Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

Just for fun I looked at our season last year to see how we did against BC and was surprised to see how many games (too many) we lost by one goal. Playing a Snively65 with trivia...how many do you think we lost (again, too many) by one goal? Include the 'Mack games in Chucks MBPBEGAM (did I get that right?) Tourney...
    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
      How could you forget to give us SOG stats?

I'm just here to help!
      SOG not one of the regular stats that I can simply pull from the USCHO summary stats page. But, it appears that you have data to question Chuck's SOG hypothesis based on the UNH win last night. :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        Just for fun I looked at our season last year to see how we did against BC and was surprised to see how many games (too many) we lost by one goal. Playing a Snively65 with trivia...how many do you think we lost (again, too many) by one goal? Include the 'Mack games in Chucks MBPBEGAM (did I get that right?) Tourney...
        10 1-goal losses, two 2-goal losses with ENG, and 6 ties. Convert all of those, we would have been at least 28-6 last season. Before Fuegeli and Pots flew the coop, I posted last year that this season would be our best opportunity in several years for a return to the FF. But, as has been said, "you are as good as your record says you are."

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          10 1-goal losses, two 2-goal losses with ENG, and 6 ties. Convert all of those, we would have been at least 28-6 last season. Before Fuegeli and Pots flew the coop, I posted last year that this season would be our best opportunity in several years for a return to the FF. But, as has been said, "you are as good as your record says you are."
          Well I don't always agree with the last statement as one goal in hockey is sometimes just an inch or two, etc. but...it is what it is. Just thought it was interesting. We knew D was suspect all throughout and we struggled offensively once we hit the bigger games so there's that.

Anyway...here's a cool article about how Brett Pesce is doing. I remember how disappointing it must've been for him when he didn't make the Jr. Worlds that season (or whatever it was) and now look at him, starting D man for the 'Canes...

http://cardiaccane.com/2016/11/03/br...na-hurricanes/

Comment

As promised ... WIS Productions brings you a special edition of "Umile's Last Stand - The _____ for 600".

"Umile's Last Stand - The Quest for 600"

Coach Umile's current career wins total: 575
            Wins Remaining to the next round number: 25
            *Games Remaining (Next 2 Seasons - Min.): 64
            Win Pct. Required to Hit Target: 39%
            WIS Estimated Likelihood of Success: 70%
            2016/2017 Cupcake Conversion Ratio (CCR): 3/6 (50%)

* - minimum games remaining assumes 34 regular season games, and at least 2 games in the MBPBEGAM "playoffs"

Your UNH Wildcats escaped the AHA cellar after Saturday night's routine 3-0 drubbing of Mercyhurst ... but had soiled themselves earlier in the weekend with an inexplicably uninspired 2-2 tie with the Sacred Heart Valentines, which required the 'Cats to score two late goals (with the final one with the goalie pulled) to avoid further embarrassment. And while some of the more optimistic UNH fans will be quick to point out that UNH is now on a 4 game unbeaten streak ... the sheer shock to the system of not beating the patsiest of cupcakes on the unique home ice surface at The Whitt sent WIS prognosticators scurrying, and questioning the prudence of UNH's short-term scheduling strategy. At least one outside consultant had raised the possibility that the UNH 2016/2017 NC schedule is what it is because other potential D-1 NC opponents might be hesitant to risk the negative impact of a would-be cupcake like UNH on their schedule, and the adverse impact it might have on their own PWR come tourney time. As much as the WIS panel would like to debunk that ... it's a scenario we can't rule out.

Despite the shocking tie to the weaklings of Fairfield County, UNH's defense seems to at least be holding its own, and now with G Dan ("Dr. Jekyll") coming off a solid if unspectacular weekend that included a no-frills shutout of a team he probably had never heard of before the opening intros on Saturday night, it looks like he has repelled back-up G Adam Clark's latest injury-shortened incursion into his status as UNH "lead dog" in goal. WIS observers fully expect Tirone will get the nod against BC, and so long as he doesn't revert to "Mr. Hyde" form against the high-flying Eagles, he can probably expect to get both starts in goal for the 'Cats next weekend, as Coach Umile clings to the hope that Tirone's "Dr. Jekyll" persona is here to stay (WIS continues to reserve judgment). Hopefully we'll see Clark getting another shot at things when a cupcake-filled weekend arrives again ... and yes, there are more than a few of those just over the horizon.

Looking at the big picture ... WIS experts had projected Coach Umile's Wildcats would amass at least 10 wins in the opening 18 game stretch of the season, until the calendar changes to 2017. In the wake of this past Friday night's shocking non-win, WIS is forced to downgrade its position on this projection. The 'Cats will need to beat BC on the road this week to get to the midway point in their 18 game 2016 slate with 5 wins (5-3-1). Most likely, UNH will compile a 4-4-1 (or for the optimists a 4-3-2) record, which while on the surface might seem palatable, but during a cupcake fest that would send most of us into diabetic comas, 4 wins out of 9 games simply isn't enough and would probably require Coach Umile's skaters to amass 6 wins in their final 9 games of the 2016 slate. WIS understands that most (if not all) of the post-BC games are against beatable opposition ... but we said that about the likes of Bentley , Colorado College and *ack* Sacred Heart So while the 10 win projection is still attainable, UNH's inability to cash in more regularly on their cupcakes can no longer be dismissed as flukes, and points to increasing concerns about the eventual outcome of "The Quest".

