Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2016-17 -- We're Going to Have a Hockey Season Here!!

Originally posted by sonar View Post
    You guys are no fun ........ doesn't anyone remember John Conroy at the organ at Snively. Actually got the fans more involved then does the overbearing , noisy, commercialized, and did I say obnoxious super scoreboard.
    I remember John Conroy as the National Anthem singer, but not seated behind the organ. I thought the organ player was somebody else?
    UNH

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
      That was was good tie IMHO! You have to give their goalie credit. He was the reason Sacred Heart salvaged a tie. Can't fault Tirone on their goals. I thought he played very good. Hope Naz is okay. Looked like a nasty knee to knee hit. Glad he was back albeit briefly after the hit.

I wouldn't start planning a parade any time soon for any team from the AHA going too deep in April Chuck. Keep dreaming though!
      I think we made their goalie look all-world tonight. We couldn't pick anything up in the scrums in front of the net, and there were many. McNicholas missed a GAPING net at one point as well.

HR is right. It looked like we took Ambien for the second period. Embarrassing.

Nazarian was back in the ice late in the game, so that was good. How that was not called, I just don't get it. The two players were middle of the ice, on the blue line, with nobody around, when the SHU player ran Naz.

Interestingly, I think our fourth line actually woke the team up midway through the third with a couple of pressing, scrappy shifts. Upped the intensity and I think the rest of the team fed on that.

The Frosh line is pretty quickly starting to look like our best. Most effective in comparison to the other lines, when taken as a group.

While the game started empty, I think enough fans filed in by midway through the first that attendance actually seemed higher than any game this season. Unfortunately, the crowd didn't really wake up until Kelleher scored.
      Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        Between EJ and Whalers' post, it looks like we've filled our Titanic metaphors quota for the evening.

Personally, I was a Melville guy so long as I thought Coach had that Capt. Ahab *zeal*. Eyes since opened.

Now back to the steady stream of cupcake opponents to keep The Quest going ...

... but check the attendance, BS35+4. The long-term diehard fans aren't fooled. Not for a second.
        Actually, Chuck, the only people in the stands are long-term, die-hard fans, setting aside a few new bloods like HR. They (we) all look a little melancholy these days, but I recognize many of the same faces. Just a few more gray hairs and a slightly slower gait.

Comment

1 for 9 on PP is not a good sign for a team at the top of HEA.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
            Dodged the iceberg ...Salvaged a tie...by the grace of The Hockey Gods and the hustle of another Frosh to the puck...uninspiring to say the least but at least we did not lose...
            No, actually, we hit the iceberg - and head on, too. A tie - at home - to lowly SHU of the lowly AHA is just the latest new low point for the program. Maybe a tie instead of a loss saves just a little bit of the embarrassment, but that's about it. It's not going to make a difference with anything. No end of season win or team under consideration win to boost phantom PWR chances to qualify for the D-1 tourney.

Look at it this way ... for what reason can there possibly have been for UNH to schedule Sacred Heart at home in November, if it wasn't to load up on a cupcake team for an easy win to facilitate Coach's (pointless) march to the next round number, and to paper over the widening cracks showing in all aspects of this program?

So let's take a quick inventory in the wake of tonight's wreckage ...

(1) Another cupcake left on the shelf.

(2) No easy win to add to The Quest for 600.

If Coach was being honest about it, he should have pulled Tirone for the extra skater with 2 minutes left in OT, because when the dust (or ice chips) settle ... you just tied Sacred 'frickin Heart.

No. Redeeming. Value. Whatsoever.

Am I missing something here?

Sorry to attach this to your post, HR. It's directed at the folks in charge of the ***** show not you ...
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
              1 for 9 on PP is not a good sign for a team at the top of HEA.
              I think Unitil, as a power company, should be able to sever their agreement to sponsor the power play, for blatant non-performance. Certainly not representing their brand well.

Comment

Did anyone notice Bobby V at the Whitt, and if so, did he and BS35+4 shake hands at the end of the game?
                Last edited by Snively65; 11-05-2016, 12:26 AM.

Comment

"Wildcats' Late Surge Helps Tie Sacred Heart Pioneers 2-2"
                  by Ben Nawn
                  The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                    UNH is in danger of having its application for honorary AHA membership denied on competitive grounds.
                    Lot of parity in AHC this season; on any given night, any AHC team can knock off any HEA team. UNH lucky to pick up a point on Friday night, for what it is worth, which is nothing in the PWR. Like the last 3-4 seasons, UNH will need to win the HEA tournament to make the NCAA's.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                      I remember John Conroy as the National Anthem singer, but not seated behind the organ. I thought the organ player was somebody else?
                      You are correct sir. I do remember that the organ player hitchhiked back to Newmarket after the games :-) .... and wasn't he the same guy who played the bells at THall?
                      Can someone clear this up?

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        Would totally agree sir...we had zero puck luck in the first played zippo hockey in the second. Gritty comeback in the third. Anemic pp of sorts (1-9). Feel the same about Naz love Millers hustle but just not Naz. See you at Libbys tomorrow if you are heading in that direction...
                        My 2 1/2 year old grandson is doing doing a sleepover with us so I'm not attending tonight but I predict a W.
                        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                          I think we made their goalie look all-world tonight. We couldn't pick anything up in the scrums in front of the net, and there were many. McNicholas missed a GAPING net at one point as well.

HR is right. It looked like we took Ambien for the second period. Embarrassing.

Nazarian was back in the ice late in the game, so that was good. How that was not called, I just don't get it. The two players were middle of the ice, on the blue line, with nobody around, when the SHU player ran Naz.

