Colgate 2016-17 A New Beginning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colgate 2016-17 A New Beginning

With the new rink and the Spink bros legacy gone it feels kind of like we're starting from the beginning again. Last year was a disaster, we again will be very young, laden with frosh and sophs. With ten recruits bodies won't be a problem this year but where will the scoring come from. Goaltending should be strong with Finn and six four draft pick Colton Point pressuring for the starting nod. Let's get this started, the new rink is absolutely beautiful, was there yesterday for the girls exhibition.
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Last year was a big disappointed and it really sucked the way they lost at Dartmouth. I was really hoping to see them move on to the next week even if they were to get shut out there.

The biggest question this years has to evolve around the goaltender. Finn has regressed since winning over the job as a freshman. He wasn't even a top 50 goalie last year and it cost us. Now we have Colton Point coming in who moved up a year. Do you think DV would put him in net against Army to start the new year? I can't imagine he would put him in net the next week against BU for his first game.

This year we do not have much expectations as we are projected around 10/11 in the league, if Point can adjust to the college game and gets the starts early we may see a team finish in the top 8, otherwise look for something similar to last year. Obviously we will need some guys to step up and start scoring as well. I'll have my eye on Dauda and Pano early to see if they can spark the Offense.

Comment

Re: Colgate 2016-17 A New Beginning

Happy to see that Joey Mormina is an Asst. Coach with Mercyhurst. Good for him! Also happy to see that Mike Borkowski is with the Detroit organization and the Spinks with the Nashville organization. Best of luck to all!!!
      The word on the street is that the freshmen are really good and the team chemistry is great......and the new facility is "lights out." As Shabby said - it's a new beginning. I truly believe we will surprise a LOT of people. Can't wait for Saturday!! GO 'GATE!!!

Comment

Just checking in. Great to have the new thread going, Shabby. Looking forward to the big weekend and the dedication of "our" arena.
        COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Looking forward to seeing Bobby McMann who was MVP of the AJHL last year with thirty six goals.

Comment

Also checking in for the 2016-17 season, with my 2,222nd post on this forum. Until 2 days ago (when this thread was started), I was a bit concerned that some of the other posters were trying to hold onto Starr as long as possible. Yes, we have history in that building, but it's time to welcome our new home with open arms.

Last year was an unmitigated disaster, there's no sugarcoating it. We suffered from lack of depth all season because apparently we only chose to recruit the same number of bodies that joined the team in 2011. This year, I believe we have 9 incoming freshmen while losing only 5. However, all the five players lost to graduation cannot be replaced overnight. One of them (Kevin Lough) was a regular on defense, while the other 4 were our top 4 scorers from last season. We have significant question marks on offense going into the season. Similar to the start of the 2012-13 season, this will probably be "goal scoring by committee". On defense, we should be much improved. Last season we only had 7 defensemen on the roster, 3 of them freshmen that regularly saw playing time. This season we return 6 of those blueliners, and welcome 3 more to the group - for a total of nine! We should be a much better team defensively than last season.

At the goaltender position, we return Charlie Finn. Yes, there are posters that think he's regressed since his freshman campaign in 2013-14, but the defense we had in front of him last year hung him out to dry at times. Also, we bring in Dallas Stars draft pick Colton Point, who will certainly push Finn for playing time (and hopefully keep him sharp). I think both goaltenders will see some regular playing time this season, but come February, one of them will claim the starting job. This will prepare Point to (hopefully) be the regular starter from 2017-2020.

Lastly, we were picked ELEVENTH in the coaches poll, just ONE point ahead of Princeton????? That's almost last place! I can't see us finishing THAT low, but there will most likely be some growing pains in October and November. I'm confident the new rink will give us some sort of home-ice advantage. Every team in the ECAC has question marks, it's a matter of how each team addresses them. I was fortunate enough to snag a ticket for Saturday's historic event, and I am beyond excited to see our new home for Colgate hockey. Go 'Gate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            Colgate '09

Comment

Originally posted by Rainman View Post
              Lastly, we were picked ELEVENTH in the coaches poll, just ONE point ahead of Princeton????? That's almost last place! I can't see us finishing THAT low, but there will most likely be some growing pains in October and November.
              To be fair, it's not very often in the preseason poll that a team will stray more than 2 spots away from where they finished the previous year.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                To be fair, it's not very often in the preseason poll that a team will stray more than 2 spots away from where they finished the previous year.
                Do you think the first uscho poll is similar in this logic? 3/4 in the frozen four last year in the top 4 and BC the one team that isn't is 5th. Some of these teams had a lot of losses to graduation and pro signings. I was hard pressed not to believe BU was not number one with four first round draft picks and one second round pick. That is an insane amount of talent going there with the numerous different leagues players can choose from up north or in Europe. Usually if a team gets one in the first two rounds it is solid but they pulled in a crazy class. I met one of their top recruiters and *** coach at the Frozen Four in Boston (Albie) he talked to me for awhile about college hockey in general, great guy. I'm not surprised at all he is able to get top talent to BU.

Back to Colgate, Army was picked to finish 4th in the AH and I believe was tied at 41 with Colgate in the PWR at the end of the year so this is no walk in the park opener.

Comment

uscho has BC 5th yet in the HE Coaches Poll they’re 6th. No Polls till February
                  Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Thanks for the new thread, Shabby. Hoping to visit the new rink sometime early in the new year!

Comment

Nice thread and title, shabby. Bought season tix for the first time...Seat #13!

Rare to have a frosh goalie take over the reigns from a senior at 'Gate, but why else bring him in a year early? There are freshmen who make immediate impacts in other leagues. I say go for it and see how he does in the non-league schedule. Not usually a believer of home advantage, but here's hoping we have some added juice to beat Army in our new digs!
                      C O L G A T E
                      2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                      1990 NCAA FINALS
                      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                      ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                      ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

I think you bring in the goalie so that when Finn leaves he already has a year under his belt. It is Finns job to lose I think, but it could easily go to Point.

Comment

Shabby, see you Saturday. Assume you're making a full day of it? Nice title for the string, looking forward to the season!

Comment

Going to be a long day, good thing I'm a pro.

Comment

Saturday is going to be pretty happening in Hamilton, to say the least! Looking forward to exploring the new rink. For any who have gained a tour or attended the women's exhibition game...wondering how the sight lines are compared to Starr?

We always enjoyed sitting in Section 3, close to the bench and the side that 'Gate shoots twice. I liked how at Starr, the first row was up on the glass, but you were still elevated and could catch the play (and many pucks at times) without being blocked too low.

My plan for '65 is to try and be 4 rows up to get that view I liked at Starr. I've attended games at RIT, who have a beautiful rink but when your seats are on the ice, you miss a lot. We'll be section 12 Saturday. With the new Student Section end cap, I'm hoping to equally be entertained by an energetic group.

Comment

Working...
                              X