Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

Hearing from a trusted source that Bob Daniels is in the mix.

No offense to Bob, who has built an effective program at Ferris, but he's not what this situation needs. The style of play he favors will not bring back any fans. I'd see him as the hockey equivalent of the Muddy Waters hire - one that shows how little the AD actually knows about hockey. Again.

Comment

Rick Bennett makes a lot of sense, Union is not a program that can matchup, that arena is one of the worst D1 arenas out there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
        Pretty quiet on the coaching search front. The quiet before the coaching search storm.

Hollis must be scheming up something amazing as we speak.
        Doubt it. Probably just picking his nose.

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
          Hearing from a trusted source that Bob Daniels is in the mix.

No offense to Bob, who has built an effective program at Ferris, but he's not what this situation needs. The style of play he favors will not bring back any fans. I'd see him as the hockey equivalent of the Muddy Waters hire - one that shows how little the AD actually knows about hockey. Again.
          The thought at first was underwhelming but he might not be a bad hire. There is little doubt that he can properly run a program which would do us wonders. I also don't put too much stock in style of play as far as fan draw goes. Fans will come to watch a team that consistently wins whether they fly up and down the ice or use stifling defense to do it.

But Daniels is getting a bit older, isn't he? Not sure why he'd want to leave Ferris after all this time.

Comment

Daniels is an MSU graduate. Also, he might be leaning like Comley, who left Northern Michigan after 26 years to coach at a Big Ten school.
            "No matter where you go, there you are"

Comment

If Bob Daniels is in the mix, why not just try to lure Jeff Jackson home?

Comment

Originally posted by bcmsu9196 View Post
                Daniels is an MSU graduate. Also, he might be leaning like Comley, who left Northern Michigan after 26 years to coach at a Big Ten school.
                If the rumor is true, it would indicate to me that Hollis is putting a ton of value into "being a Spartan" again. (Worked wonders last time, right?)

I don't know. I like Bob Daniels. He's done well at FSU. That said, he's in his late 50s. Assuming he's successful, he'd be a short-term fix for MSU.
                Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                66 - 86 - 07
                59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

IMHO....

Bob Daniels is a great coach.

But.

A lazy choice for MSU. At least the challenge to get Jackson back would be more difficult and need some input from your AD and his team. The assessment that he would be a short term fix is a great observation.

I honestly have no idea what is going up up in EL, but listening to headline at least tells me that your AD is pretty distracted. I hope that he can put some focus on this, for OUR sake (and I'm not kidding). Not to say that there are not other "easy" choices, too.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                    If Bob Daniels is in the mix, why not just try to lure Jeff Jackson home?
                    Notre Dame surpassed MSU in nearly every conceivable way the moment they opened the doors at Compton. Jackson gets everything he wants from the ND athletic department. Why would he consider coming to MSU? Knowing this, why would MSU waste its time?
                    66 - 86 - 07
                    59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Comment

This thought just hit me: If not Daniels, then Cole. If not Cole, promote Newton.

If Hollis is adhering to a Spartan purity test again, could this conceivably be his thought process?

I don't know, I just think it's way too dangerous to be that narrow-minded right now. I'm hoping his horizons are a bit broader than that.
                      66 - 86 - 07

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                        This thought just hit me: If not Daniels, then Cole. If not Cole, promote Newton.

If Hollis is adhering to a Spartan purity test again, could this conceivably be his thought process?

I don't know, I just think it's way too dangerous to be that narrow-minded right now. I'm hoping his horizons are a bit broader than that.
                        ^^This. I just hope he learns from his mistake last two times.. THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX. I'm not saying Bob is a bad choice just that he may not be the "home run" a lot of people are looking for...

Comment

• Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post

I don't think Newts is all that interested. Talked to him last week, he looks tired and ready for it to be over - that's just not the energy level this situation needs.

Bob Daniels as stated has done well at Ferris. But it took a long time for him to build a contender, too long to be acceptable now. And yes, wins help, but unwatchable hockey isn't going to inspire any transformative interest and excitement about the program.

Bergeron is a better pick. But he may take a while to get the wheels turning too.

Out of the box? How about a guy with a long NHL career, 2 NCAA titles as a player, coach of the year honors in the USHL, a good relationship with the NTDP, a solid pipeline to Western Canadian recruiting, and experience in rebuilding a college hockey program? Sound appealing?

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post

Out of the box? How about a guy with a long NHL career, 2 NCAA titles as a player, coach of the year honors in the USHL, a good relationship with the NTDP, a solid pipeline to Western Canadian recruiting, and experience in rebuilding a college hockey program? Sound appealing?
                            Bill Muckalt
                            "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

• Originally posted by eye4talent View Post
                              Bill Muckalt
                              That's the guy. Get past his alma mater and he'd be a home run hire.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                                That's the guy. Get past his alma mater and he'd be a home run hire.
                                He'll be a great candidate for you at Tech when Michigan hires Mel.

Comment

Working...
                                X