X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2016/2016 Lowell Thread: Hoping for Chicago

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
    To be fair they were skating uphill in the 3rd. The officiating became curiously one sided in the third period. Even as tight as they were calling it, there were multiple infractions on UMD that suddenly didn't seem to meet the standard in the 3rd period.
    even after that they were really on their heels... I know its early but they'll have to build their composure.

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
    The one where CJ Smith got clocked in the head at center ice in front of the ref with no call was especially baffling.
    bob caught that too
    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
    Skating Friar Jersey
    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Norm's post game interview.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv2O...ature=youtu.be

UMD coach Scott Sandelin
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hJtuLPHeqA

Comment

from the NCAA Rulebook, Rule 73.1
        They can't review the penalty which he called first.

Lowell got hosed, no two ways about it. That puck was in before Smith made contact.

Regardless of that play, Lowell should have had a W tonight. The inability to finish grade A chances and the inability to stay out of the M***** penalty box killed them.

Interesting that Bazin called out several players in the post game radio interview, specifically Kapla, Zink and Campbell. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Campbell isn't in the lineup tomorrow night, he was a ghost out there.
        The first 2 I have no comment. The 3rd- I respectfully disagree. He hasn't skated in a game in 8 months. THe rust wore off as the game progressed.

The ref behind the net? Are you sure, because I saw him come in and point at the goal. In any event, if any official called the penalty initially on the ice there was arm raised for a penalty.
        Absolutely positive. He waved it off first, very vehemently, and then pointed at CJ who was basically in the goal. The minute the red light came on behind the goal the lights were out, the spots were swirling and no one caught the wave off. I turned to the person I was sitting with immediately and said he waved it off but everyone thought I was crazy.

We got hosed because the puck was in before CJ touched the guy but once the penalty is called there is no reviewing it.

Agree re the officiating. It was 'interesting'.

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
          14 two minute penalties were called tonight in the third period tonight between PC-Mismi. It was a very clean game so no antics as they called EVERYTHING
          That was sort of the same story with the UML/UMD game. Mystery stuff being called or very ticky-tack, just a lot of players being sent to the box for questionable calls. Nothing I could sense between the two teams on the ice in terms of tension, animosity, antics, etc. that could lead to refs trying to settle the game down or whatever. Lowell is usually one of the least penalized teams in the country and this was just uncharacteristic. Just hoping it was the refs being rusty and not an indicator of how games are going to be called all season.
          Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
          Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
          Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

Originally posted by riverchief1 View Post
            That was sort of the same story with the UML/UMD game. Mystery stuff being called or very ticky-tack, just a lot of players being sent to the box for questionable calls. Nothing I could sense between the two teams on the ice in terms of tension, animosity, antics, etc. that could lead to refs trying to settle the game down or whatever. Lowell is usually one of the least penalized teams in the country and this was just uncharacteristic. Just hoping it was the refs being rusty and not an indicator of how games are going to be called all season.
            Point of emphasis this year is to call everything. Hopefully they reassess when they realize just how badly it is affecting the game. If we wanted to watch 4 on 4 we could go to a pond hockey tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
              Point of emphasis this year is to call everything. Hopefully they reassess when they realize just how badly it is affecting the game. If we wanted to watch 4 on 4 we could go to a pond hockey tournament.
              I thought is was odd when Gambardella got called early in the first as he only had one penalty called on him all last season and near the end to boot. Little did I know it was sign of things to come all evening.
              Frozen Four - 2013

Comment

Just hoping it was the refs being rusty and not an indicator of how games are going to be called all season.
                If it will be called like this all year, we might as well stay home. I do not go to the games to watch the refs take over a game.
                There were 2 good teams out there who were clueless as to what they do. Usually when you watch, you can tel what a penalty
                is. Each time the ref's arm was in the air, everybody in my area was saying what is this now for. Almost 2/3 of the game was a
                special team opportunity....terrible!
                What did you say?
                Who own the Chiefs?
                What did he say?
                Owns! Owns!

Comment

I thought is was odd when Gambardella got called early in the first as he only had one penalty called on him all last season and near the end to boot. Little did I know it was sign of things to come all evening.
                  mr les says it is supposed to speed the game up, that they are all actually penalties but no one has called them in years (how many times have you heard it is play off hockey, they shouldn't call that?). Supposedly the players will figure out they need to change. I can't see it. They have been doing these things since mites without being called, I can't see them changing ovenight. I predict a very boring, choppy season with multiple stoppages of play and a lot of pond hockey numbers.

Comment

They can't review the penalty which he called first.

The first 2 I have no comment. The 3rd- I respectfully disagree. He hasn't skated in a game in 8 months. THe rust wore off as the game progressed.

Absolutely positive. He waved it off first, very vehemently, and then pointed at CJ who was basically in the goal. The minute the red light came on behind the goal the lights were out, the spots were swirling and no one caught the wave off. I turned to the person I was sitting with immediately and said he waved it off but everyone thought I was crazy.

We got hosed because the puck was in before CJ touched the guy but once the penalty is called there is no reviewing it.

Agree re the officiating. It was 'interesting'.
                    I only saw one ref near the net and he pointed... I dunno...
                    BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                    Skating Friar Jersey
                    AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                    UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                    Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patman View Post
                      I only saw one ref near the net and he pointed... I dunno...
                      My recollection of the play was that the puck had not crossed the line when Smith made contact. Smith actually had to swipe at the puck with his stick to guide the puck into the net. It was during this swiping motion that he made contact with the goaltender and it appeared that the goaltender was in such a position that he could not attempt to slide across the crease to try and block the shot.

Again, this is my recollection of the play and all points made may not be 100% factual.

Comment

Re: 2016/2017 Lowell Thread: Hoping for Chicago

Duluth News Tribune article.

Bulldog Blog article.

Comment

Re: 2016/2017 Lowell Thread: Hoping for Chicago

The two links above do a very good job explaining what was going on with the officiating last night. Overall it blows though, kills any momentum and flow, and drags the game out. If the players don't adapt to this then it's going to be a very long season.
                          Frozen Four - 2013

Comment

Same story with UVM - Clarkson..

Comment

Originally posted by Kdaddy1968 View Post
                              Same story with UVM - Clarkson..
                              Ugh. Disturbing pattern.

Let's hope tonight's game flows better and things loosen up a bit.

Meanwhile there's nary a BC fan about after their loss to Air Force last night. Going to be a rough year for them I think.
                              Frozen Four - 2013

Comment

https://***********/UMDHockeygifs/st...72673519124485

https://***********/UMDHockeygifs/st...71532148367360

Two GIFs of the OT waived off goal. The ref points emphatically for the goal, he never waives it off.
                                Lowell Forever
                                Forever Lowell

Comment

Working...
                                X