Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2016-17 A New Beginning

Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
    interesting to watch the progression of Ron Fogarty's team down in Princeton, NJ...a win last night against Q-Pac capped off a nice streak for the Tigers: two road wins at then #10-ranked Bemidji, a home loss to Union, a home win against RPI, and last night's big win against Rand Pecknold's Bobcats...it has taken some time, but Fogarty and Dexter look like their turning this weak program around...
    Not to take anything away from the Tigers, but QU has lost three out of their last four games: to Vermont, 5-1 in Ireland; to Union, 5-2 and now Princeton, 5-3. We will see what they do tonight in a return match with the Tigers in Hamden. Bobcats seem to be going through a rough patch.
    COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

this is not ***-for-tat by any means, but I've been watching the progress at Princeton (slow at times) and very interested in discerning the decision of Brad Dexter to leave Colgate for the head assistant job at Princeton...I have no answers, but I do know this...they are getting there and getting there with an edge, an edge preached by their coach...I root for them because they've been a basement dweller for many years AND because the program is now run by two Colgate guys...a weekend sweep in Q-Pac's barn is nothing to sneeze at and, to be honest, their progression is on a much better path than my alma mater's is at the moment...just thinking here...

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
        this is not ***-for-tat by any means, but I've been watching the progress at Princeton (slow at times) and very interested in discerning the decision of Brad Dexter to leave Colgate for the head assistant job at Princeton...I have no answers, but I do know this...they are getting there and getting there with an edge, an edge preached by their coach...I root for them because they've been a basement dweller for many years AND because the program is now run by two Colgate guys...a weekend sweep in Q-Pac's barn is nothing to sneeze at and, to be honest, their progression is on a much better path than my alma mater's is at the moment...just thinking here...
        Ran into Brad & family at 7 Oaks when Princeton was in town. He thought the Tigers & Raiders were at a very similar stage, young but with talent on the way. Thought both teams would be very good in a couple of years. If they're getting ahead of schedule a little bit, good for them... as you say got to root for the Gate guys! As to why Brad left for Princeton, he & Fogarty are old friends, played together, thought it would be a great challenge to turn the Tigers program around. I won't get the words exactly right, but he said "I knew it would be tough turning this around, but didn't realize quite how tough it would be living through it!" A very good guy and happy to see success coming his way.

Comment

Only went back 5 years, but our record against ranked teams is 21-33-8; our last win was against #17 RPI last February (we've only beaten 2 other teams in the last 2 years, including Robert Morris and St. Cloud). Princeton should have beaten us in Hamilton and played like a ranked team, but we were resilient and our goalie stole the show. Hopefully Harvard and Cornell will wear them down a bit before our tilt at Hobey Baker on Jan. 14. Even a struggling (?) Qpac team looks dangerous; not the case with the Raiders.
          C O L G A T E
          2023 ECAC CHAMPION
          1990 NCAA FINALS
          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
          ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
          ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

thanks to both TchrBill and Gate83 for your good input here...and praying Brad is right; at 66 I'm not getting any younger and with the Browns at 0-13 I'm running out of options...

Comment

For pete's sake, we have nine frosh and five sophomores playing, what did you expect this year, maybe ECAC champs? We are starting over, it's going to take a couple of years, we lost so much talent the last two years. We have some good frosh who are learning the system and I'll bet we see some wins second half. At 4-9-4 one goal losses to Cornell,Providence and Arizona State, turn those around and we're 7-6-4 and everybodies happy. Also it was 0-0 with two mins left at Dartmouth before we lost 2-0.
              We are not a good team, but we're better than our record shows. Take what we get this year, hope for improvement, next years recruits are supposed to be very good and the kids will have some experience, In 2018 our third year of recruiting in the new rink, Lake Placid should be a realistic goal.
              We need more scoring, Kulevich is our leading scorer, when was the last time a defenseman was our leading scorer?
              Last edited by sshablak; 12-12-2016, 10:49 AM.
              It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                For pete's sake, we have nine frosh and five sophomores playing, what did you expect this year, maybe ECAC champs? We are starting over, it's going to take a couple of years, we lost so much talent the last two years. We have some good frosh who are learning the system and I'll bet we see some wins second half. At 4-9-4 one goal losses to Cornell,Providence and Arizona State, turn those around and we're 7-6-4 and everybodies happy. Also it was 0-0 with two mins left at Dartmouth before we lost 2-0.
                We are not a good team, but we're better than our record shows. Take what we get this year, hope for improvement, next years recruits are supposed to be very good and the kids will have some experience, In 2018 our third year of recruiting in the new rink, Lake Placid should be a realistic goal.
                We need more scoring, Kulevich is our leading scorer, when was the last time a defenseman was our leading scorer?
                +1 Attaboy Shabby!

Comment

No easy games at the end of this month. Lowell is 7th in the PWR with a 10-5-3 record. Dartmouth is 24th and Army 32nd in the PWR, while we are 44th. Playing in Thomson Arena won't make things any easier.

FWIW: Princeton is the "Team of the Week" per USCHO having won 6 of their last 7 games. Looks like Ron Fogarty has been successful in turning things around.

Comment

Attaboy skate, at least someones paying attention. Dexter is a very good recruiter also, wish we still had him.

Comment

Slightly off-topic: Did you see the hit Eakin put on Lundqvist last night? Watch out Stars next Thursday night. Hope Finn or Point never have to deal with a cheap hit like that.

Bump.

Comment

Originally posted by ColSkate65 View Post
                        Slightly off-topic: Did you see the hit Eakin put on Lundqvist last night? Watch out Stars next Thursday night. Hope Finn or Point never have to deal with a cheap hit like that.

Bump.
                        Four game suspension for Eakin, about what I figured.

Bump.

Comment

It's time to reset the clock, and just try to get to 500. If the team can do that I think it will be a decent season (not the one you hope for opening a new barn) but we'll take it. Let's not forget that we have played both a hockey east and ECAC schedule with very few easy teams. I have confidence in this freshman class (cockrell and McMann) in particular. Go 'gate

Comment

Merry Vestivus to all. Here's to the 2017 season and perhaps a better record in the new year!

Comment

Snowing to beat the band in CNY today. Hope the team leaves early for Hanover. Could be hairy driving between Hammy and Dartmouth with Winter Storm Fortis in the NE.

Comment

I would imagine they left yest. Wonder if it's being streamed ?

Comment

Working...
                                X