Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2016-2017

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
    I'm with blackbeard on this one. That Red Army team passed so fast and so accurately that their one-timers were deadly. I often wonder how many saves Tretiak (to my mind the best there was at the time) would have made against them. Not well I believe. Team Canada did manage to beat them but it was took them a while ti figure out how to disrupt the passes and reduce the 'tic-tac-toe to where a human goalie could stand a chance.
    I remember how shocked we were when the Soviets won the first game 7-3. Their speed and passing was unbelievable. The second game with Mahovlich, Cashman, Bergman and Co. hitting everything that moved slowed the Soviets down and Canada won 4-1. Esposito replacing 1st game goalie Dryden outplayed Tretiak, too.
    "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie44 View Post
      The culture appears to be Kassidy Sauve for now. Still a bit of a talent gap.
      Sauve culture on hiatus tonight showing just a wee bit of a talent gap...
      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

It was definitely not Kassidy's best night, and in talking to her after the game, she knew it. Kassidy wasn't the only one to have an off night. The girls knew they didn't play their best. They had played so well this season to this point, they were sort of due to have a game like this. I told some of the girls after the game that every team has one like this every once in a while. They will be back ready to go tomorrow. For tonight, let's give some credit to the 3rd-ranked Bulldogs. Ohio State was off their game tonight, and the Bulldogs ended this one early with four goals in the first period. The Bulldogs just smothered the Bucks all night and did not allow many quality scoring chances. UMD would add single tallies in the second and third periods to make the final score 6-0. The SOG were 41-27 in favor of Minnesota-Duluth. Goaltenders Maddie Rooney and Catherine Johnson combined for the shutout for the Bulldogs. Rooney had 20 saves and Johnson had 7. For the Buckeyes, Kassidy Sauve stopped 15 of the 19 shots she faced in the first period. She was relieved by freshman netminder Kaylee Remington who saved 20 of the 22 shots she faced. UMD's goals were scored by Lara Stalder, Sydney Brodt (2), Katherine McGovern (2), and Brooklyn Schugel. The two teams are back at it tomorrow at 1:07 pm EST. I am going to copy this from the recap for the UMD fans or other fans going tomorrow ...

A reminder to fans planning on attending the game: you will need to park in a day-of-game lot for a $20 fee due to the home football game. A parking map can be found here: http://go.osu.edu/Parking.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
          Sauve culture on hiatus tonight showing just a wee bit of a talent gap...
          Coming from you, this is good natured ribbing. But the "literal" truth:

Regarding the Talent Gap, the best response is: Of course.

But the "One Woman Team" thing simply isn't true, literally or figuratively. Last weekend the Buckeyes played well as a team, despite coming up just short. Last night, they played poorly as a team.

Nice accomplishments by the Bulldogs last night. For further details, see the 3 Stars post on the WCHA thread.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
            Coming from you, this is good natured ribbing. But the "literal" truth:

Regarding the Talent Gap, the best response is: Of course.

But the "One Woman Team" thing simply isn't true, literally or figuratively. Last weekend the Buckeyes played well as a team, despite coming up just short. Last night, they played poorly as a team.

Nice accomplishments by the Bulldogs last night. For further details, see the 3 Stars post on the WCHA thread.
            Glad you got that it was good natured ribbing. Ohio States has some talent and given some time under Muzerall the program will get better.
            At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

I only watched the first period of today's game against UMD. But it looks like the Buckeyes came back and made some noise in the third period. Outshot the Bulldogs 17-8 and came within 3-2.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                I only watched the first period of today's game against UMD. But it looks like the Buckeyes came back and made some noise in the third period. Outshot the Bulldogs 17-8 and came within 3-2.
                Ya they kept fighting. Once again they kind of had to weather a storm of shots, but they actually managed to generate a few good stretches of offense in the 3rd. Definitely a lot of work to be done, but after last night what I saw today was pretty encouraging.
                Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
                University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

THe Bucks played much better today. After a scoreless first period, the Bulldogs got two goals in the second period from Maria Lindh and Ashleigh Brykaliuk and took that 2-0 lead into the third period. Ohio State would get a goal from Maddy Field to cut the lead in half, but UMD would come back with a goal from Sidney Morin to push the lead back out to 3-1. Sidney's goal would turn out to be the game-winner as Samantha Bouley would score for the Buckeyes to cut the lead to 3-2. The Buckeyes could not get the equalizer and that is how it ended. SOG favored Minnesota-Duluth 47-27. Buckeye goaltender Kassidy Sauve stopped 44 of the 47 shots she faced. For the Bulldogs, Maddie Rooney stopped 25 of the 27 shots she faced. The Buckeyes will host Lindenwood next weekend.

Comment

Once again, the 3 Stars are out on "The Morning After." Among other things, there's a compelling World Series going on. See the WCHA thread.

Comment

The Buckeyes are getting a break from the WCHA schedule and are taking on the Lindenwood Lions this weekend. The Buckeyes got off to a slow start tonight, but finished well with a 4-0 win. Sophomore forward Maddy Field opened the scoring for the Buckeyes. The other OSU goals were scored by sophomore forward Ariana DePinto, freshman defenseman Katie Mikkelsen (first goal as a Buckeye), and junior forward Julianna Iafallo got an empty netter. The Bucks won the shots on goal battle 34-32. RS-sophomore netminder Kassidy Sauve stopped all 32 shots she faced. Lindenwood goaltender Jolene deBruyn earned 30 saves for the Lions. The two teams are back at it tomorrow at 2:07 pm EST. Due to a home football game tomorrow, those who are attending the game will need to park in day-of-game lots for a $20 fee. Good luck to both teams tomorrow!

Comment

Unfortunately I was watching the debacle over at the Schott so I missed tonight's game. Looking forward to tomorrow and hopefully a sweep. Winning the shots on goal battle for a change is really nice to see. Let's face it, Lindenwood isn't great, but getting experience and getting comfortable with the puck in the offensive zone can only help as we move back into that WCHA schedule.
                        Last edited by Buckeye22; 11-04-2016, 11:59 PM.
                        Frozen Four: 1998, 2018

NCAA Tournament: 1998, 1999, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2009, 2017, 2018, 2019

The Ohio State University '18
                        University of Western Ontario '19

Comment

I was surprised to see Sauve in net to-night, thought it would be a good opportunity for other girls to play. Lindenwood is better than some people give them credit for, nice to see OSU in the win column with scoring being spread out.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye22 View Post
                            Unfortunately I was watching the debacle over at the Schott so I missed tonight's game.
                            Likewise.

For that reason, No 3 Stars Post for the Friday game. Will be back to Star Gazing on Saturday.

Comment

Ohio State finishes the sweep today over Lindenwood by a final score of 3-0. Sophomore defenseman Lauren Boyle scored all three of the Buckeyes' goals to record her first career hat trick as a Buckeye! RS-sophomore Kassidy Sauve stopped all 25 shots she faced from Lindenwood. The Buckeyes won the SOG battle 26-25. Morgan Skinner started the game in net for the Lions and saved 5 of the 7 shots she faced, but was pulled toward the end of the first period. Jolene deBruyn came in and stopped all 16 shots she faced. Lauren Boyle's final goal was an empty netter. Next up for Ohio State will be a trip to St. Cloud to take on the Huskies.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                                Sophomore defenseman Lauren Boyle scored all three of the Buckeyes' goals to record her first career hat trick as a Buckeye!
                                Wow, a defenseman scoring all three of a team's goals in a shutout win is quite the accomplishment for a player at any level, let alone D1. Congrats to Miss Boyle.
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X