• Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016/2016 Lowell Thread: Hoping for Chicago

Crowd sounds great over the radio feed
    BS UMass Lowell 2015
    PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

I'm watching the stream there doesn't seem to be a ton of people there ....yet...

Comment

Except for the last five minutes of the 1st period, Lowell ran St. Lawrence's show tonight.

The end of the first was bizarre. Lowell seemed to not care that there were guys unmarked out front and swarmed the puck like they were playing bantams. I felt bad for Wall, he got hung out to dry on both goals.

Hayton was brutal for St. Lawrence, especially that last goal.

Nice to see the guys get a W against a ranked team even with the PP shut down. PK unit really stepped it up, and the two SHGs were beauts.
        Lowell Forever
        Forever Lowell

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post
          Except for the last five minutes of the 1st period, Lowell ran St. Lawrence's show tonight.

The end of the first was bizarre. Lowell seemed to not care that there were guys unmarked out front and swarmed the puck like they were playing bantams. I felt bad for Wall, he got hung out to dry on both goals.

Nice to see the guys get a W against a ranked team even with the PP shut down. PK unit really stepped it up, and the two SHGs were beauts.
          I loved his goalie pads though
          BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
          Skating Friar Jersey
          AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
          UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
          Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

Originally posted by Patronick View Post

I knew we scored one shorty but I missed that we scored another. I guess my reading comprehension of CHN is poor. Good to know they played well.

Missed all but the 3rd period driving up from CT thru a monsoon and electric light show. Highway was flooded thru Worcester and when the game was starting I was hubcap deep in an underpass. Couldn't get anything audible until almost past Westford into Chelmsford when I could pick up WCRAP. Rain was so hard and loud I could barely hear the radio when the volume was jacked up. Lightning was crazy and AM transmission broke up with every strike. (There was a lot of lightning ) Barely figured out what period we were in when they lost the feed from the rink and started playing Beatles. Switched to WUML-Their feed was lousy but at least still up. I really tried. Heard a goal but never really could figure out who scored it. They were chatting. They remembered the game after St Law scored and then a bit later said something about them scoring 2 really close together. Figured out to call the game in P 2 after play was underway.

Turns out I was lucky to get thru Worcester. Lil les said there was a car that was stuck in one of the underpasses as his bus went thru.

Comment

Last night's game highlights

Coach Bazin post-game

Lowell Sun recap

Watertown Daily Times recap

And some commentary on a SLU fan Facebook site from last night -

"There's a reason Lowell is ranked #5. They're just a better team than we are, plain and simple. Fast, talented, and tenacious. Outshot us a whopping 38-13. Beat us to pucks all over the place, which is how they scored two shorties. Probably contributed a lot to the huge number of penalties we took, as we struggled to keep up. As depressing as it was for us, they were an entertaining team to watch. We have a lot of work to do before we reach their level.

We did have a very good burst in the latter part of the first period. Both of our goals were really nice plays. But we couldn't sustain it."
              Last edited by riverchief1; 10-22-2016, 09:23 AM.
              Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
              Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
              Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

Pretty solid first period. Sounded like they dominated long stretches (as they should)
                BS UMass Lowell 2015
                PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                  Pretty solid first period. Sounded like they dominated long stretches (as they should)
                  A big fat egg was laid in the next 2 periods.
                  What did you say?
                  Who own the Chiefs?
                  What did he say?
                  Owns! Owns!

Comment

Usually you say the other guys are big but slower. Tonight they were big, fast and agile.

Comment

Originally posted by gochiefs View Post
                      A big fat egg was laid in the next 2 periods.
                      Yup, the one that got away. A great first period. Up 2-0 they had a couple of PPs but couldn't add to the their lead. The team looked off the rest of the way as Clarkson did a nice job with limiting their chances. A late penalty finally costs them. Give credit to Clarkson they kept working and it paid off.
                      Last edited by boblav1; 10-22-2016, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Very similar to the St. Lawrence game where I felt Lowell could have run them out of the building in the first period. Clarkson looked lost and had seemingly had no answer to Lowell's transition game.

Cut to the second period and all that changed. All the credit in the world to Clarkson for clamping down on the Lowell offense. Clarkson learned to get their sticks in the passing lanes and Lowell's penchant for passing one too many times or trying to anticipate with no looks and drop passes started backfiring. Clarkson also clogged up their own blue line really well and just started beating the Lowell forechecker to the puck; which made Lowell look like it was playing the old Blaise Macdonald "dump and watch" as the puck would go deep and come right back out again and again. Two really nice goals from Clarkson tonight that Wall just never saw: the rip off the faceoff that hit the post and ricocheted in and the game winning PP goal that he was screened on.

Hausinger's goal was set up by a beautiful pass from Houhgh to Lohin. CJ Smith was the best player on the ice for either team tonight, and I thought Lowell had wrangled back momentum after he tied it with his second of the game.

Lot of work to do before the trip to Omaha.
                        Lowell Forever
                        Forever Lowell

Comment

As Leswp1 commented to me during the game, "looks like Clarkson figured us out" after the first period. Clarkson adjusted well and UML didn't.

But I look at a 3-1-2 record so far for non-league games which is far better than the rest of HE is doing. And they could just as easily be 6-0 now if they didn't have that bad habit of giving up leads

So hopefully they take two out in Nebraska next week and be ready to go for the HE openers vs the Vermont Hazers in two weeks.
                          Hockey East Tournament Champions - 2013, 2014, 2017
                          Hockey East Regular Season Champions - 2013, 2017
                          Frozen Four - 2013

Charter member of Darin's "UML Seven"

Gooooooooooooo....Rivermen!

Comment

Getting frustrating watching this team blow leads. They've done that in pretty much every single game this season except for the 4-0 CC win. This has to stop.
                            Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                            2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                            2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                            2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                            2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                              Getting frustrating watching this team blow leads. They've done that in pretty much every single game this season except for the 4-0 CC win. This has to stop.
                              They need to start playing 60 minutes. Hopefully the Clarkson game will be a wakeup call. A tough weekend coming up against Omaha. The Mavericks will surely be ticked off after only taking a point from UVM at home.

Comment

I guess I am too old to get frustrated this early in the season. Looks like they have changed some things in the system. They have some flashes of really creative play and seem to think on the fly. In the end, as they get to know each other better I think they will be scary good. I would like, however, for someone to dope slap the idjit D men who feel the need to pass out into between the dots. You learn not to do that in Mites.

Comment

Working...
                                X