X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2016-17 -- Great Expectations

Originally posted by beanstalk View Post
    The +/- stat is particularly useless this year, as statistician errors happen too often and are never corrected. Case in point: In the first game of the year, the statistician had Owens and Schechter on the ice for the second Quinnipiac goal instead of Williams and Gaudette. The funny part is that you can actually see Williams and Gaudette as the two Huskies closest to the puck when the goal goes in on the highlights (it was Williams' man who pounded home the rebound). Yet, the errors are never corrected and no, it doesn't even out over the course of the season. See for yourself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvslN_EQQes
    Not saying decisions should be made using +/- and nothing else, more of a "look at the guys who have it in the positive and then compare to how they are used on the ice." Merely a conversational tool to encourage the talented players on the team play with the other talented players.
    "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

D-man Jordan Harris, born in 2000 (wow, do I feel old) committed yesterday.

Mark Bilotta ‏@mbilotta

00 D Jordan Harris (NU) makes smart decisions with/without the puck. Excellent skater with an active stick mixed with physicality: big get.
      2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
      2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
        D-man Jordan Harris, born in 2000 (wow, do I feel old) committed yesterday.

Mark Bilotta ‏@mbilotta

00 D Jordan Harris (NU) makes smart decisions with/without the puck. Excellent skater with an active stick mixed with physicality: big get.
        Further information: http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/20...d-jim-madigan/

Want to feel older? The twins that committed a week back are '01s. NU have 3 '01s committed.
        "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

Originally posted by Gr8Sk8M8 View Post
          To say that the line combos Friday were absolutely moronic would be a disservice to how they were deployed. You have three top forwards in the NCAA, let alone HE, why are they getting 18 minutes a game going against teams where the Top Line guys are getting 24-26? There was a 4 - 5 minute stretch in the 2nd period where neither ZAR nor Sikura made the ice and then you have them out for the Pity Shift in the 3rd.

Unbelievable.

I need to state that I am absolutely disappointed how none of the newer/3rd-4th line players have stepped up. Filipe has all but disappeared. Lerario is doing pirouettes. Picking is allergic to body contact. Pond can't take three steps without falling down. Jamison had a real chance to show that he could channel that energy into some constructive play. Pffft...nothing...
          Gr8Sk8
          Your information is pretty good, although it sounds like it comes out of the locker room (not always objective), but one part of this post made no sense to me. Are you watching the line changes with a stopwatch as members of the staff do? What makes you think that the first line is being shorted on PT? FYI I checked with a source who really does track these things. He indicated that during the first two periods on Sunday, Gaudette's line logged about 16+ minutes - which would have probably been 24+ minutes had there been a third period

IMHO, our kids played a pretty good game on Sunday against an ND team that was at least as strong a as the bu team(especially without Keller). They had three balance lines, were healthy from top to bottom, seemed physically stronger and had the pre-season first string goaltender who was on his game. The 4th line that hasn't produced any goals is really the fifth line getting ice time due to injuries to two top players and two lesser skaters. Picking has a history as a scorer, and Pond, is a checker and disrupter. They have contributed by pestering opponents into drawing at least a half dozen penalties (while the PP guys were resting on the bench. Also Pecararo, who has D1 experience, can't play until the Clarkson game. He was penciled in as the LW on Gaudette's line. The rest of the lines are so scrambled that they are far less effective than they might be when the players get to know their linemates" habits.

The D has been OK most of the time. If they were perfect, no one would score on us. The freshman are as advertised, but they will make mistakes as the acclimate to the D1 game. So will Cockerill We can agree that Ruck's goaltending has been disappointing, which cast a pall over the team's play and its results.

The most interesting thing about Sunday was Theut's debut. Some of the "fully mature" posters may remember ~1985 when Bruce Racine came into a game to relieve Timmy Marshall. By the end of that game, many of the fans were saying to themselves, "Wow! This kid can really play!!". He went on to set all kinds of school records and had a long professional career. I'm not saying that lighting is striking twice, but it is nice to know that we may have two serviceable goaltenders. The kid never touched the ice for two years. It was great to see how well he played when he finally got his chance. Hopefully we see him again - at least until someone manages to score on him.

