X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2016-17 -- Great Expectations

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
    Cockerill had position on Puffer, got torched, and Ruck gave up a softie. Really bad sequence, but pretty typical for Cockerill today. Frustrating game, scored two highlight reel goals on the first three shots and then Lekkas was solid, and made an unbelievable save point-black on Williams halfway through the 3rd. .
    I agree that Lekkas played well, but a review of the game tape will show that we missed some terrific setups (Collier from Kurker as an example). Some games are like that! Also Lekkas' save on Williams was as bit of showboating on the goalie's part. The puck was shot directly into his glove and would have missed the net. After he had the puck, then he moved his glove and tumbled forward and rolled around.
    I thought the game was full of exciting plays by both teams, and I was mentally prepared for a tie when Ruck gave up the winner. Our next 8 games are against ranked HEA opponents. We should all send get well cards to the Steven brothers!

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
      So what, exactly, is an "upper body injury?" Seems to me that could include anything from a clogged hair follicle to a swollen belly button and all manner or fractures, sprains, strains, contusions, dislocations, and lacerations in between. Is there something in HIPAA that prohibits getting any more specific? Honest question.
      The head was not involved...so...between his naval and his neck...he is no longer on campus...that should help you out a bit...

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
        Mistyped that, meant to say the second sounded like a scrum goal. Saw the third, definitely was a soft 5 hole.
        I thought that all three goals were soft. I stated yesterday, pregame, that Ruck and the Defense *cough*CockerillOwens*cough* had to step up. They all failed miserably. Yes, Ruck made some saves but he did not save the ones that he should have saved. On two of those goals he was just too deep in the net. He's left out to dry far too often by D, upperclassmen at that, who don't understand the concept of gap control. Were I MadDog, I'd take a long hard look at Jason Smith and maybe spell him a bit. His pedigree for D1 hockey is laughable and it is in games such as yesterday where that liability rears its ugly head.

I would not have had Cockerill on the ice for the 6 on 5...he wouldn't know a passing lane if it threw a birthday party with 4th of July fireworks...the way he gave away the puck at the end? Come on...

Comment

Originally posted by RossiRules View Post
          Ok We have perhaps 2 or 3 of the most talented players in the league in ZAR, Sikura and A.G. but they are playing like this is Mite hockey, trying to go end to end. I smell a typical NU HE start. Without one Stevens brother we will struggle but missing both for the 1st time since 2013 is hurting in a big way. Not sure how long they will be out but some of the kids called up were not ready for prime time tonight and Cockerill got burnt more than all of the voters in MA who are voting "Yes on 4!" this Tuesday.
          I thought that ZAR tried very hard to get the puck to his linemates and that he kept his game relatively simple. He seemed to be chasing the puck at times but I really thought that Filipe would step up his physical game and was a bit disappointed that he didn't.

It's very easy to second guess losses but I really believe a lot of this loss is behind the bench. When you're down players you cannot set lines and then ride them. Later in 3rd he did start to mix a bit but I would have done that from the start - third shift throw Gaudette between ZAR and Flipe...throw ZAR on the wing with Gaudette and Sikura...put Gaudette on the wing with Collier and Kurker...move Sikura up with ZAR and Griffin...every third or fourth shift throw a mix and match out there and try to throw the other coach off balance. As it was, Snedden was able to match his lines and that was that. When your bench is different your approach to the game has to be different.
          Last edited by Gr8Sk8M8; 10-31-2016, 08:11 AM.

Comment

I don't know how you saw JM "riding lines", it was names out of a hat all night. Jozy was listed as the wing with 8 and 9 and I think he had 4 or 5 shifts with them all game. Pond was the only guy winning faceoffs so he was up and down the lineup. At one point it was Pond, Collier and ZAR. Lerario was also rotated pretty freely. Again I understand what JM was doing, but I thought the lack of consistency led to some sloppy play. Can't wait to get guys back so Jamieson and Rosenthal don't have to play.
            2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
            2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
              I don't know how you saw JM "riding lines", it was names out of a hat all night. Jozy was listed as the wing with 8 and 9 and I think he had 4 or 5 shifts with them all game. Pond was the only guy winning faceoffs so he was up and down the lineup. At one point it was Pond, Collier and ZAR. Lerario was also rotated pretty freely. Again I understand what JM was doing, but I thought the lack of consistency led to some sloppy play. Can't wait to get guys back so Jamieson and Rosenthal don't have to play.
              The changes that you are referring to were made, as I stated, in the 3rd period. It should have been done, as I stated, from the start of the game.

