X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2016-17 -- Great Expectations

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
    ..agree. thought after last season he would be more motivated to work on things to get better over summer.. be it camp or conditioning.. def looks off.
    He got lit up like Christmas at the Blues' prospect camp, fwiw. Did not have a good showing at all and had the same issue...rebound control.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus655321 View Post
      Jewer-esque
      Geragosian is STILL seeing pucks in his sleep from that season...

Comment

Originally posted by Tilldog40 View Post
        I didn't think Ruck would be playing this bad to be honest. I thought we were coming into the season with a strong goal tender. He isn't seeing the puck well and is giving up way to many second chances with huge rebounds. I never thought he was a super star but expected much stronger play than this.
        I saw him Saturday and couldn't believe how much he was fighting the puck.
        Originally posted by mookie1995
        bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
        Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
        Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

Feature on Jeremy Davies:
          http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/hock...hl-bloomington
          https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
          Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

well whatever it is that is ailing Ruck.. hopefully he can fight through it and get back at it. if not.. Theut looked good in the little that i did see him.
            Obviously the Coaches see something in practice.. or know something and that is why he (Ryan) keeps getting the ice time. Maybe goodwill from the HE Championship.

Minnesota game with the return of a former Husky on it, should be fun regardless. Too bad its over the break. Go Huskies!
            GO NU HOCKEY
            Always bullish on the future.
            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

I'm coming out to the games this weekend and looking forward to the trip - made the same journey two years ago where the Huskies promptly dispatched The Gophers.

What can I expect from the team this year?

For the Gophers, this will sum up the season so far:
              - Schierhorn (Goalie) has been great in games (4 SO) and been terrible in games
              - Defense has been mostly good with a few exceptions. They are young, with two true Frosh playing and one sophomore. Only 1 sr. and a rotation of Jr.s that have struggled.
              - Offense - top line has struggled at times. Szmatula has been a bright spot and brings energy, but I suppose you know that. Novak, Sheehy, Kloos are the big scorers. Lettieri and Bristedt are energy guys (pest like at times), and then others the fill roles and do their jobs. The 4th line has been the most consistent this year and gets a lot of ice time 5X5.
              - PP has been pretty decent this year, so you may want to stay out of the box
              - PK has been horrible, so you may want to try and create some penalties.

Comment

• Short version here.. (just my take of course)..

as a Gopher fan, you will like the outcome of the gm.. we are very depleted & team has some key players out with injuries. Our goaltending has also been shaky of late. I wish i could say I am cautiously optimistic.. but team has not played with consistency.

Hope you enjoy Matthews Arena.. kids will be on break so not sure how that works one way or the other. Advantage Gophers. Having said that, Go NU.. gotta start somewhere.
                GO NU HOCKEY
                We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

So I did a goal-by-goal analysis of the 9 goals scored on our goalies last weekend. Here's what I got. Judge for yourself.

FRIDAY (All on Ruck)
                  1) PC wins faceoff clean, Walman skates to his left, fires a wrister, inside left post and in, stick side. Minimal screen in front of Ruck.
                  2) Shot from the slot, big rebound to the left, can't get the glove down on it, PC skater walks in and tucks it home.
                  3) 5 on 3 PP for PC, point shot one timer glances off Davies and goes over Ruck's shoulder.
                  4) Extra skater for PC, point shot gets tipped and goes in stick side. Ruck doesn't seem to react to the shot, likely didn't see it.

The highlights also showed a poor rebound early in the game where he dives out to "cover" as well as a post hit stick side.

Saturday
                  1) Ruck: Faceoff won clean, far side/red line shot gets rebounded into the empty slot. Collier's man burns him, collects loose puck, tucks home.
                  2) Ruck: Shea gets deked around, initial shot saved but popus up over Ruck's head. Batted in by the shooter who stayed in the slot.
                  3) Ruck: Prov PP. Puck is cleared from a cluster of players in the slot, point man walks in and blasts a one timer clean stick side. Ruck was not screened.
                  4) Theut: Puck cleared/broken up off the rush, PC player picks up loose puck, snipes over the glove-side shoulder.
                  5) Theut: 4 on 3 PC PP. Theut gets over in time but the puck gets through him between the body and glove.

So that's that. I'd wager that 1 of the 2 Theut goals were ones he should have had (the second), whereas 5 of the goals were ones that I would say Ruck needs to be better on. Tips are hit or miss but it was his reaction, or lack thereof, to the shot that has me worried. Even if you take that one off, there's 2 rebounds and the pop up one, plus a clearly seen slap shot. Also most of the goals that weren't rebounds went stick side on him. We've talked at length about his shaky glove hand but he's getting beat on both sides now..
                  "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

• From earlier this week's Ledger..

http://www.patriotledger.com/sports/20161121/college-hockey-gaudette--shea-making-impact-on-northeasterns-mens-hockey-team

..we sure could use all the offense we can get.
                    GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                      And so, the Rawlings era continues. And in case anyone missed it, UConn shutout the mighty BU 4-0. Happy Holidays!
                      Didn't see a post about last night's game, so I thought I'd help - BU beat Harvard last night!! And Harvard's a nationally ranked team, so I don't know how that happened.

Good luck against Minnesota this weekend. We have no games so I may check out your game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                        Good luck against Minnesota this weekend..
                        we going to need that.. that & some goaltending ought to do it.
                        GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by JoeGopher View Post
                          I'm coming out to the games this weekend and looking forward to the trip - made the same journey two years ago where the Huskies promptly dispatched The Gophers...What can I expect from the team this year?
                          I circled this date on my calendar a long time ago thinking that it might be a signature matchup between two top-ten teams. But both teams have been disappointments--at least so far. Minnesota does have a signature win over UND but has suffered the indignities of losing to in-state opponents three times. NU, on the other hand, has a signature tie against BU but suffered the indignity of breaking a Zamboni to get a badly needed point against Notre Dame.

If there is a difference between the two teams, it has to be in goal. Your guy as least has a pair of shutouts against UND and Minny State while our guy seems to have lost the magic that helped win a HEA tournament championship back in March.

Have fun at Matthews. You should have the run of the place since the students are on break and the only compelling reasons for anyone else to break away from their turkey leftovers are 1) To witness the warm welcome your #9 is sure to receive from former teammates he turned his back on and 2) To see if the Zambonies make it around the rink without breaking down again.

Stop by the Varsity Club (Zamboni end behind the VIP Box). We're usually friendly although a bit grumpy these days.
                          Last edited by Split-N; 11-23-2016, 10:39 AM.
                          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                            If there is a difference between the two teams, it has to be in goal... our guy seems to have lost the magic that helped win a HEA tournament championship back in March.
                            An average D1 starting goalie last year posted a save% of .920; in the 6 game run through the HE Playoffs Ruck posted a .897 save%. Y'all won those games (mostly) in spite of him, not thanks to his "magic".

He just took a step back from those bad performances and has been an even worse .878 in the 13 games since lifting that trophy.

Comment

• maybe they will give Theut a chance to start @ home. he absolutely seemed ready vs ND.
                              GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                                An average D1 starting goalie last year posted a save% of .920; in the 6 game run through the HE Playoffs Ruck posted a .897 save%. Y'all won those games (mostly) in spite of him, not thanks to his "magic".

He just took a step back from those bad performances and has been an even worse .878 in the 13 games since lifting that trophy.
                                And Happy Thanksgiving to you, too! I already have a bad case of indigestion without being reminded of this and the turkey isn't even in the oven yet.
                                "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Working...
                                X