, against the "home" team from the east coast. PROVICED! gets screwed in that bracket.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    That's not inherently true, though. Looking at the bracket Steve posted, NoDak is in the bottom half of seeds, yet they're playing in their backyard, to a friendly crowd, against the "home" team from the east coast. PROVICED! gets screwed in that bracket.
                    That's because they're a host. For non-hosts, that's what I'm talking about.
                    Code:
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

That's because they're a host. For non-hosts, that's what I'm talking about.
                      dx this has nothing to do with you saying anything out of the ordinary, but this conjured up one of my favorite scenes from Fletch:

Dr. Joseph Dolan: You know, it's a shame about Ed.
                      Fletch: Oh, it was. Yeah, it was really a shame. To go so suddenly like that.
                      Dr. Joseph Dolan: He was dying for years.
                      Fletch: Sure, but... the end was very... very sudden.
                      Dr. Joseph Dolan: He was in intensive care for eight weeks.
                      Fletch: Yeah, but I mean the very end, when he actually died. That was extremely sudden.
                      And of course who could forget:

Dr. Joseph Dolan: Right. Now, how long have you had these pains, Mr. Barber?
                      Fletch: No, that's "Babar".
                      Dr. Joseph Dolan: Two B's?
                      Fletch: One B. B-A-B-A-R.
                      Dr. Joseph Dolan: That's two.
                      Fletch: Yeah, but not right next to each other. I thought that's what you meant.
                      Dr. Joseph Dolan: Arnold Babar. Isn't there a children's book about an elephant named Babar?
                      Fletch: I don't know. I don't have any.
                      Dr. Joseph Dolan: No children?
                      Fletch: No elephant books.
                      And....

Madeline: I'm sorry, who are you again?
                      Fletch: I'm Frieda's boss.
                      Madeline: Who's Frieda?
                      Fletch: My secretary.
                      Ok I'll stop because I could do this all day.
                      [must resist steak sandwich, water buffalo, moon river....]

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                        dx this has nothing to do with you saying anything out of the ordinary, but this conjured up one of my favorite scenes from Fletch:
                        I should watch this movie some time.
                        Code:

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                          It's looks pretty certain Duluth will be in Fargo. Chances of leap frogging Denver for the 2nd #1 seed are slim with their remaining schedule looking light. So it doesn't look like the Gophers will be firing up the Greyhounds to Cincinnati either. So there's a fairly good chance the Gophers will be riding that "big ol' jet airliner" (Courtesy of Steve Miller Band).
                          I think you can say Duluth will be in Fargo with any sort of certainty only if you believe two things will not happen. First, you believe that Minnesota will not catch Duluth in terms of overall seeding. If they do, since they are closer to Fargo, I think MN would end up in Fargo.

Second, that UND does not end up a four seed. If UND ends up seeded somewhere in the 13-16 band, it's almost a certainty neither UMD nor DU will be in Fargo because that will be a first round game against a conference foe, and one essentially playing at home to boot. Won't happen. One of the other two #1 seeds will be in Fargo in that scenario.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                            I think you can say Duluth will be in Fargo with any sort of certainty only if you believe two things will not happen. First, you believe that Minnesota will not catch Duluth in terms of overall seeding. If they do, since they are closer to Fargo, I think MN would end up in Fargo.

Second, that UND does not end up a four seed. If UND ends up seeded somewhere in the 13-16 band, it's almost a certainty neither UMD nor DU will be in Fargo because that will be a first round game against a conference foe, and one essentially playing at home to boot. Won't happen. One of the other two #1 seeds will be in Fargo in that scenario.
                            Good post. Listen to SJHovey.
                            Code:

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              This is exactly what I think. The history of the last few years shows this:

The committee will move the seeds within bands so as to minimize travel and increase attendance both.

Therefore, in this case:

#1 seed at Fargo: Almost certainly UMD, because Denver has to fly no matter what. If not UMD, then Denver. That means that the Gophers, as a #3 or #4 overall seed, will NOT play in Fargo. And, I think that's best for us. There is one caveat to that, however. And, that is if NoDak is a #4 seed as a home club. This would mean they would end up as 13 or 14 overall. In that case, neither UMD nor Denver can be there, because of the intra-conference rule. In that case, the Gophers, as a #1 seed, would certainly play in Fargo, and play the Sioux, er, Hawks, right away.

Gophers situations:
                              Odds are very high that UM will be either the #4 overall, or a #2 seed. We covered the #4 overall above.
                              As a #2 seed, if NoDak is a #3, Minnesota and North Dakota will play in the first round.
                              If Minnesota falls to a 3 seed, again, they would play NoDak if NoDak is a #2 seed. For saving money on flights, and for filling the barn (although UND won't need any help for that).

If the Gophers and NoDak end up as a #2 and #3 seed, then the Fargo Region will almost certainly be: UMD, NoDak, Minn, Bemidji, if BSU qualifies.

The other possibility is that the Gophers end up as a #2 or #3 seed, and UND falls to 13 or 14 overall, so a #4 seed. In that case, someone from further east as a #1 seed will fly to Fargo. Minnesota will probably bus there. But, fo course, the possible Sioux, er, Hawks matchup would be in Round 2, not Round 1.
                              Last edited by Numbers; 02-15-2017, 10:27 PM.

Comment

But as Slappy said, the west is sold out. So it doesn't matter which teams are there. That's a big strike.

Comment

Working...
                                X