X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2016-17 -- Great Expectations

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
    (T)oo bad we couldnt get the darn 3rd in.. kids were playing much better than last night. goalie looked great as well.
    A goalie actually stopping a puck makes everyone look better. D was still awful...too many second chances that should not have been. Thought forwards played the same. ZAR, Gaudette and Sikura all looked very good. The rest...meh...none less than Collier and Pond.

BTW, what is it with Gaudette and his tunnel vision? Second period he breaks in with ZAR and Sikura...ZAR set up for one timer...Sikura flows in behind for a drop. Instead he shoots from high slot that Peterson swallows up. He needs to use his linemates.

On the PP, why bother have to have ZAR in the low slot when no one even attempts to give him the puck or shoot it for a tip?

Comment

Originally posted by Tilldog40 View Post
      I love Schule but somebody had made a comment that he falls down all the time. I was watching the game online and definitely noticed he does indeed fall all over the place. Gave me a good laugh, all in good fun.
      Schule or Pond?

Comment

Originally posted by Gr8Sk8M8 View Post
        ...BTW, what is it with Gaudette and his tunnel vision? Second period he breaks in with ZAR and Sikura...ZAR set up for one timer...Sikura flows in behind for a drop. Instead he shoots from high slot that Peterson swallows up. He needs to use his linemates...
        I've noticed the same thing and not just in this series. It's one of many reasons I find myself unexpectedly reaching for the panic button.
        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
          I've noticed the same thing and not just in this series. It's one of many reasons I find myself unexpectedly reaching for the panic button.
          I really hadn't noticed it all that much until the second BU game when NU's first PP unit scheme seemed to be him holding onto the puck until he shot it.

One of the people around me was apoplectic about it on Saturday.

Comment

So Johnny is back the weekend (probably), Kurker out until the New Year, same as Nolan. At least the start of that sentence is good news.

I have to agree with a lot of what has been said here. Finally the 8/9/12 line was put together, though maybe a game or two too late. They are the players that need to get on the ice more and more, and that just didn't happen. Gaudette does seem to have developed some tunnel vision, I noticed it this weekend more than others. Split N is very right about that. I also agree with GSM on Smith. Just not seeing the improvement needed or expected.

I reaffirm what I said about Theut. I wanna see him in net Friday night against PC.
            "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
              Finally the 8/9/12 line was put together, though maybe a game or two too late.
              To say that I was shocked when I was told ZAR was practicing with Collier/Pond and Schule for Friday's game would be an understatement.

You've lost three of your Top 6 (I'm including Kurker) and your response is to put your top scorer with a case of Lite Beer and a roll of tape?

Comment

Finishing this game just seems a little odd to me, will be interesting to see the decision. I think they will just call it a tie.

Comment

Copied from my post on DHD

Two things that are sticking out to me like sore thumbs are the absolute incompetence the team is showing at faceoffs and the apparent allergy some players have to shooting the puck on net.

For shots: We have played 10 games, and 4 players who have played every game have under 10 shots. Three of those players are forwards: Collier (9), Pond (8), and Lerario (2). In addition, Kurker has 4 SOG in 5 games, John Stevens has 6 SOG in 5. These are all key forwards who are not putting the puck on net, and that is an issue. The old adage of "put the puck on net and good things will happen" cannot come true if shots are not being taken. Of the 6 players with over 20 SOG, three are defensemen. That tells me that the offense isn't being driven via the forwards, again an indictment of our supposed "depth." Where is the offensive drive of Filipe, our new shiny toy drafted in round 3? Where are the dirty goals traditionally scored by a 4th line? throw a puck on net, scrum around a rebound, and bang it home. Seeing the 4th line out there is a guaranteed 45 seconds of puck chasing and cycling, with no hope for offense.

Faceoffs: They aren't good. We have one player who has won over 50% of his draws: John Stevens (58/113, or 51.34%). The next closest is ZAR, t 49.28% but only in 69 faceoffs. Gaudette is 46.44% (267 taken, by far the most). Pond is actually at 45.6% in 103 draws. Collier is atrocious. 37.41% in 139 draws. Losing faceoffs means not having the puck, and losing draws in the offensive zone means losing shot chances, and losing defensive zone draws means facing more shot attempts. I don't know who coaches faceoffs or how they work on them, or if the players themselves just aren't good at them, but between these 5 players they winning only 45.6% of draws. That just won't cut it against the better teams they play.
                  "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

I also noticed that with Gaudette for the first time this weekend. We need shooters desperately, but he doesn't even look around most of the time. Unfortunate development, but I guess that's what happens when you play with Dylan "Sniper who doesn't actually shoot the puck" Sikura and right wing combinations that included John Picking, Ryan Rosenthal, and Mike Jamieson.
                    Last edited by TheRevengeance; 11-14-2016, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Copied from my post on DHD

Two things that are sticking out to me like sore thumbs are the absolute incompetence the team is showing at faceoffs and the apparent allergy some players have to shooting the puck on net.
                      You make some good points. In my opinion, the only faceoffs that really count are in your D zone on the PK and I'd like to see those stats. ZAR, once again, had a HUGE faceoff win during the 5 on 3. Collier got picked clean several times during the PK. If you have an effective forecheck you should be able to overcome a faceoff loss in the offensive zone.

