X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2016-17 -- Great Expectations

Originally posted by HHound View Post
    Not sure that all three have $, but Theut came in without any and Frye cannot have much.
    Just curious where you got this because my information is quite different. He may be on a 2/4 deal but he definitely is part of the 18 player formula.

Comment

Originally posted by ppguru View Post
      easiest way to sum this team up is to say that after the top 5 or 6 six players, they're just not good enough and they lack quality depth. Give me a grade for the following four groups: Goaltending;
      f

defense (as a group);
      d+

top two forward lines (as a group);
      a-

and bottom two forward lines (as a group).
      c

Comment

Originally posted by PPGuru View Post
        You must have missed this post. Looked at HE stats today and noticed that NU has scored just 29 goals in 12 league games. The 76 goals in 22 games overall is a bit deceptive. That 5+ goals per game drops to about under 2.5 goals per game in HE.
        There's a significant drop in G/GP between #1 BC and #5 ND...it's not just Northeastern...I will note that BU swept BC this past weekend...one was a shutout...BC's remaining games has them going against some pretty good goaltending...

Comment

Some NU recruits mentioned:

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/coll...-ohl-merrimack
          https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
          Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
            Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by PPGuru View Post
              Was there anybody that saw last place?
              See Hockey East Preseason Thread...

" If Ruck has a Soph slump they could be behind UMO. "
              Originally posted by Hokydad
              Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by Gr8Sk8M8 View Post
                Just curious where you got this because my information is quite different. He may be on a 2/4 deal but he definitely is part of the 18 player formula.
                It came from the folks who make these decisions. Perhaps Theut has subsequently earned a partial as the team needs a practice goalie. Frye had aged out of juniors and was, AFAIK recruited walk-on. It's entirely possible that either or both of these guys have financial aid - instead of scholarship $. Keeping your kid outfitted with goalie equipment can quickly help a family to qualify for aid . IIRC if a player gets financial aid, there are severe limits on the amount of scholarship $ he may receive (and vice versa).

Comment

It came from the folks who make these decisions.
                  As was mine...I'm looking for an opening to update my information base...

Comment

IIRC if a player gets financial aid, there are severe limits on the amount of scholarship $ he may receive (and vice versa).
                    You are correct...any scholarship funds, i.e. in kind grants for tuition, books and housing that he receives goes 1-1 against the team's scholarship allocation. I believe that the NCAA recently carved out an exception for food and, possibly, some personal items...i.e. a program can use funds to feed its players for the semester without it counting against their scholarship, pool...

Federal and State awarded aid is exempt...

Comment

I make the case for ZAR to be among those in the Hobey Baker race
                      http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/20...ike-vecchione/
                      "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                        I make the case for ZAR to be among those in the Hobey Baker race
                        http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/20...ike-vecchione/
                        Thanks...great case...I watch/see a lot of hockey and there are none in the Top (next) 5 NCAA players that play the 200' game as well as he does against the best competition in college hockey - that he scores is also a compelling factor and had I a vote he'd get it.

That said, I'd be very surprised if they awarded it to a Boston area player for the 4th year in a row and to a program that isn't having that great of a year.

Comment

Pecararo update is that the NCAA is still waiting for his Fall transcripts - apparently the holdup on this is one instructor. He is registered and attending classes.

The source of the above information further avers that all three goalies are receiving some amount of scholarship money.

Comment

Pecararo update is that the NCAA is still waiting for his Fall transcripts - apparently the holdup on this is one instructor....
                            Presumably, it's a Northeastern instructor that's holding this up. If so, then somebody in the administration ought to have enough clout to get this person off his/her butt and do what he/she gets paid to do, which (I think) includes reporting grades in a timely manner.
                            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

• Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                              Presumably, it's a Northeastern instructor that's holding this up. If so, then somebody in the administration ought to have enough clout to get this person off his/her butt and do what he/she gets paid to do, which (I think) includes reporting grades in a timely manner.
                              It is not a Northeastern professor. He had to take classes at a CC which is why he didn't enroll until Dec.
                              https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                              Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Thanks...great case...I watch/see a lot of hockey and there are none in the Top (next) 5 NCAA players that play the 200' game as well as he does against the best competition in college hockey - that he scores is also a compelling factor and had I a vote he'd get it.

That said, I'd be very surprised if they awarded it to a Boston area player for the 4th year in a row and to a program that isn't having that great of a year.
                                Thanks for bringing up the other elements of his game. ZAR has more hits in an average game than the other kids have the entire season. He is fun to watch (and a beast to play against) even when he doesn't have the puck.

And, although he plays for a Boston team, he is not from Mass, like Vecchione and Kelleher. He's from the hockey hotbed of Staten Island, NY, land of NYC firefighters, NYC cops and NYC gangsters. But you raise a valid point. I wonder if these guys will split the Northeast vote and somebody from out west will swoop in and steal it.

Comment

Working...
                                X