Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

FYI - BC is offering $4.50 tickets for tomorrow night's game.

A special election night rate.

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
      Make sure you stay there until 8:01 p.m. tomorrow night.
      At the rate at which this traffic is moving to get out of Boulder I just might!!😂🙄
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
        FYI - BC is offering $4.50 tickets for tomorrow night's game.

A special election night rate.
        And, free parking, right?

Speaking of election night, I doubt that I will see Bill Weld in the upper deck like I did on one visit years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          Speaking of election night, I doubt that I will see Bill Weld in the upper deck like I did on one visit years ago.
          I thought he was a Harvard guy? Why on earth would he ever have been slumming it at Conte???
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
            We sure can argue that second point. Wow, I wonder if he could have kept up with last year's seniors if UNH had not asked him to defer for a year? Of course, hindsight is always at least 20-20.
            Borek's legacy I'm afraid.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              I thought he was a Harvard guy? Why on earth would he ever have been slumming it at Conte???
              That is exactly what the two BC guys sitting near me and I said at the time; he seemed to be completely absorbed by a stack of newspapers and not paying much attention to the game (UNH was getting it handed to us that night). Maybe it was around the time that Edwin Meese and Jesse Helms settled an old score by blocking his appointment as Ambassador of Mexico, thus a man trying to find himself, incognito at a slum of an arena, after a rough and tumble bout of politics?

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                Plz tell Mr. Prez that if he had Beyonce tag along I would have gone Haha!
                Who needs Beyoncé when you have the likes of Jeanne Shaheen, Annie Kuster, Carol Shea Porter and Maggie Hassan?!? Ha! Not to mention Wildcat fever everywhere; coach and player sightings, I mean...it was rich!!!!
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                  Who needs Beyoncé when you have the likes of Jeanne Shaheen, Annie Kuster, Carol Shea Porter and Maggie Hassan?!? Ha! Not to mention Wildcat fever everywhere; coach and player sightings, I mean...it was rich!!!!
                  Yeah, all the losers in one place!

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                    Yeah, all the losers in one place!
                    Here's to hoping.
                    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                      Here's to hoping.
                      Absolutely, all the losers in one place! Out of curiousity, where is this 'place' you and chickod will be later tonight?

BTW, chickod - excellent voter suppression technique earlier in this thread! You make many proud I'm sure...
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                        Nice to see Hokydad back in the mix, stirring the pot. For those who don't recall, the crux of the Vecchione story was not that UNH no longer wanted the kid, but that they wanted him to defer for another year. The kid and his handlers (and no doubt Hokydad) were of the opinion that that he was ready while the UNH coaching staff did not. As I recall, the prediction made by Hokydad was that the Saugus whiz kid would be playing D1 the following season for the likes of BC, BU or Michigan. Well it turned out that his best alternative offer was Union, which took him under the condition that he, in fact, played that one more in juniors.

We can argue whether UNH was in a position at the time to defer any player with a certain level of ability, but that was not the debate at the time.
                        20% true which is good for this board..... But you are one of the best posters, for sure
                        Ten times better school, Won a national championship as a freshmen on first line, has been to multiple nhl camps, has about 15 NHL teams trying to sign when season is over, will end up as all time leading scorer, leading candidate for Hobey, on and on.,

Guessing it worked out for him. FYI, he went to Union because of his relationship with Paul Vincent and his strong ties to Union HC. Had multiple other Hockey East offers. Both schools and programs should be happy, it worked out great for both...
                        Last edited by Hokydad; 11-08-2016, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Ya know what.... I'm getting older and maybe a little more mellowed out but I'll say this. The kid scores goals and stays out of trouble. Pretty much any program would kill to have a player like that. And I should remind myself of that more often as well when considering ANY players. Heck just staying out of trouble is a big thing these days - goals or no goals.

I think what the UNHers are failing to grasp here is that as a lower level program now (true but stinks to admit) than say a Union or other HE schools where he had offers also contingent on a year of juniors, that UNH would have been better served bringing him in when he wanted to come in so that they could keep him in their grasp. Let's say everyone was right and he would have been unproductive as a freshman in D1. OK, so now UNH has a productive kid for 3 years assuming development trajectory wasn't changed. Instead, Union got him for 4 productive years. Some may say sure Vecchione wanted to go D1 a year early and didn't so he loses but he has a national title, and from the sounds of it a promising career in pro hockey so hard to say he lost in this. Union wins. Vecchione wins. Umile loses.

Not all that different from the pro situation where a draftee has some leverage and wants to sign early and the NHL gets the kid for two full years (and a handful of games in the other season) prior to free agency rather than three full years but carrying the risk of losing their draft pick to free agency with only a compensatory pick for their loss (see former UNH commitment lolololol Johnny Gaudreau's situation with Calgary).

Sometimes you need to see the bigger picture. Umile didn't.
                          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                            Ya know what.... I'm getting older and maybe a little more mellowed out but I'll say this. The kid scores goals and stays out of trouble. Pretty much any program would kill to have a player like that. And I should remind myself of that more often as well when considering ANY players. Heck just staying out of trouble is a big thing these days - goals or no goals.

I think what the UNHers are failing to grasp here is that as a lower level program now (true but stinks to admit) than say a Union or other HE schools where he had offers also contingent on a year of juniors, that UNH would have been better served bringing him in when he wanted to come in so that they could keep him in their grasp. Let's say everyone was right and he would have been unproductive as a freshman in D1. OK, so now UNH has a productive kid for 3 years assuming development trajectory wasn't changed. Instead, Union got him for 4 productive years. Some may say sure Vecchione wanted to go D1 a year early and didn't so he loses but he has a national title, and from the sounds of it a promising career in pro hockey so hard to say he lost in this. Union wins. Vecchione wins. Umile loses.

