Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

S.t.F.U. - Simon Fraser Univ is Going D-I (and other rumors of the week...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S.t.F.U. - Simon Fraser Univ is Going D-I (and other rumors of the week...)

http://www.uscho.com/2016/09/21/simo...sion-i-lineup/

Quite honestly I give SFU a way better chance of making this happen than any current US club team. Talking about adding NCAA D-I hockey in Canada would be like your US based school talking about adding a D-I football or basketball program. Canada has the culture to support this move which makes most aspects of the addition way easier than trying to fund a new fringe sport (which is sadly what hockey is) at a US institution of higher learning.

Ryan J
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Re: S.t.F.U. - Simon Fraser Univ is Going D-I (and other rumors of the week...)

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    http://www.uscho.com/2016/09/21/simo...sion-i-lineup/

Quite honestly I give SFU a way better chance of making this happen than any current US club team. Talking about adding NCAA D-I hockey in Canada would be like your US based school talking about adding a D-I football or basketball program. Canada has the culture to support this move which makes most aspects of the addition way easier than trying to fund a new fringe sport (which is sadly what hockey is) at a US institution of higher learning.

Ryan J
    Not sure about that, given how situated Major Junior is in Canada, combined with the associated eligibility requirements. It would still be a "fringe sport"; major junior would squash the NCAA cockroach easily.

Comment

They can't go D-I. They can go D-II and then petition to play for the D-I title. However they would be D-II in all sports.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          They can't go D-I. They can go D-II and then petition to play for the D-I title. However they would be D-II in all sports.
          They already are DII in other sports. They are a full member of the GNAC, which includes UAF and UAA.

This could be a coup for the WCHA if it ever comes to fruition (and the WCHA still exists after the next realignment wave). Assuming SFU went to the WCHA, it gets the conference into a hockey-crazy NHL city in the middle of a fertile recruiting ground. In many respects it would be better than picking up ASU.

I know, travel costs money, blah blah blah. Look at the big picture.
          “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
            It would still be a "fringe sport"; major junior would squash the NCAA cockroach easily.
            Based on the number of Canadians that currently come to the US to play NCAA hockey, I would have to disagree with this statement. Get a scholly playing D-I hockey and you get to stay home in Canada. I have to think that would appeal to a fair number of kids that take their future after hockey more seriously than their NHL prospects. Major Junior is for the kids whose "advisors" have convinced them they are the next NHL superstar if they just play more and focus less on school. The NCAA is the opposite - try to get a degree for next to nothing and maybe you can play pro hockey some day as well if you practice. For all we know, there may be US kids that want to get the heck away from Mom and Dad and would go North of the border to play D-I hockey. Sometimes kids just want to do something different even if it doesn't make any sense in the present light. See ASU Hockey...
            Ryan J

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
              Based on the number of Canadians that currently come to the US to play NCAA hockey, I would have to disagree with this statement. Get a scholly playing D-I hockey and you get to stay home in Canada. I have to think that would appeal to a fair number of kids that take their future after hockey more seriously than their NHL prospects. Major Junior is for the kids whose "advisors" have convinced them they are the next NHL superstar if they just play more and focus less on school. The NCAA is the opposite - try to get a degree for next to nothing and maybe you can play pro hockey some day as well if you practice. For all we know, there may be US kids that want to get the heck away from Mom and Dad and would go North of the border to play D-I hockey. Sometimes kids just want to do something different even if it doesn't make any sense in the present light. See ASU Hockey...
              Ryan J
              And the cheap Canadian $$
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Call me when one of these schools announces they are actually starting a D1 program.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  Call me when one of these schools announces they are actually starting a D1 program.
                  317-917-6222??
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    The writing is on that wall that it's pretty much already a done deal. They are forming a new super-international hockey conference with SFU, Minot State, UNLV, Iowa State, Nebraska, Univ of Buffalo, Iowa, Moorhead State, Univ of IL, the Alaska Unified University System, San Diego State and ASU. I think there were a couple others as well but I couldn't remember all their names. Mankato had applied for membership as well, but they were turned down.

These 20+ teams will mark the largest single expansion in the history of D-I hockey. It is rumored that someone's uncle was going to fund all the teams through a new "Go Fund Our Rumor" page.
                    Ryan J

Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 09-27-2016, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                      They already are DII in other sports. They are a full member of the GNAC, which includes UAF and UAA.

This could be a coup for the WCHA if it ever comes to fruition (and the WCHA still exists after the next realignment wave). Assuming SFU went to the WCHA, it gets the conference into a hockey-crazy NHL city in the middle of a fertile recruiting ground. In many respects it would be better than picking up ASU.

I know, travel costs money, blah blah blah. Look at the big picture.
                      That won't fly due to the. ..... "bus league boy's" would find out 20% of their team couldn't get in Canada due to their criminal records.
                      Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
                      UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Working...
                      X