X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Northeastern Huskies 2016-17 -- Great Expectations

Originally posted by Tilldog40 View Post
    Collier is a liability. I don't know why they like him
    so much. Patrick Schule should be dressing over him.
    I'll have to respectfully take the other side of that. Collier's value lies in the fact that he's an absolutely tenacious backchecker, doesn't mind sticking his nose in the corners and dirty areas out front, and generally makes life difficult for opposing puck carriers. Plus, he's said to be a respected team leader off the ice. I'm not sure what metrics can be applied to what he does and doesn't do but goals and assists don't apply. Winning teams need guys like him.

That being said, I too am puzzled by Schule's absence, given his role in last season's surge. There has to be a story behind the story.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
      You guys are going to have to take the evil empire down because i don't think my alma mater has it in them this year. GO NU!
      Ye of little faith. Eagles gonna surprise you.
      'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Ok my thoughts after seeing both games this weekend. On the subject of fan attendance for a home opener v Bentley the word that comes to mind is abysmal. However, what do you expect ? Our dogs could win a national championship and the seats would be empty. NU is not a sports school, never has been, never will be, NU is about working I have 10 Co-op working for me this Fall all live within 3 miles of the campus and only one went to the game. It’s been this way since I started religiously attending these games >30 years ago. So, don’t complain about it or make stupid comments. Unless we are playing against BU or BC the barn isn’t going to sell out, we could sell out a broken down MDC shack in Watertown in a heartbeat. As far as the games I saw, my feeling is that I think they will be ok and showed spots of incredible offensive promise, and generally they look fairly good at this early juncture. However, the D is only fair/good not great and thus we will live and die by the goal tending, but who doesn’t. Ruck is not a super star net minder by any stretch of the imagination, he is a quality serviceable goalie who will make most of the stops he needs to keep us in the game. He is subject to small mental lapses and against the metal of the league allowing one or two ****-ters will likely cost us the W. We have a shot to be at the top of the heap though and I am optimistic, which is a good thing considering it’s only the 2nd week of October.
        Last edited by RossiRules; 10-16-2016, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RossiRules View Post
          Ok my thoughts after seeing both games this weekend. On the subject of fan attendance for a home opener v Bentley the word that comes to mind is abysmal. However, what do you expect ? Our dogs could win a national championship and the seats would be empty. NU is not a sports school, never has been, never will be, NU is about working I have 10 Co-op working for me this Fall all live within 3 miles of the campus and only one went to the game. It’s been this way since I started religiously attending these games >30 years ago. So, don’t complain about it or make stupid comments. Unless we are playing against BU or BC the barn isn’t going to sell out, we could sell out a broken down MDC shack in Watertown in a heartbeat. As far as the games I saw, my feeling is that I think they will be ok and showed spots of incredible offensive promise, and generally they look fairly good at this early juncture. However, the D is only fair/good not great and thus we will live and die by the goal tending, but who doesn’t. Ruck is not a super star net minder by any stretch of the imagination, he is a quality serviceable goalie who will make most of the stops he needs to keep us in the game. He is subject to small mental lapses and against the metal of the league allowing one or two ****-ters will likely cost us the W. We have a shot to be at the top of the heap though and I am optimistic, which is a good thing considering it’s only the 2nd week of October.
          Last year PC was number 1 or two in the country when they went to NU and it was a dead!
          Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
            Last year PC was number 1 or two in the country when they went to NU and it was a dead!
            ..says a fan from 'The Coffin'.
            GO NU HOCKEY
            Always bullish on the future.
            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Where is Kurker?

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
                Where is Kurker?
                Injured in the exhibition game, should be back as soon as this weekend
                "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                  Injured in the exhibition game, should be back as soon as this weekend
                  That's good to hear. I'm more concerned with Jozefek's status. And where is Pat Schule? He has missed the exhibition game as well as the first four. He was a regular and played well during our run last winter.

Comment

Originally posted by HHound View Post
                    That's good to hear. I'm more concerned with Jozefek's status. And where is Pat Schule? He has missed the exhibition game as well as the first four. He was a regular and played well during our run last winter.
                    When did Jozefek get hurt? I liked Schule as well. I am looking at Kurker as being a 5th year senior as being the one to have have the breakout year. Like McMutry last year.

