X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2016-17 -- Great Expectations

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
    Agree with the beginning and end of this truncated quote but I maintain the goaltending situation has been impossible--not just tough--to overcome. And you need look no further than the statistics tab on the HEA website to figure out why. For starters, Ruck is sporting a .887 save percentage with 59 goals against and a 3.16 GAA. Next lowest in save percentage is Drew Vogler (Mack) who checks at .902; next lowest in goals against and GAA is Rob McGovern (Maine) with 48/2.98. In relative terms, the gap between Ruck and the next poorest performers is statistically significant.

At the other end of the spectrum, Oettinger (BU) has a .930 save percentage with 31 goals against and a 1.94 GAA; next is Wall (UML) at .927/33/1.95. Expressed another way, NU needs to score almost 5 goals per game to have a reasonable shot at winning. Easier said than done by any HEA team.

Personally, I think the NU forwards match up well with top teams while the D is arguably better than the one that helped bring home the HEA championship last year. I wish I had a magic fix.
    While Ruck has not been good, the D has arguably been worse. Williams has been horrendous this year on D and has not provided much on the offensive end either, considering that he is on the PP unit. In all of the hoopla of an 8-2 victory over Clarkson, nobody mentioned how badly Williams was beat on the 2 goals that Clarkson managed to score (go back and watch if you have the heart). He has been getting beat like that all season. Others have mentioned Cockerill's troubles on D, but I guess we are willing to live with it given his offensive production; however, he hasn't made Ruck's job any easier. Davies has a nice stick and looks great with the puck, but he loses guys by the net all of the time, as though he has no peripheral vision. For my money, the only two D-men who have been good in the D zone are Owens and Shea. The same 6 D-men have played together uninterrupted for 16 straight games and they have not improved as a unit at all. Ruck has been bad, but he hasn't gotten much help up front.

Comment

Originally posted by beanstalk View Post
      While Ruck has not been good, the D has arguably been worse. Williams has been horrendous this year on D and has not provided much on the offensive end either, considering that he is on the PP unit. In all of the hoopla of an 8-2 victory over Clarkson, nobody mentioned how badly Williams was beat on the 2 goals that Clarkson managed to score (go back and watch if you have the heart). He has been getting beat like that all season. Others have mentioned Cockerill's troubles on D, but I guess we are willing to live with it given his offensive production; however, he hasn't made Ruck's job any easier. Davies has a nice stick and looks great with the puck, but he loses guys by the net all of the time, as though he has no peripheral vision. For my money, the only two D-men who have been good in the D zone are Owens and Shea. The same 6 D-men have played together uninterrupted for 16 straight games and they have not improved as a unit at all. Ruck has been bad, but he hasn't gotten much help up front.
      No one has been harder on Cockerill than I have going all the way back to his being recruited...but I have to say, he has settled down and is not trying to do too much and his play has improved...I agree about Shea and Williams but point out the fact that Williams really did not have that great of a year last year until the playoffs...absolutely disagree about Owens...he'd have to get better to be just bad...Davies had a rough game @ UVM...a lot of giveaways...

Ruck has been horrible...any goalie who cannot control rebounds to the point of making a conscious decision to poke the puck into the slot instead of diving on top of it, really does not deserve to be in net...no matter how bad those who are below him on depth chart are...

BTW, there are rumors - not good - about Pecararo...anyone know if he's registered? I can't get an answer out of anyone...

Comment

• All i want is for us to be a competitive program.. last yr was great.. then comes another season and we are struggling for league wins (again).. Why can't we just be competitive..

Honestly Madigan & co.. just get it together already.. build a program yr in.. build it for the long term (this should have already been happening).. does not have to be this dramatic yr in yr out..
        GO NU HOCKEY
        Always bullish on the future.
        We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Gr8Sk8M8 View Post
          BTW, there are rumors - not good - about Pecararo...anyone know if he's registered? I can't get an answer out of anyone...
          He tweeted about classes today, so one would assume he's in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
            Well below? Couldn't have been well below to win 21 out of 23.
            Backing up Agganis on this one. Last year against the bottom half of the conference, Ruck saved 92.6%. Top half was 89.3. Those are including playoff games. Against NCAA teams he was 88.9%, agains non-NCAA he was 93.1%. He played well against an awful schedule, the offense was clicking, so the wins came. A fellow blogger did the math, last year's second half strength of schedule was .231. Compared to .579 in the first half. Even as a very biased NU fan, it's easy to see how a run like the one we had could have happened. Taking nothing away from winning 4 straight vs ND/BC/Lowell. But to get to that point, not exactly the stiffest competition.

