X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2016-17 -- Great Expectations

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
    Having said that, if we could have just recruited someone Vogler/Tirone/Nichols level instead of Derick Roy level, this would be a completely different season.
    It always seemed to me that Derick was not actually recruited. They recruited Kevin Roy and were “encouraged” to take his brother Derick as well - a package deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhett Hot View Post
      Thanks!

Is there an ETA on his joining the line up?

(One of my colleagues is an extended family member of his and has been wondering when/if he'll play.)
      IN theory, he could have played against MSU...I don't know what the hold up is...my guess it's just the NCAA being *anal*...

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
        Yale preview: http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/20...-ingalls-rink/

I was wondering about Pec myself, and why if there is a "hitch" it would take until now to resolve. Hopefully it's quick and easy and he can get some games in under his belt before the Beanpot. Speaking of, based on GSM's outline below that puts Nolan returning the last couple days of January, giving him ~ a week to prepare for the Beanpot, with 2 games in there. So Nolan can work some rust off too
        There have been holdups on other players, one who is currently rostered, in fact...but because they weren't mid-year transfers there was no publicity...back in 2013, one current player wasn't certified until a few days before the semester started...

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
          sounds like a tough outing for Ruck letting in 5 tonight.. would love to hear from someone who heard/ saw the gm. Any softies.. did D lv him out there..
          He fought the puck all night - literally from the first shot - and his uncanny ability to make himself small in the net and give up potentially disastrous rebound after rebound was on full display.

congrats to Yale on the (sounds like) hard fought W.
          Yale played a very basic and un**** game and it worked for them.

Truth be told, we were pretty uninspired for most of the game. Certainly not an effort that was worth the trip down in the rain to sit in a cold rink.

Comment

Originally posted by scorer View Post
            It always seemed to me that Derick was not actually recruited. They recruited Kevin Roy and were “encouraged” to take his brother Derick as well - a package deal.
            It was a package deal. At some point in 2011-12 season, Brown let it be know that they wouldn't roster him let alone admit him, which is when Keefe went to work...he had recruited the Roys to Brown and the switch to NU was done.

I'll never understand how they could blow the Gilles deal and how they can not see how that affected their recruiting...

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
              Was at the game, three of the goals were high snipes, other two no chance. Not really a defensive lapse, just very hard shots, the DiChiara goal might be the only one that was iffy. Great hard fought game, I think Yales forward depth and forechecking made the difference.
              Fifth goal we had a chance to clear and someone, not sure who, whiffed on the puck. I thought that all of the goals were pretty weak...he's down too soon which limits his options while increasing the options that the shooters have.

The "theory" of goaltending is rather simple...the less net you show the less likely a goal is going to be scored...he shows far too much net...

Comment

Do you think Theut would have fared better?
                Theut is not up to the level...he plays too deep and is too slow...

Comment

Originally posted by scorer View Post
                  Yet he would seemingly have been, at very worst, the second best of our four goalies had he returned for his fifth year. For some reason we're incapable of recruiting competent goalies to back up (and sometimes to start)

Comment

Yet he would seemingly have been, at very worst, the second best of our four goalies had he returned for his fifth year. For some reason we're incapable of recruiting competent goalies to back up (and sometimes to start)
                    He had his degree and I can't imagine the coaching staff was encouraging him to go to grad school as they had counted on getting his full ride back to use on an incoming recruit.

Comment

Oh I completely agree with not having him back, I'm just saying the kid who we didn't really want and took on just to get his brother in the fold is better than 2-3 of our actual recruited goalies. Even if 2 of them aren't on scholarship.

Comment

Meh. I've come to accept that if Ruck is still starting at this point, there has to be a reason for it. I'd rather start the better goalie than make a change for the sake of making a change. Ruck is bad, but how bad Ruck is has no bearing on whether Theut is worse. We basically have one backup goalie and two third goalies on our roster. Blame the coaches for not fixing it back when Rawlings was here or when Witt was here, but we weren't getting Joe Woll or Jake Oettinger to come in for one year when they know Primeau is coming right around the corner.

Having said that, if we could have just recruited someone Vogler/Tirone/Nichols level instead of Derick Roy level, this would be a completely different season.
                        Recruiting an above average goalie is a box that JM hasn't checked yet. Hopefully Primeau checks off that box. JM has obviously done well recruiting forwards, he has 2 d-man recruits in the NHL and some young talent on the current roster but in net its been a big bag of suck. It certainly seemed like Cro had more of a plan in place regarding his goaltenders. Thiessen>Rawlings>Witt>Gillies. Obviously the Rawlings plan didn't quite work on like Cronin had hoped, but it was a plan and Rawlings played a ton of games. He didn't go into the season (not including his first year, thanks Crowder) starting a guy like DRoy like we did last year.
                        2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                        2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

• In other news.. reading nhl news.. former Husky Anthony Bitteto called up to the Preds from his conditioning assignment with Milwaukee.. goodluck to him.
                          GO NU HOCKEY
                          Always bullish on the future.
                          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

• Safe travels NU. Go Huskies!
                            GO NU HOCKEY
                            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

UVM streams games for free and IIRC the quality is actually pretty good. Link here: http://www.nsnsports.net/colleges/un...ty-of-vermont/
                              "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                                UVM streams games for free and IIRC the quality is actually pretty good. Link here: http://www.nsnsports.net/colleges/un...ty-of-vermont/
                                thank you!
                                GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Working...
                                X