Jozifek had a rough game, for sure. He's unsure of his speed when he's challenging a puck carrier so, instead of skating through to the puck and trying to make a play, he slows and uses his stick to close that gap.

Both ZAR and AG were over 50% and the % would have been higher had they had any wing support. If you draw the puck back or, even, keep the opposing Center from getting to the puck then you should be able to gain possession *cough*griffinjozifek*cough*. That lack of wing support has been happening all season, btw, and not just with those two. ZAR won a HUGE third period faceoff against Ross Colton when Snedden had put Colton out there with Forgione to take the faceoff. Collier had a very rough game on the dot.

By and large, I thought that the forwards played well but put everything into the goalie rather than the goal. I thought that Ruck made some brilliant saves but, sadly, let in some less than brilliant goals.

Comment

Originally posted by Gr8Sk8M8 View Post
                The head was not involved...so...between his naval and his neck...he is no longer on campus...that should help you out a bit...
                Gr8Sk8M8
                Your knowledge of the sport and game strategies are interesting and helpful. We are all here to exchange information about our team. I would like to explain that I am not here to play "Clue" or be a detective. If you know what happened to Nolan, please stop being coy and share it with us so that we may all have a better understanding of what occurred. Thanks

Comment

What I heard is that he has gone back home and probably will need surgery to deal with whatever injury he has. Based on that and only that, I would not expect Nolan to return any time soon.

Comment

Not that any of us know his motivations, but why would you go home for surgery/rehab? We're in one of the best medical cities in the world and his brother and teammates would be here with him while his father is off being an NHL coach. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
                    Last edited by TheRevengeance; 10-31-2016, 02:06 PM.

Comment

In other news, He Who Shall Not be Named scored two goals in the last 90 seconds of Saturday's game to enable Minnesota to salvage a tie against St Lawrence.
                      Last edited by Split-N; 10-31-2016, 04:22 PM.
                      "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

• Originally posted by scorer View Post
                        What I heard is that he has gone back home and probably will need surgery to deal with whatever injury he has. Based on that and only that, I would not expect Nolan to return any time soon.
                        Any update on John?
                        2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
                        2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

• Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
                          Any update on John?
                          Rehabing his tail off trying to make it back this weekend...

Comment

• Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
                            Not that any of us know his motivations, but why would you go home for surgery/rehab? We're in one of the best medical cities in the world and his brother and teammates would be here with him while his father is off being an NHL coach. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
                            From what I understand the Kings' ortho handled the surgery...he could be back on campus tomorrow or Wednesday...
                            Last edited by Gr8Sk8M8; 10-31-2016, 08:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by HHound View Post
                              Gr8Sk8M8
                              Your knowledge of the sport and game strategies are interesting and helpful. We are all here to exchange information about our team. I would like to explain that I am not here to play "Clue" or be a detective. If you know what happened to Nolan, please stop being coy and share it with us so that we may all have a better understanding of what occurred. Thanks
                              I'm not being coy...the specific injury never gets discussed in public you should know this...he injured himself in practice when he fell awkwardly and dislocated something severe enough that he needs surgery to repair it...

Comment

• Originally posted by Gr8Sk8M8 View Post
                                From what I understand the Kings' ortho handled the surgery...he could be back on campus tomorrow or Wednesday...
                                Your information is correct. I hope he waits to come back to school until the anesthesia wears off. If it's a subluxation or something of that nature, we'll be fortunate to get him back in January. We will soon find out how much depth we have. Hopefully Pecararo will help when he arrives in late December.

Comment

Working...
                                X