This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't like to see it or say it..
    but Rucks's performance/s are beginning to mirror Rawlings.
    GO NU HOCKEY
    Always bullish on the future.
    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2016-17 -- Great Expectations

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      You should be watching replays of those games on DVR if you have em, celebrate away.

I do think these results this year were predictable to a lot of people. Maybe not quite this bad in league play but similar.
      Yea...thanks...think I'll start with the Huskies lighting up the bestest goalie in all of college hockey for 5 goals and ZAR undressing the two bestest defensemen in college hockey before beating the bestest goalie in the whole wide world five hole...

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
        Don't like to see it or say it..
        As bad as Ruck was...goal # 1 and goal #3 are both on the defense with an assist on goal #1 to Gaudette...you have ZAR giving up a hand or arm to block a shot...you have Stevens throwing his body around on bodies and in front of pucks...and UNH scores on, essentially, a 2 on 3 cross-ice pass through three wickets because #8 watches the play with stick on hips and the defense is in LaLa Land...

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
          You thought...
          Right there you gave him too much credit...

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
            You thought NU would have the national goal scoring leader and three players with at least 8 more points than BC's leading scorer, in spite of their leading goal scorer from last year breaking his wrist and missing every conference game, but lose every game 5-4 because their goaltender is on pace for one of the worst seasons in Hockey East history and they refuse to bench him? Interesting.
            I'm not nostradamus so i didn't predict every little detail but i did expect a step back. Not as bad as record is now but a decent step backwards. Some great forwards but very weak defensively and in goal.

Comment

I said in the HE preseason thread that i thought NU was getting too much love.

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                Yeah,And I think of you were capable of introspective review of what's been said and your reaction you'd realize you're in the wrong here.
                Should you or any of your TROLL Force be killed or captured your English Instructors will disavow any knowledge of your activities...

My lord, man, take a minimal amount of pride in your writing...
                Last edited by Gr8Sk8M8; 01-13-2017, 07:46 AM.

Comment

I'm not nostradamus
                  You're not a lot of things...

At some point, your goalie has to steal you a game...this one opens up the vault...NU starts every game down 3-0...

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                    Don't like to see it or say it..
                    Rawlings should have left when the Devils wanted to sign him. I've heard rumors from divergent sources that JM actually blew smoke up Chris' gaspipe telling him that he could be a mentor to Gilles all the while believing that there was no way in hell that Rawlings would return...I've alluded to this previously...

Recruiting a goalie is never easy and most recruiters will tell you that the amount of time it takes to recruit just one is about the same as recruiting a full line of players...but there is a science or formula to it which requires traveling to Alberta and BC as well as haunting goalie clinics...Cronin knew this but I can state emphatically that NU now does neither.
                    Last edited by Gr8Sk8M8; 01-13-2017, 08:06 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gr8Sk8M8 View Post

Recruiting a goalie is never easy and most recruiters will tell you that the amount of time it takes to recruit just one is about the same as recruiting a full line of players...but there is a science or formula to it which requires traveling to Alberta and BC as well as haunting goalie clinics...Cronin knew this but I can state emphatically that NU now does neither.
                      no kidding..!

Souza has been very busy for UNH.. the other Boston schools, well ..always.. what is NU doing? Or i should ask.. why isn't NU doing it???

And if we are going to give Theut a chance.. pls dont start him at Frozen Fenway. Give the kid a legitimate chance at some point.. what's the worst.. we lose the gm
                      .. is it different from what's happening anyway..
                      C'mon Coaches.. something!
                      GO NU HOCKEY
                      Always bullish on the future.
                      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

I'm not nostradamus so i didn't predict every little detail but i did expect a step back. Not as bad as record is now but a decent step backwards. Some great forwards but very weak defensively and in goal.
                        The Huskies are top 10 in penalty killing, the issue is solely in goal. The defense certainly isn't the 2007 Anaheim Ducks but it's good enough to win A LOT of games given how loaded the top 6 is with Gaudette, Sikura and ZAR. Add Nolan Stevens and that's a group good enough to go on an HEA run again.