Comment

http://hockeyeastonline.com/men/pres...1/nov16hea.php
            Last edited by boblav1; 11-16-2016, 04:30 PM.

Comment

I'll take it. We probably would've lost. We need HEA points.
              Northeastern Huskies

Beanpot Champions: 2018, 2019
              Hockey East Champions: 2016, 2019

Comment

• Originally posted by SkinsFan09 View Post
                I'll take it. We probably would've lost. We need HEA points.
                My take on it as well. Reportedly both Jackson and Madigan wanted to finish it. I'm ok with the point.
                "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

Originally posted by HHound View Post
                  Gr8Sk8
                  Your information is pretty good...
                  Thanks. I'm an NU alum (grad level) and I'm in the "business" but none of the info that I have posted here comes from the "locker room". Most of what I post is my own opinion.

FWIW, I played Major Junior in the Q and then CIS for 4 years. Very short pro-level career as I was tired of bus rides and Big Macs.

Originally posted by HHound View Post
                  Are you watching the line changes with a stopwatch as members of the staff do?
                  No. But I talk to people who do. Anyone who proactively watched the BU game @ BU should have noticed how often the Collier and Pond lines were on the ice (and Pond's for two of the goals, btw) . It's not limited to that game. The Madigan/Keefe philosophy has always been to roll the lines.

TOIs were up on Sunday and I did notice that the 4th line had only 3-4 E/S shifts...let's see if that trend continues...given past history...I'm not optimistic...

I've said what I have to say about the D...the issue is behind the bench which means it's on the practice ice as well. They need to get someone in there who understands how to coach gap control.

Theut did play well...ND certainly did attempt a lot of shots and the ones that went on net he was up to the task.
                  Last edited by Gr8Sk8M8; 11-17-2016, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                    Not saying decisions should be made using +/- and nothing else, more of a "look at the guys who have it in the positive and then compare to how they are used on the ice." Merely a conversational tool to encourage the talented players on the team play with the other talented players.
                    My two cents is that plus/minus is fairly useless for Forwards and only slightly better for Defense.

Comment

• playing good thus far tonight.. i like the offense being generated. hopefully start of something going. be nice to get on the HE points scoreboard & get something going.. go NU.
                      GO NU HOCKEY
                      Always bullish on the future.
                      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

• oh.. & they never make it easy.
                        GO NU HOCKEY
                        We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Ruck is not having a good year thus far. I don't trust him.
                          These are good times to be a Husky Dawg!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tilldog40 View Post
                            Ruck is not having a good year thus far. I don't trust him.
                            Does not inspire any cause of confidence. I want Theut in net tomorrow.

Well, that wasn't easy on the heart. Up 5-1, PC scores 3 straight including a PP and extra attacker goal. NU shot themselves in the foot with penalties galore. Ruck was shaky as usual, does not inspire any confidence in those watching the game. Offense clicked really well against a very good defensive team. PC averaged 23 SOG against, we had 34. That's good. We scored 5 goals, multiple at 5v5, and multiple on the PP. That's good.

Defense was average at best, thought it got worse as the game went on. PK was bleh, closer to bad. Ruck made 1 or 2 saves that could be highlight reel worthy but overall didn't do much...4 goals on 30 shots is in line with his .888 SV%.

2 points is 2 points. First win in conference play. Monkey off the back. Tomorrow is winnable
                            "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

• agree.. maybe they were going with a tandem.. & since Ruck has looked shaky yet again.. would like to see Theut get a chance tomorrow.. he looked very poised against Notre Dame.
                              GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

• prob a little late for here.. but per US Hockey wire,00 D Jordan Harris (Kimball Union, /BJW), has committed to NU.
                                GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Working...
                                X