Not all that different from the pro situation where a draftee has some leverage and wants to sign early and the NHL gets the kid for two full years (and a handful of games in the other season) prior to free agency rather than three full years but carrying the risk of losing their draft pick to free agency with only a compensatory pick for their loss (see former UNH commitment lolololol Johnny Gaudreau's situation with Calgary).

Couple points. Umile has nothing to do with this, he knows nothing about recruiting, and delegated all of those decisions to Borek. The Vecchione issue sounds like it was more on principle. Borek had a fairly firm promise that Vecchione would have one year of juniors. Borek then scouted early in that junior year and perhaps on play, perhaps on money (he couldnt defer Gaudreault and McDonald), softened on his promise. On principle, Vecchione left.

We see the same with Laleggia. And at Providence, Kawaguchi deferred for the same reason, a November visit where Borek floated a deferral in contradiction to an earlier assurance that the player viewed as an understanding. In all instances, the player did defer by their own choice, in order to catch the recruiting cycle for the next year. I'm sure Vecchione, Laleggia and Kawaguchi could have found a home that season -- heck, UNH wanted Kawaguchi, but he wanted a better situation so deferred and landed at North Dakota.

I remain confused by the "UNH was proven right" argument. The notion that a player like Vecchione excelling as a freshman somehow "validates" that they were not ready the year before is puzzling, to say the least.

As to your point about UNH not being able to be selective, they disagree. We are a blue chip company that kids should be honored to be part of and they should recognize all that Umile has done for the program (like Mike):

Recruiting Philosophy

Lowry: In the recent article "AIC Surges in Recruiting Class Rankings under Eric Lang" on neutralzone.net, American International College's new head coach Eric Lang (a former AIC player) described in detail the recruiting philosophy that he has developed and how he has tailored it for AIC. Would you describe what your recruiting philosophy is in general and do you see yourself adapting your recruiting philosophy to meet the particular strengths and needs of UNH, both as a hockey program but also as an academic institution?

Souza: That's an interesting question and I probably wouldn't go into it as much as he did. I think because of all the information sharing that goes on. I do know that we have a sign that hangs in the locker room that says "How you do anything is how you do everything." It's important for us to meet kids that have high aspirations to be good in all areas of their life. Whether it's in school or the community, certainly on the hockey rink.

Good players come in all different shapes and sizes, if you're good enough, you're big enough, you're smart enough, you're fast enough. So there's no cookie cutter player that we're looking to bring to UNH. We're looking for good people that are good hockey players. I think we've got an eclectic mix of kids. Different backgrounds, they have different skill sets.

We definitely want kids that want to come play at UNH and understand our tradition, understand that playing here is a tremendous honor, and having a sense of wanting to be a part of the first group to win the National Championship here. We want guys that are driven to be pros and guys that are driven to get a degree while they're here and are willing to be pushed because I think that's our job, to push these guys. To make them better in the community, to push them towards getting their degree and pushing them toward realizing their ultimate goals of hopefully playing in the National Hockey League but if not, at the highest level of hockey possible.

So to sit here and say that this guy needs to be 6'1" and skate like Pavel Bure, that would be naïve of me to say. We want kids who are, obviously competitive, and obviously have certain skills that fit the need of what we need them to be for that particular position at that time but be a good person, and realizing that coming to UNH is a privilege. I think that the kids that are here and the kids we're recruiting, the ones we get obviously realize it.

It's something that's real personal to me because I really have a strong affection for UNH and what it's done for me and what it's done for my family, for my life. It's a privilege to be here. I realize there's a lot of people that would love to coach at UNH so I realize that it's an awesome responsibility to keep bringing kids here that share the same values of all the guys who have come before them and me and Coach Umile.

To be honest with you, we haven't talked about it but those are the values that were instilled in me by Coach Umile. I think that's what separates us, Mike, I like to think what separates us, and something I learned from him is, we treat every kid here like they're our own kids. He treated me like that, he treated every kid that's ever played here like that and that is why he has run, arguably one of the best programs in the country for the last 25 years. There's no denying that. I know we've fallen short of winning a National Championship to date but there's no denying that we've been a blue chip company and not a dot.com company for a long time and we owe that, in large part, to Dick. I really believe that. I think that, we've all, you, me, everyone wants to win the National Championship. We get it, everyone gets it. I know we will.
                            And, who is Paul Vincent?
                            Last edited by NCAA watcher; 11-08-2016, 09:08 AM.
                            The Souza record:
                            15-16 10th place
                            16-17 10th place
                            17-18 11th place
                            18-19 8th place
                            19-20 9th place
                            20-21 10th place
                            21-22 9th place
                            22-23 10th place

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post

Good post, Nick. Maybe see you at Conte tonight; I will be wearing my UNH jersey and Bentley hat.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                                Absolutely, all the losers in one place! Out of curiousity, where is this 'place' you and chickod will be later tonight?

BTW, chickod - excellent voter suppression technique earlier in this thread! You make many proud I'm sure...
                                Fortunately, we finally did manage to get out of Boulder, and, I've already voted. Nice try, though...
                                Last edited by HockeyRef; 11-08-2016, 09:20 AM.
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X