They need to bench Ruck immediately and never look back. Theut literally couldn't be worse.
                        Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
                        Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

Another poster mentioned this last night after we ran Ruck's updated numbers. Remember when Roy was saving 84% overall last year and we were freaking out, begging for him to be replaced?

Ruck is at 86.6% in HEA play, 88.4% overall, and does not have a single demographic that he is above 90% against now. We didn't think Ruck could [B]possibly[B] be as bad as Roy was last year, statistically. We were wrong, Jim was wrong, voters in preseason polls were wrong. Ruck is trending downwards with no real hope of reversal. He has allowed 2 goals or fewer ONCE in HEA play this year. And that one time, it was 2 goals exactly. And we lost 2-1.
                          "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                            Another poster mentioned this last night after we ran Ruck's updated numbers. Remember when Roy was saving 84% overall last year and we were freaking out, begging for him to be replaced?
                            It certainly is a big hole in their recruiting. Their attitude about it ("We don't depend on our goaltending to win games") is somewhat troubling.

Out front, this is arguably one of the best teams that they've ever put on the ice. Jerry Keefe deserves every accolade for bringing these guys in over the likes of Notre Dame, Maine and Providence and getting to the front of the line when ZAR decomm'd from Brown. Charlie Williams was a late commit...Lukas Haffner...late commit...Eamon McAdams...late commit to a new program...Nick Ellis ripe for the plucking prior to when Gilles switched...Kyle Hayton...late commit...each and every one of those goalies was a starter for a USHL team that NU was a regular presence in scouting...with the exception of Hayton, not one of them was ever approached.

Comment

Originally posted by Gr8Sk8M8 View Post
                              It certainly is a big hole in their recruiting. Their attitude about it ("We don't depend on our goaltending to win games") is somewhat troubling.

Out front, this is arguably one of the best teams that they've ever put on the ice. Jerry Keefe deserves every accolade for bringing these guys in over the likes of Notre Dame, Maine and Providence and getting to the front of the line when ZAR decomm'd from Brown. Charlie Williams was a late commit...Lukas Haffner...late commit...Eamon McAdams...late commit to a new program...Nick Ellis ripe for the plucking prior to when Gilles switched...Kyle Hayton...late commit...each and every one of those goalies was a starter for a USHL team that NU was a regular presence in scouting...with the exception of Hayton, not one of them was ever approached.
                              As posters mentioned - most coaches arent adequate recruiters nor proper evaluators of goaltenders. Most coaches werent goalies and arent certain what to look for - and to be honest its a hard position to project. It appears that Primeau coming in next year is the solution. Coaches know they cant screw up the goalie slot on their team - they usually only carry 2 with the 3rd being a non-scholarship player. You cant afford to miss on a goalie like you can on a forward or dman. The young blue chip goalies are few and far between but are scooped up early in the recruiting process the rest of the goalies is a huge waiting game as the pool gets cloudy. Primeau should be the answer - maybe a year too late though.

Comment

Originally posted by Gr8Sk8M8 View Post
                                As bad as Ruck was...goal # 1 and goal #3 are both on the defense with an assist on goal #1 to Gaudette...you have ZAR giving up a hand or arm to block a shot...you have Stevens throwing his body around on bodies and in front of pucks...and UNH scores on, essentially, a 2 on 3 cross-ice pass through three wickets because #8 watches the play with stick on hips and the defense is in LaLa Land...
                                Just watched the replay of goal #1 to see if I missed something re: Gaudette on that play. After seeing this several times, I still put the onus on Ruck. What I didn't notice live was that Cockerill played it poorly also. As the puck carrier comes over the line with a player trailing to possibly drop the puck to, Davies and Gaudette are in position covering those two. The wing on the far side drives to the net and Cockerill has a choice: go to the that third man or wait and cherry pick the cross ice pass. (Schule is coming back hard to cover the front of the net if Cockerill pursues the far wing.) Cockerill decides to try to pick off the pass and is slow/late in doing so. Ruck, following the play, is late/slow tracking the puck across ice. (Perhaps Ruck thought Cockerill would intercept the pass easily?) When Cockerill fails to stop the pass, Ruck is not in position and the goal is scored from a pretty weak angle. Just my take on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X