Part of the problem as to why faceoff losses are a bit more glaring with us is, first, the lack of a sustained forecheck and, secondly, especially on the PP, the inability of the Defense to get back to the weak side to stop either the breakout or the clear. Collier isn't a Centre at this level. He should be on the Wing. He is grossly out of position and has been since he's been here.

As for shooting, I agree wholeheartedly with one exception. JStevens is a set-up guy. He bangs, gains possession and dishes the puck. He's never been a shooter not here or in the USHL.

Comment

Originally posted by Gr8Sk8M8 View Post
                        You make some good points. In my opinion, the only faceoffs that really count are in your D zone on the PK and I'd like to see those stats. ZAR, once again, had a HUGE faceoff win during the 5 on 3. Collier got picked clean several times during the PK. If you have an effective forecheck you should be able to overcome a faceoff loss in the offensive zone.

Part of the problem as to why faceoff losses are a bit more glaring with us is, first, the lack of a sustained forecheck and, secondly, especially on the PP, the inability of the Defense to get back to the weak side to stop either the breakout or the clear. Collier isn't a Centre at this level. He should be on the Wing. He is grossly out of position and has been since he's been here.

As for shooting, I agree wholeheartedly with one exception. JStevens is a set-up guy. He bangs, gains possession and dishes the puck. He's never been a shooter not here or in the USHL.
                        Unfortunately I don't have the zone faceoff stats, I don't think those exist anywhere in the college hockey world. I got my numbers just by adding from the box score.

Stevens, while I acknowledge is not a shooter (that's more his brother), is still on pace to have his lowest, or second lowest, depending on rounding, shot total while at NU. He definitely is more the passer, but he's also one of the best players on the team and gets the ice time, so I'd want him to put it on net to at least start causing some pressure and rebounds for his teammates to work with
                        "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

Cayden Primeau has signed his NLI for next season
                          "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

Cayden Primeau has signed his NLI for next season
                            Thanks for the update. That is very good news

Comment

For as crappy a stat as +/- is, take a gander at this. We have 6 players who are positive in +/-. In order:
                              Griffin, Cecere, Gaudette, Sikura, Nolan, Filipe.

So, judging off that and applying that to this weekend, the top lines should be:

17-18-12
                              9-8-19

I'm seeing this as similar to when Szmatula was here and we debated super line with ZAR/Roy/Szmatula or space out the talent. And as we saw then, things went well when they were together. I am in this camp now. Talent needs to play with talent. We do not have an Eichel or Gaudreau or even a Roy that can carry a whole line. Talent needs to play with talent to produce and we can have 2 scoring threat lines and 2 checking/defense/chip in lines as we wait for Kurker/Nolan/Jozefek to return from injury.
                              "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

For as crappy a stat as +/- is, take a gander at this. We have 6 players who are positive in +/-. In order:
                                Griffin, Cecere, Gaudette, Sikura, Nolan, Filipe.

So, judging off that and applying that to this weekend, the top lines should be:

17-18-12
                                9-8-19

I'm seeing this as similar to when Szmatula was here and we debated super line with ZAR/Roy/Szmatula or space out the talent. And as we saw then, things went well when they were together. I am in this camp now. Talent needs to play with talent. We do not have an Eichel or Gaudreau or even a Roy that can carry a whole line. Talent needs to play with talent to produce and we can have 2 scoring threat lines and 2 checking/defense/chip in lines as we wait for Kurker/Nolan/Jozefek to return from injury.
                                The +/- stat is particularly useless this year, as statistician errors happen too often and are never corrected. Case in point: In the first game of the year, the statistician had Owens and Schechter on the ice for the second Quinnipiac goal instead of Williams and Gaudette. The funny part is that you can actually see Williams and Gaudette as the two Huskies closest to the puck when the goal goes in on the highlights (it was Williams' man who pounded home the rebound). Yet, the errors are never corrected and no, it doesn't even out over the course of the season. See for yourself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvslN_EQQes

Comment

Working...
                                X