Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

I could stick around for a bit if Logan Lambdin (#71) can work with Patrick Khoderenko (#55) like that (beauteous goal) or Haag can play with that kind of fire. Not bad for just one coach's practice overall.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
      I could stick around for a bit if Logan Lambdin (#71) can work with Patrick Khoderenko (#55) like that (beauteous goal) or Haag can play with that kind of fire. Not bad for just one coach's practice overall.
      That was a very nice goal. Appleton's was pretty sweet as well.

We didn't win, but we certainly should have. I was pleased with most aspects of our play and disappointed in others. I worry that we saw some indications of problems that have plagued us for years, namely lack of Powerplay productivity and lack of scoring touch. We tied this game because we couldn't bury our chances. I know that happens in hockey but after witnessing this problem for years, I will be convinced it isn't an issue when it's no longer consistently an issue. Also, I do not know the stats on faceoffs but it did feel like we lost quite a few.

On the other hand, we possessed the puck a lot tonight and passed fairly well, besides some expected sloppiness. We looked solid on defense and limited Toronto to very few scoring chances.They are quite lucky they scored at all, let alone 2.

I thought Appleton and Haag both looked to play with a fair bit of speed and fire. Let's hope that keeps up. I thought some of the freshman showed pretty well so maybe we've got some pieces to work with.

With that all being said, I would wager that Toronto is the worst team we'll see this year by a fair margin. As a result, I could not accurately peg how we looked in comparison to previous seasons. I do think we looked a little better than I expected but I'm not sure that will get it done when Denver comes to town in a few weeks.
      Last edited by Pirateasaur; 10-02-2016, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Do we have three jersey sets now, or did we literally wear practice jerseys today?
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
          Do we have three jersey sets now, or did we literally wear practice jerseys today?
          i was wondering that as well. I think they were practice jerseys. I hope they were practice jerseys.

Edit: oh, we do have 3. The normal Spartan head ones, the delicious script throwbacks and new alts that were announced a few weeks back. Tonight's jerseys looked like practice ones unless we changed out Spartan head uniform design. I'd be fine with that since I never liked those.
          Last edited by Pirateasaur; 10-02-2016, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
            That was a very nice goal. Appleton's was pretty sweet as well.

We didn't win, but we certainly should have. I was pleased with most aspects of our play and disappointed in others. I worry that we saw some indications of problems that have plagued us for years, namely lack of Powerplay productivity and lack of scoring touch. We tied this game because we couldn't bury our chances. I know that happens in hockey but after witnessing this problem for years, I will be convinced it isn't an issue when it's no longer consistently an issue. Also, I do not know the stats on faceoffs but it did feel like we lost quite a few.

On the other hand, we possessed the puck a lot tonight and passed fairly well, besides some expected sloppiness. We looked solid on defense and limited Toronto to very few scoring chances.They are quite lucky they scored at all, let alone 2.

I thought Appleton and Haag both looked to play with a fair bit of speed and fire. Let's hope that keeps up. I thought some of the freshman showed pretty well so maybe we've got some pieces to work with.

With that all being said, I would wager that Toronto is the worst team we'll see this year by a fair margin. As a result, I could not accurately peg how we looked in comparison to previous seasons. I do think we looked a little better than I expected but I'm not sure that will get it done when Denver comes to town in a few weeks.
            The power play wasn't necessarily concerning, given that TA sent out for the top unit 3 freshmen up front (Hirose, Khoderenko - who took a lot of draws - and Lambdin). Appleton at the right point looked somewhat uncomfortable but that was the only place it seemed he wasn't in top form.

Overall I think MSU ended up winning more faceoffs than lost.

And you are correct, that was quite a bad CIS team MSU played. Give us UWO and Minney and Lethemon would have faced more than a dozen shots.
            Last edited by owslachief; 10-02-2016, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Gotta say that I'm impressed with how you guys are dealing with the reality of your program. Much better than the football fans who still can't accept the FACT that Rich Clod coaching at Michigan for three years helped sparty get in-state talent.
              Originally posted by alfablue
              Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
              Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
              I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by streaker View Post
                Stop trolling, turd.
                There's no trolling involved. My intentions are quite clear.
                CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Sour much? How's the NCHC treating you?
                  You mean my multi-bid league? Just great, thanks for asking.

Will you guys play defense this year? Or is this just same ol scUM hockey--all flash, no substance? I have to admit, thought, that's quite the country club Red has built in Ann Arbor. I don't know how he does it.
                  CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Michigan played two in Houghton two seasons ago. What they do moving forward after the 2 games this season at Yost, I am not aware of yet.
                    Make no bones about it, UM is not making another trip to Houghton. That was simply a big favor to an old friend. Red would rather host Robert Morris or travel to Dartmouth than make trips to the UP.
                    CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                      i was wondering that as well. I think they were practice jerseys. I hope they were practice jerseys.

Edit: oh, we do have 3. The normal Spartan head ones, the delicious script throwbacks and new alts that were announced a few weeks back. Tonight's jerseys looked like practice ones unless we changed out Spartan head uniform design. I'd be fine with that since I never liked those.
                      I think those were our new third sweaters, actually. The program posted some hideous new home jerseys on Twitter not too long ago with "SPARTANS" and a number on the front.

It would be worth questioning the AD again if we replaced our great script jerseys with those.
                      Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                      66 - 86 - 07
                      59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                      59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Michigan played two in Houghton two seasons ago. What they do moving forward after the 2 games this season at Yost, I am not aware of yet.
                        This year is the third series of the previously clarified 2-for-1 deal, as is the Tech at MSU series two weeks after. Tech is actively pursuing more games with both schools, no word on what the campus exchange would be.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
                          Make no bones about it, UM is not making another trip to Houghton. That was simply a big favor to an old friend. Red would rather host Robert Morris or travel to Dartmouth than make trips to the UP.
                          Sorry, didn't mean to interrupt you. Saw the sign on the door and assumed I was in the right room

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                            Gotta say that I'm impressed with how you guys are dealing with the reality of your program. Much better than the football fans who still can't accept the FACT that Rich Clod coaching at Michigan for three years helped sparty get in-state talent.
                            I do appreciate you Big Bro for sticking up for us and taking care of the Bucky bully over the weekend. Now will you pls do the same to the meanies in Indiana? They picked on us too!

Comment

There's no trolling involved. My intentions are quite clear.
                              Same as mine. BG is not a Michigan rival unlike the schools in Columbus or East Lansing. Nothing uppity about that, it is a true statement. Problem is, your type do not understand or want to admit it because you want it more than we want it.

Comment

You mean my multi-bid league? Just great, thanks for asking.

Will you guys play defense this year? Or is this just same ol scUM hockey--all flash, no substance? I have to admit, thought, that's quite the country club Red has built in Ann Arbor. I don't know how he does it.
                                What does that have to do with your bottom feeder program? How was your program's trip to the NCA er, oh wait... so instead you have to live vicariously through the multi bid heavyweights of the league. Nice. So you and UNO fans can commiserate about something together again. How quaint.

So that country club won the B1G Ten conference tourney last season and won a NCCA tourney game. Last I checked, WMU hasn't done much since the CCHA days and even with that success has not reached a FF or NC game, something our country clubbers have. So row, row, row that one.
                                Last edited by streaker; 10-03-2016, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X