This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2016-17 -- Great Expectations

Any points help at this stage of the year. Tonight, 2 was best and most desired, 1 is alright, we'll take it, 0 would have been fuel to the dumpster fire. Take the point, and focus on Merrimack next week.

Good things: Ruck actually played solid I thought. Saved 33/35. Good positioning most of the night, still had some scrambles and rebound issues. Filipe with maybe his best game, played great in the cycle game, was physical, drew 2 penalties, hit a post, had 4 SOG, really would love to see him with ZAR/John until Nolan returns. ZAR/Sikura/Johnny did great.

The defense shut down Kelleher, who leads the nation in points. This is the first time he's gone 2 games without a point since Feburary 2016. Keeping him off the scoresheet isn't easy. Shea shut him down well.

Bad: Williams-Davies-Collier-Kurker was on the ice for both UNH goals. That's not good. Passing wasn't crisp but it was outdoor hockey, that's expected. Breakouts were pretty poor, UNH had a 2 man forecheck most of the game that really threw us off, Tom Caron was talking alot about that.
    "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

• with about 13 odd ticks left in OT.. their net came off.. not sure what caused it but i saw Gaudette? or someone make a pass to the slot to someone.. seemed the guy was wide open..
      whistle blew the play dead & faceoff came outside. thought that was a great opportunity but not meant to be this time. Still not convinced about Ruck but he was slightly better.. still had his moments. Tirone for them looked solid.. very solid.
      GO NU HOCKEY
      Always bullish on the future.
      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

• and our next opponent ('Mack) handles Notre Dame by a couple goals tonight.. no easy games.

So important that we get some sound goatending down the stretch. Go NU
        GO NU HOCKEY
        We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

At this point this season is about ZAR's Hobey candidacy, getting Nolan back and maybe pulling an upset or two in the Beanpot and/or HE tourney. Even with the recent struggles I thought they were clearly a better team than UNH and I was wrong. I thought the play was pretty even over the 125 minutes this weekend.
          2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
          2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
            At this point this season is about ZAR's Hobey candidacy, getting Nolan back and maybe pulling an upset or two in the Beanpot and/or HE tourney. Even with the recent struggles I thought they were clearly a better team than UNH and I was wrong. I thought the play was pretty even over the 125 minutes this weekend.
            We all thought they were a better team than they have shown. Some thought first round bye. Some thought first round home ice. Was there anybody that saw last place?

Comment

• Originally posted by PPGuru View Post
              We all thought they were a better team than they have shown. Some thought first round bye. Some thought first round home ice. Was there anybody that saw last place?
              ..take away the sevreral 1 goal / late 3rd period losses and they are in the mix of things. Goaltending has got to get sharper. Hoping they can overcome it this season.
              GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by PPGuru View Post
                who's this "WE", white boy?!?!?!

they are who we thought they'd be
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                  who's this "WE", white boy?!?!?!

they are who we thought they'd be
                  Dissed by Mookie. I have arrived on USCHO!!! (Really, though......Mookie had NU pegged for last place in October?)

Comment

• Originally posted by PPGuru View Post
                    Dissed by Mookie. I have arrived on USCHO!!! (Really, though......Mookie had NU pegged for last place in October?)
                    ..don't mind him.. it's not that he doesn't have an open mind.. it's just vacant.
                    GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Yes.

1. BC
                      2. Notre Dame
                      3. PC
                      4. Merrimack
                      5. UML
                      6. BU... Jack Eichel is not walking through that door. Sucks to BU.
                      7. UMass
                      8. UNH
                      9. UConn
                      10. Maine
                      11. VT
                      12. NU

Conference Tournament Championship: NU. After a 2-34-0 start, they make the NCAA's! Whoop, whoop!
                      National Tournament teams: NU (3 win auto bid), BC, ND, BU (not sure how... The Parker Foundation bribed the committee?)
                      Coach Firing/retiring: Jeff Jackson leaves for the B1G.
                      Link
                      Last edited by FiveHole12; 01-16-2017, 06:39 AM.
                      'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

To be honest Mookie didn't think y'all would be last.

Hard to pick anyone worse than Maine
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

FiveHole, I can see there was some tongue in cheek sarcasm there but you did put NU in the 12 spot. No taking that away from you!

Comment

• Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                            Yes.

Link
                            So we're winning the conference tournament? Sounds good to me.
                            2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                            2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Before we beat up on the goaltending any more than we already have, it's instructive to note that NU has three players among the top ten scorers nationally (ZAR - 4; Sikura - 7; Gaud - 10) but absolutely nada among the remaining 40. Says something (bad) about secondary scoring.
                              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Easiest way to sum this team up is to say that after the top 5 or 6 six players, they're just not good enough and they lack quality depth. Give me a grade for the following four groups: Goaltending; Defense (as a group); Top Two Forward lines (as a group); and Bottom Two Forward Lines (as a group).
                                You must have missed this post. Looked at HE stats today and noticed that NU has scored just 29 goals in 12 league games. The 76 goals in 22 games overall is a bit deceptive. That 5+ goals per game drops to about under 2.5 goals per game in HE.

Comment

Working...
                                X