Comment

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2016-17 -- Great Expectations

When did Jozefek get hurt? I liked Schule as well. I am looking at Kurker as being a 5th year senior as being the one to have have the breakout year. Like McMutry last year.
                      He got hurt in the first Bentley game. He and Kurker should be back before the UVM game. BTW McMurtry was not a 5th year senior. He simply developed later and gave us a great senior year. Better late than never!

Comment

...... I am looking at Kurker as being a 5th year senior as being the one to have have the breakout year. Like McMutry last year.
                        Getting Kurker back is good. He should be able to give the third line a needed boost. The first two lines are already loaded with talent.

Kurker does have that potential to deliver one of those senior year breakouts. He certainly has the motivation, and like McMurtry’s last season, his contribution could be a huge plus.

Comment

Speaking of Quinnipiac, they are currently out of the Top 10 pairwise. I refer you all back to my post stating that they were not a Top 10 team - when they were ranked #2.

Something to keep in mind about ASU, Robby Baillargeon transferred there and is eligible to play.

Madigan needs to start riding his top two lines like they owe him money. The lull in both Friday's and Saturday's games are inexcusable. This team is the best team that I have seen since 2009 and I believe that this team would beat that team. This is where Mad Dog steps up and shows that not only can he recruit talent but he can motivate it as well.
                          Last edited by Gr8Sk8M8; 10-18-2016, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gr8Sk8M8 View Post
                            Speaking of Quinnipiac, they are currently out of the Top 10 pairwise. I refer you all back to my post stating that they were not a Top 10 team - when they were ranked #2.

Something to keep in mind about ASU, Robby Baillargeon transferred there and is eligible to play.

Madigan needs to start riding his top two lines like they owe him money. The lull in both Friday's and Saturday's games are inexcusable. This team is the best team that I have seen since 2009 and I believe that this team would beat that team. This is where Mad Dog steps up and shows that not only can he recruit talent but he can motivate it as well.
                            Yes, why try to develop secondary scoring against the lower-tiered teams when you can just heap on the top two lines. This team has talent lines 1-4, and needs to worry about developing a third scoring line, not cramming it all into the top two. Gaudette is our best player, and the Big Line will be there, but what happens when they are off the ice? Can't just dump and chase. I'd like to see 17-15-10 together on a line once they are healthy, see what that can do. That could be a scoring line coupled with two big bodies for board play.

Also yes, Robbie B is eligible for ASU. So is former NU player Ryan Belonger and a former Lowell player. ASU has a goalie drafted to the NHL and a couple kids who have multiple points but also stupid high sh% so far this year. They might score 1-2 goals, but NU should walk all over them this weekend. Should be fun target practice with the back of the net.
                            "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                              Yes, why try to develop secondary scoring against the lower-tiered teams when you can just heap on the top two lines. This team has talent lines 1-4, and needs to worry about developing a third scoring line, not cramming it all into the top two.
                              Madigan is somewhat formulaic. He goes into every game rolling all four lines. If you look at Quinn, York, Berry, etc...the top two lines will rotate out about every third shift and the third and 4th lines will account for 14-16 minutes. At home, you get your checking line out against the top line for 20-25 seconds then get your top line out against them as their shift winds down and you catch them either tired or in a change.

Top line minutes should be well in excess of 20. IN the HEA championship game, IIRC, they got about 19.

There is no argument to be made that the Collier and Pond lines should be getting similar even strength minutes to the top two lines. It's not a matter of developing scoring. It's a matter of managing the game so that your developed scorers have a chance to score.

He has a tendency to miss opportunities because of this formula. Early in the third period of Quinnipiac game when it was still 3-1, QPac iced the puck with their third line on the ice...he put out the Pond line. QPac won the faceoff and cleared the puck and changed...over the boards comes the Big Line.

The night before in OT, final minute, he had the Collier line out there.

And, frankly, we're talking about Keefer as he manages the lines.

Gaudette is our best player
                              Gaudette is a very good player as is Sikura. In my opinion, we have great players on the team and let's leave it at that.
                              Last edited by Gr8Sk8M8; 10-19-2016, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gr8Sk8M8 View Post
                                Gaudette is a very good player as is Sikura. In my opinion, we have great players on the team and let's leave it at that.
                                Interesting. Just curious now, who do you think is better than Gaudette? His play has impressed me immensely this year, driving the offense as well as playing 200 feet of defense. Only people I can consider for the throne are ZAR and Nolan.
                                "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

Working...
                                X