Interestingly, I think our fourth line actually woke the team up midway through the third with a couple of pressing, scrappy shifts. Upped the intensity and I think the rest of the team fed on that.

The Frosh line is pretty quickly starting to look like our best. Most effective in comparison to the other lines, when taken as a group.

While the game started empty, I think enough fans filed in by midway through the first that attendance actually seemed higher than any game this season. Unfortunately, the crowd didn't really wake up until Kelleher scored.
                          Agree on the Frosh and fourth lines.

Regarding their "all world" goalie, I think in games like this against so called "cupcakes" you need your goalie to be a game changer which he was. Same could be said for the Bentley goalie who also stonewalled UNH. Think of it, for a Bentley or a Sacred Heart to come into Durham and pull off a W is a big deal. These are classic "trap" games. Chuck likes to say these are gimmes for UNH but I disagree. These are trap games for UNH!
                          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                            Lot of parity in AHC this season; on any given night, any AHC team can knock off any HEA team. UNH lucky to pick up a point on Friday night, for what it is worth, which is nothing in the PWR. Like the last 3-4 seasons, UNH will need to win the HEA tournament to make the NCAA's.
                            While you are prob right about the NCAA thing (what's that..?) what a shame that is for a player like TyK not to make it once in his 4 years. Oh well he's certainly not the first great UNHer not to make the big game but it's a pity to me at least, none the less. And I won't bring up the fact that at this time last year the LAST thing on a NU's fans mind was 'winning the HEA tournament" but I know that would be a tall order. Of course I'm trying to say 'anything can happen' but I don't want to cause eye pain from all of the that statement can bring

Too early to start lamenting about these things anyways but I do agree 100% with you that 'on any given night' and cupcake or not, hockey's a weird game sometimes.

Hey against my better judgement I am going to the game Tues so maybe see you there...no idea where I'm sitting so I'll look for you between periods..
                            Last edited by HockeyRef; 11-05-2016, 09:06 AM.
                            I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                              No, actually, we hit the iceberg - and head on, too. A tie - at home - to lowly SHU of the lowly AHA is just the latest new low point for the program. Maybe a tie instead of a loss saves just a little bit of the embarrassment, but that's about it. It's not going to make a difference with anything. No end of season win or team under consideration win to boost phantom PWR chances to qualify for the D-1 tourney.

Look at it this way ... for what reason can there possibly have been for UNH to schedule Sacred Heart at home in November, if it wasn't to load up on a cupcake team for an easy win to facilitate Coach's (pointless) march to the next round number, and to paper over the widening cracks showing in all aspects of this program?

So let's take a quick inventory in the wake of tonight's wreckage ...

(1) Another cupcake left on the shelf.

(2) No easy win to add to The Quest for 600.

If Coach was being honest about it, he should have pulled Tirone for the extra skater with 2 minutes left in OT, because when the dust (or ice chips) settle ... you just tied Sacred 'frickin Heart.

No. Redeeming. Value. Whatsoever.

Am I missing something here?

Sorry to attach this to your post, HR. It's directed at the folks in charge of the ***** show not you ...
                              That's ok Chuck...usually when I don't wanna directly attach to a post I just use the "reply to the thread" option Thought you were sick of Titanic refs? Anyhoo...despite the yucky 2nd period (and the fact that for the life of us we couldn't bury one, or two on the 9 other power plays we were given AND the dreaded 2-0 hole we seem to find ourselves in toooo often) we managed to find a way to not lose the game. Not very encouraging I know but can only imagine how / what would be said here today if we had indeed, lost. And even if we had won, what's 2 points against a team that can't even begin to help us in the pairwise?? Of course a win is always nice...right?

It has to be clear to even the casual observer why we are playing them in the first place...sorry not meaning to go off my usual Rah Rah Sis Boom Bah but it's the way of it this season. Trying to get a few W's under out belt before the storm of the HE schedule takes hold after Christmas. (early preview of such storm coming to a theatre near you this Tuesday...hear BC has a 'woll' of a GK to take Demko's place...sorry, had to..)

And just so you know many believe that IF the Titanic had hit the iceberg head on as you say, they would've stayed afloat 2 more hrs perhaps...ah, such is fate....
                              I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                                While you are prob right about the NCAA thing (what's that..?) what a shame that is for a player like TyK not to make it once in his 4 years. Oh well he's certainly not the first great UNHer not to make the big game but it's a pity to me at least, none the less. And I won't bring up the fact that at this time last year the LAST thing on a NU's fans mind was 'winning the HEA tournament" but I know that would be a tall order. Of course I'm trying to say 'anything can happen' but I don't want to cause eye pain from all of the that statement can bring

Too early to start lamenting about these things anyways but I do agree 100% with you that 'on any given night' and cupcake or not, hockey's a weird game sometimes.

Hey against my better judgement I am going to the game Tues so maybe see you there...no idea where I'm sitting so I'll look for you between periods..
                                Ref
                                You mentioned taking the Green line. That will certainly work, but be aware that it will still be mobbed at that time. Rush hour is a b....., especially on the Green Line. Road traffic will even effect it up by BC. Start early if you chose that route. Start early if you drive all the way in. Week nights and rush hour never work for the Boston games. What happened to the early scheduled Saturday night date for this one? Also no one is talking about 3 games in 5 days. Scares me with the goalie situation. Any more on Clarkie? The 4th line was major energy last night. I say when it is working give it more time. He did actually let them play more than 1 whistle at least once. He tends to run that first line ragged at the end of games.

Comment

Working...
                                X