Given these concerns have now resurfaced, WIS has regrettably downgraded Coach Umile's chances for success in his quest to the 70% level, which marks a new low point, and well below the 80% forecast we started the season at. Since Coach has historically won well over 40% of his games, there is still reason for optimism, but it's going to take more than a 50% CCR (cupcake conversion ratio) to convince WIS that success in The Quest is anything but certain - even if (as predicted) this year's team meets modest expectations for 15 wins, and BS35+4 and Coach assemble a NC schedule for next season that makes this year's NC schedule look like the highway to he11. I think we can safely rule out any chances of a 20 win season this year, which could have rendered the Quest a virtual fait accompli, so the outcome remains in the balance.

Prediction:

Tuesday: BC 4 UNH 1

NEXT CUPCAKES ON THE SHELF: 11/12/16 @ home vs. Arizona State; 11/13/16 @ home vs. Merrimack

IS BS35+4 PAYING ATTENTION YET?

Probably (finally). UNH Football had the weekend off, and with a 6-3-0 record, the 'Cats probably need 1 win in their last 2 games (Albany and UMaine) to return to the D-2 tourney for their 37th consecutive season (OK still a slight exaggeration there ). On the home front ... the NHIAA postseason tourney has finished, and the two D-2 programs nearest and dearest to his heart are out, so there's no distractions any more to prevent closer scrutiny of his (former) flagship Hockey program, even with all the ongoing excitement across the street. Coach has to hope his boss only top-read his inbox this morning - catching their win last night, and overlooking the Friday night catastrophe. But you don't get to where BS35+4 is in his career without paying attention (at some point anyway), and while his fave hockey coach does still have a winning record so far this season ... you gotta think the boss expected the W side of the ledger would be a little more robust at this stage than it presently is. BS35+4 also probably remembers the good ol' days, back when hundreds of traveling UNH fans would make the trek to Conte Forum at this time of the season, and often return with one of those valued W's. My guess is Coach probably wore out his rosary this morning, hoping to pull that old trick out of his hat at least one more time before he rides off into the sunset. Fingers crossed.
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
              SOG not one of the regular stats that I can simply pull from the USCHO summary stats page. But, it appears that you have data to question Chuck's SOG hypothesis based on the UNH win last night. :-)
              Yeah no worries. SOG is one of those often overlooked, sometimes irrelevant, misunderstood and dissed stats. No respect! The data is overwhelmingly convincing though! Kinda!
              UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

http://www.dailygazette.com/news/201...est-thing-ice/

Comment

• Good article. Read it earlier today. Think we are long past this episode in UNH hockey lore...and now all I can do is respect the player he is. (Speaking solely for myself)

Of course I came along right about when this all went down so my interest in the story might not be the same as others or my perception of it. He obviously found a lot of success at Union; good for him.

Comment

Pizz off.
                    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                      Pizz off.
                      Nice to see Hokydad back in the mix, stirring the pot. For those who don't recall, the crux of the Vecchione story was not that UNH no longer wanted the kid, but that they wanted him to defer for another year. The kid and his handlers (and no doubt Hokydad) were of the opinion that that he was ready while the UNH coaching staff did not. As I recall, the prediction made by Hokydad was that the Saugus whiz kid would be playing D1 the following season for the likes of BC, BU or Michigan. Well it turned out that his best alternative offer was Union, which took him under the condition that he, in fact, played that one more in juniors.

We can argue whether UNH was in a position at the time to defer any player with a certain level of ability, but that was not the debate at the time.

Comment

Wow at the 'Whitt waiting to hear the Prez...hockey team seated behind the podium...place is getting packed!! Now I know what a nearly filled arena looks like 😳

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          Wow at the 'Whitt waiting to hear the Prez...hockey team seated behind the podium...place is getting packed!! Now I know what a nearly filled arena looks like 😳
                          Make sure you stay there until 8:01 p.m. tomorrow night.

Comment

Proving that extra year of Juniors paid off, just UNH and Union thought. But lets not let facts get in the way

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                              Plz tell Mr. Prez that if he had Beyonce tag along I would have gone Haha!
                              UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                                Nice to see Hokydad back in the mix, stirring the pot. For those who don't recall, the crux of the Vecchione story was not that UNH no longer wanted the kid, but that they wanted him to defer for another year. The kid and his handlers (and no doubt Hokydad) were of the opinion that that he was ready while the UNH coaching staff did not. As I recall, the prediction made by Hokydad was that the Saugus whiz kid would be playing D1 the following season for the likes of BC, BU or Michigan. Well it turned out that his best alternative offer was Union, which took him under the condition that he, in fact, played that one more in juniors.

We can argue whether UNH was in a position at the time to defer any player with a certain level of ability, but that was not the debate at the time.
                                We sure can argue that second point. Wow, I wonder if he could have kept up with last year's seniors if UNH had not asked him to defer for a year? Of course, hindsight is always at least 20-20.

Comment

Working...
                                X