Elmira Names Assistant Kelsea Martalock as Head Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elmira Names Assistant Kelsea Martalock as Head Coach

Elmira names last year's assistant Kelsea Martalock as the new head coach. She spent one year one the bench as the assistant at Elmira prior to taking over for Dean Jackson who as we know left for Penn State. She also served as an assistant at St. Norbert prior to that.

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
    Elmira names last year's assistant Kelsea Martalock as the new head coach. She spent one year one the bench as the assistant at Elmira prior to taking over for Dean Jackson who as we know left for Penn State. She also served as an assistant at St. Norbert prior to that.
    They have a pattern of hiring from within although this will break away from hiring one of the men's assistant coaches like they did the last two times. Not sure this is a strong hire. The team will be physically strong looking at her background.

Comment

Re: Elmira Names Assistant Kelsea Martalock as Head Coach

Anyone know how Elmira did in their exhibition game this past weekend?

Comment

They also hired Jordin Pardoski as an assistant coach. Pardoski was a captain at Penn State and graduated this past spring. Elmira alum Lisa Marshall and former Elmira head coach Dean Jackson are now at Penn State, and Penn State's Jordin Pardoski is now at Elmira. Pardoski's first game behind the bench with Elmira is November 4th against Neumann, whose head coach is Gina (Kearns) McLaughlin, Pardoski's former assistant coach at Penn State - the small world of women's hockey.
        Last edited by ZedLeppelin; 10-31-2016, 10:19 AM.

Comment

I have a feeling this might be a bit of a different season for Elmira with more losses than they are normally used to....just a hunch.

Comment

So is Jordin Pardoski the acting Head Coach at Elmira? Hasn't seemed to affect the team too much yet.... Of course, it's been Neumann and Chatham so far...
            Steve
            Penn State Class of '95
            Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
              So is Jordin Pardoski the acting Head Coach at Elmira? Hasn't seemed to affect the team too much yet.... Of course, it's been Neumann and Chatham so far...
              Short of somehow poaching a HC from somewhere midseason (I would say impossible but I thought Martalock lasting 2 games was impossible), I don't think they have much of a choice but to go with Pardoski for this year and try again next offseason with more time to find a good candidate (Who knows? Pardoski could be it).

I think this road weekend against 4-1-1 Buffalo State followed by hosting Norwich on December 3rd will be a good indicator of where they are. This is a team that only lost to 4 teams all of last year, 3 of which played in the NCAA tournament last year (Adrian, UWRF and Plattsburgh) and the other was Utica. No one would cheer a bad Elmira season more than a Plattsburgh homer like me but I don't think they're done even with these setbacks. (Not that you're saying they're done, but I've seen others predict a bad season).
              Last edited by Scott_TG; 11-14-2016, 04:17 PM. Reason: poaching, not coaching

Comment

Jenny Potter could go there and take over. The less restrictive recruiting rules at the D3 level are probably more her speed. Or how about Shannon Miller?! Nate Handrahan?! Maybe Scott McDonald should apply so he can get back to winning some games! Anyone else?!
                Last edited by shelfit; 11-14-2016, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                  Jenny Potter could go there and take over. The less restrictive recruiting rules at the D3 level are probably more her speed. Or how about Shannon Miller?! Nate Handrahan?! Maybe Scott McDonald should apply so he can get back to winning some games! Anyone else?!
                  Uhh..... no. Potter did D3 at Trinity - she was successful there and has moved on. Don't think a D3 school would be likely to hire a former D1 coach with a recruiting violation history so bad she got fired for it. Miller on the other hand....hmmmm...... :-)

Comment

Just on the news ... the asst men's coach has been named interim head coach for the women.

Comment

Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
                      Just on the news ... the asst men's coach has been named interim head coach for the women.
                      Predictable move as they have done this a couple of times previously if I'm not mistaken. I believe both Jackson and Fargo were Elmira men's hockey assistant coaches prior to taking over head coaching duties for the women's team. Just googled and found this story which confirms Tim Crowley as the new interim women's coach (in the written story, not the video part):

http://www.mytwintiers.com/sports/local-sports/kelsea-martalock-no-longer-elmira-college-womens-hockey-coach

Comment

Originally posted by elbojpb View Post
                        That makes sense... I remember watching Jordin playing in college just last year I think!!!

I agree with Scott that Elmira will figure it out. There's way too much talent there. I, however, would not revel in them dropping. I love the competitive games!
                        Steve
                        Penn State Class of '95
                        Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

That makes sense... I remember watching Jordin playing in college just last year I think!!!

I agree with Scott that Elmira will figure it out. There's way too much talent there. I, however, would not revel in them dropping. I love the competitive games!
                          After watching almost all of the other ECAC West teams play over the last couple of weeks, Elmira will not drop off at all now that they have a more experienced coach in place. They have too much talent and tbe other teams in their conference just don't have enough talent except for Plattsburgh of course. Now that they have someone with more than a year of volunteer coaching to run the show I wouldn't be surprised to see them knock off Plattsburgh this year.

Comment

Interesting to note how there is no official announcement on Elmira's website about the coaching change. They probably don't want to draw attention to or even acknowledge what happened with the young female coach crossing the line with a player on the team, if that is what happened as an earlier post indicated. Gives the impression of a very controlled environment and the sense that the AD rules things there in a very controlling manner. Also interesting to note this is now the 3rd men's team assistant coach they've given the head women's coaching job to and none of them had any previous experience in women's hockey and none as a head coach either for that matter. Not that anyone will fail to win as the coach of this team but it's hard to believe a female AD treats the women's hockey program this way. It's very convenient and easy to hire this way I suppose. Does the men's coach even have a say in whether or not he wants to give up his assistant coach? Very doubtful.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                              Interesting to note how there is no official announcement on Elmira's website about the coaching change. They probably don't want to draw attention to or even acknowledge what happened with the young female coach crossing the line with a player on the team, if that is what happened as an earlier post indicated. Gives the impression of a very controlled environment and the sense that the AD rules things there in a very controlling manner. Also interesting to note this is now the 3rd men's team assistant coach they've given the head women's coaching job to and none of them had any previous experience in women's hockey and none as a head coach either for that matter. Not that anyone will fail to win as the coach of this team but it's hard to believe a female AD treats the women's hockey program this way. It's very convenient and easy to hire this way I suppose. Does the men's coach even have a say in whether or not he wants to give up his assistant coach? Very doubtful.
                              Keep in mind Kevin Houle (Plattsburgh) was the men's assistant coach !

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Working...
                              X