Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Gophers Season Thread - 2016-2017

Originally posted by Koho View Post
    I would still put Bischoff at number 1. He doesn't have the size to be imposing but I think is the most intelligent and has some offensive ability. If the opponent has a 2 on 1, Bischoff is the guy I want defending.

Not sure I would say Collins is for sure the most improved. I don't think he was as bad as many made him out to be last year, as a mistake here and there stands out for a D and is what a person remembers. It also justifies the opinion of the person being critical of that D (which seems to happen every season with a Gopher D). He's improved a lot, but Lettari has really stood out (REminds me of how much Jake Hanson just seemed to improve dramatically in his last couple years). I remember his first game as a Gopher, I thought his effort exceeded the expectations I had for him based on how he was projected. But the rest of that year I never saw much of that again. But now, when he or Bridstedt are on the ice, they seem to make things happen.
    I think most would give Bischoff the nod. I am rarely negative on players (esp the kind of generic, blanket negativity). Collins did make me nervous as due to his size, it was difficult for him to quickly backpedal against serious speed. But as with even better passing, his agility seems greatly improved.

Gates is much improved and I think Sheehy is much more consistent as well. And if you completely ignore his freshman year when he looked like he had potential at least as a playmaker and only look at the last couple, in the last couple weeks, Cammi is looking like he belongs and will contribute. For that matter, while he is not tearing things up, Romanko did nothing for me last year, but now seems like a forechecking machine. Jphnson also appears to have made a jump. Number of guys who have clearly taken a step up.
    Yep. In a year when BC, UND, BU, and Michigan recruiting all ranked higher and we lost out on key MN talent like Boeser and Gersich...it seemed like our now sophomores might be a tough class. Especially that in we seemingly brought in a 4th line plus in Romanko, Ramsey, Norman, Notermann, Marooney and Simonson. But the sophomores are shining overall right now...including Sheehy having the highest points per game of any Gopher since Potulny in '05-'06 (per Bonin).

Improvement has been so systemic this year, it really is a major credit to the coaching staff.
    Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
      Improvement has been so systemic this year, it really is a major credit to the coaching staff.
      I've always gotten a kick out of reading the comments in the StarTribune following articles on the Gophers. Inevitably, a large majority of the critical ones the past several years have been directed at the coaching staff. But for some odd reason I haven't noticed this nearly as much lately...
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

All time PPG record HIGHLIGHTS

Comment

Very unsettling but entertaining weekend of hockey. That's why you're a Gopher fan.

In the race for the B1G title, OSU is not much of a threat due to its now difficult record. WI, which appears to be the top threat, is likely not due to a very tough schedule. PSU is actually the threat due to a home series (against us) and an upcoming Michigan (and State) smorgasbord. Which in a seemingly weekly pattern, makes this weekend very, very important.
          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
            Very unsettling but entertaining weekend of hockey. That's why you're a Gopher fan.
            I think the only positive I took away from the game on Saturday is that the Gophers won. LOL!

(It didn't hurt that my dad landed a beautiful 25.5" walleye shortly after Gophers took the lead)
            "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

The Gophers certainly can't expect Penn State to be nearly as generous as the Buckeyes were, giving us all that time on power play. We'll actually have to score some goals even strength to come away with a win, not to mention holding them to less than 5 goals...

Also I hope all of our players recover from what was a very physical game on Saturday. I'm especially worried about Pitlick who may have suffered a concussion.
              Last edited by D2D; 02-13-2017, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                The Gophers certainly can't expect Penn State to be nearly as generous as the Buckeyes were, giving us all that time on power play. We'll actually have to score some goals even strength to come away with a win, not to mention holding them to less than 5 goals...

Also I hope all of our players recover from what was a very physical game on Saturday. I'm especially worried about Pitlick who may have suffered a concussion.
                I wonder how much the Olympic sheet affected Penn St as compared to what we will see in Hockey Valley this weekend.
                "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

I think the gophers are a tough match up for Penn St.Gophers have a great record against them right. They like to play up and down and that is what MN does too, but better.
                  never up, never in!