But overall of 90.9, conference SV% of 90.8, and the numbers getting worse against good teams- he was definitely a below average goalie.
            "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Easiest way to sum this team up is to say that after the top 5 or 6 six players, they're just not good enough and they lack quality depth. Give me a grade for the following four groups: Goaltending; Defense (as a group); Top Two Forward lines (as a group); and Bottom Two Forward Lines (as a group).

Comment

Originally posted by PPGuru View Post
                Easiest way to sum this team up is to say that after the top 5 or 6 six players, they're just not good enough and they lack quality depth. Give me a grade for the following four groups: Goaltending; Defense (as a group); Top Two Forward lines (as a group); and Bottom Two Forward Lines (as a group).
                Goaltending: D- Theut's taking a point from Notre Dame keeps it from an F.
                Defense: B- I see a lot of good things to take away. Davies has been great. Cockerill is having a prolific season from the blue line, and has improved lately, both individually and as a leader. Shea has impressed me with his play. Williams can be physical but has taken a step back, offensively and defensively, IMO. That slap shot needs to be used more and set up more by the team. Wasted talent. Owens and Cecere are meh.
                Bottom Six: C/C+: Filipe has impressed me the last few games. He will be a good power forward with time. Pond does his job well on line 4. Collier has started to play a little more lively. But Lerario is a bust so far, Jamieson is what he is, and Kurker has not produced since he arrived. This grade will likely improve when Pecararo/Jozefek return and players get moved around
                Top 6: A: Only think keeping this from an A+ is Schule and Griffin not producing at Top 6 levels, but that's unfair to them, as they are not at that level yet. They have been good for cycles and possession, and Schule already has more goals than last year. ZAR is having a historic season, Sikura has continued to improve, and Gaudette has been great. Nolan is an incomplete due to injury.
                "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                  Taking nothing away from winning 4 straight vs ND/BC/Lowell.
                  As well as the two straight from Maine and Notre Dame and the 11 straight prior...but you're taking nothing away...

We can make frame the argument as such that this is a tale of two Rucks but I will take nothing away from his performance last season...he even gave us a chance to beat BU in the first round of the Beanpot...

Comment

As well as the two straight from Maine and Notre Dame and the 11 straight prior...but you're taking nothing away...

We can make frame the argument as such that this is a tale of two Rucks but I will take nothing away from his performance last season...he even gave us a chance to beat BU in the first round of the Beanpot...
                    Naming the teams that NU beat during the hot streak doesn't change that on the whole he was a below average goalie last season. Not to mention that some of the wins were in spite of him, not because of him (most notably win 2 at ND and the semis vs BC).

Comment

Just ignore the BU Troll...
                      Troll on Troll action? I like it. Keep it going.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                        Troll on Troll action? I like it. Keep it going.
                        To be a full Northeastern troll, he needs to put "BU" in lower case letters.

Comment

Story on Aston-Reese:
                          http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/hock...m-madigan-ncaa
                          https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                          Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

• Originally posted by Tater View Post
                            To be a full Northeastern troll, he needs to put "BU" in lower case letters.
                            Mookie a still awaiting royalties.........
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              Mookie a still awaiting royalties.........
                              Apparently, Godot, from Beckett, is a bu alum who will personally bring you the royalties that you richly deserve!

Comment

I'm not making an argument, the numbers literally point to it. Any competent Division 1 goalie should be able to post good numbers against a second half schedule that has a SOS of .231. Especially any goalie that plays in Hockey East. Winning the trophy was nice and we thank him for his service in that endeavor but it doesn't nullify what the numbers show or excuse the turd of a season he's put forth this year
                                "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

Working...
                                X