Comment

I had no idea Justin Kloos is this close to catching Kyle Rau in total pts.

On another note, Harvard looks very good this season and wins the Beanpot, and the Gophers reap the spoils too as their win puts us back at #4 in the PWR and in the hunt for a #1 seed in the Regionals.

Comment

Tyler Sheehy, Justin Kloos and Jake Bischoff represent the Gophers in Hobey Baker Award fan voting.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post

On another note, Harvard looks very good this season and wins the Beanpot, and the Gophers reap the spoils too as their win puts us back at #4 in the PWR and in the hunt for a #1 seed in the Regionals.
                        Reading the BU thread you would think the team hadn't won a game in two months. Calling for new coach, calling for Bellows head, ready to write off the season.....

Comment

Reading the BU thread you would think the team hadn't won a game in two months. Calling for new coach, calling for Bellows head, ready to write off the season.....
                          Yeah, apparently getting outshot 46-17 in Boston’s most hallowed college hockey tournament is causing near cardiac arrest despite their high ranking.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                            Yeah, apparently getting outshot 46-17 in Boston’s most hallowed college hockey tournament is causing near cardiac arrest despite their high ranking.
                            With six (or was it seven?) guys on the USA World Juniors team I still can't believe they're not the clear No. 1. And is this Harvard's best team since the Gopher's heartbreaking loss back in '89?

Comment

It would seem from a cursory examination, that a win and a tie this weekend would be sufficient to continue to enhance our chances of a #1 seed. And, while many love the rivalry with NoDak, I would rather not play them in a one and done at Fargo. So, getting a #1 seed is going to be helpful in that.

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                                It would seem from a cursory examination, that a win and a tie this weekend would be sufficient to continue to enhance our chances of a #1 seed. And, while many love the rivalry with NoDak, I would rather not play them in a one and done at Fargo. So, getting a #1 seed is going to be helpful in that.
                                I agree landing in the #1 seed spot increases the probability of winning the regional, but statistically it depends on how close to home they are. There's no guarantee that the Gophers will end up in Fargo. It's too early to even speculate on it, but just for fun the bracket last week by resident USCHO expert Jayson Moy with the Gophers as the 4th #1 seed looked like this:

East Regional (Providence):
                                14 Vermont vs. 4 Minnesota
                                10 Boston College vs. 7 Union

Northeast Regional (Manchester):
                                13 Cornell vs. 3 Boston University
                                12 Massachusetts-Lowell vs. 5 Harvard

Midwest Regional (Cincinnati):
                                15 Air Force vs. 2 Denver
                                11 Penn State vs. 6 Western Michigan

West Regional (Fargo):
                                16 Bemidji State vs. 1 Minnesota-Duluth
                                9 North Dakota vs. 8 Providence

But since 2008 here are the stats for #1 seeds according to proximity to home:

Overall since 2008:

Teams playing in-state are 29-16 (.644)
                                Teams traveling out of state by bus are 27-20 (.574)
                                Teams flying are 40-60 (.400)

1 seeds are 11-1 in state, 17-3 by bus, 7-13 by flight, 35-17 overall (.673)
                                2 seeds are 9-9 in state, 1-3 by bus, 11-13 by flight, 21-25 overall (.457)
                                3 seeds are 4-4 in state, 9-10 by bus, 6-15 by flight, 19-29 overall (.396)
                                4 seeds are 5-2 in state, 0-4 by bus, 16-19 by flight, 21-25 overall (.457)

The big takeaway from these numbers is that if a #1 seed is playing close to home, you should pick them to win their regional. #1 seeds either playing in their home state or nearby are dominant in the tournament, with a 28-4 record since 2008. Once you put 1 seeds on a plane, they don't fare any better than anyone else, with a winning percentage of .350 -- actually worse than the winning percentage of #2 and #4 seeds that fly to their regionals. - Courtesy of SB Nation

Comment

Working...
                                X