Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
    Well, the season is officially in a freefall again after the worst weekend since LSSU and 7 straight losses. I can't see it getting any better next weekend in Happy Valley. How bad does it have to be for Hollis to make a move in March? The program has become a consistent loser, doormat, embarrassment, and any other sports synonym you can muster.
    I figure if basketball tanks in March there goes the feel-good diversion factor - and Hollis will make a move. A split at Penn State and I'll believe these guys haven't packed it in for the season. Good luck though to our head coach in dreaming up something new and inspiring to say.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
      I figure if basketball tanks in March there goes the feel-good diversion factor - and Hollis will make a move. A split at Penn State and I'll believe these guys haven't packed it in for the season. Good luck though to our head coach in dreaming up something new and inspiring to say.
      A split with Penn State? Not going to happen...This team is headed for the record books and not the kind of record you want. 1977-8 was the last time MSU had 7 wins or less. Can this team get three more wins for a tie? If they don't will it matter to Hollis? (probably not) Anastos is our Matt Millen and it took 8 years for the owner to realize that while a good guy who talked a good game he didn't know what he was doing.
      Last edited by wsummers; 01-08-2017, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsummers View Post
        A split with Penn State? Not going to happen...This team is headed for the record books and not the kind of record you want. 1977-8 was the last time MSU had 7 wins or less. Can this team get three more wins for a tie? If they don't will it matter to Hollis? (probably not) Anastos is our Matt Millen and it took 8 years for the owner to realize that while a good guy who talked a good game he didn't know what he was doing.
        I think we'll break 7 wins. The team is good enough to get a win over most teams every once in a while when things fall the right way. 10 wins looks pretty iffy at this point, if not fairly unlikely. I still think we'll take a couple from Michigan. Maybe one or two from OSU or Wisky at home.

But what is Hollis pinning his hopes on? Maybe he hopes the team will improve for a few years from this point on based purely on the team growing older. Then in 2 or 3 years when we sneak into the NCAA tournament he can declare the program back before explaining away the following collapse as being a result of youth. Maybe he'll have retired or something by then and the dumpster fire will be someone else's to deal with.

Comment

I think Hollis is pinning his hopes on football returning to and basketball continuing dominance so no one notices he hasn't done anything in three years since he started going for the March Madness committee chair.

He's been relatively quiet since the end of last sports season and especially quiet since the Dr. Nassar stuff came out.
          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

I hate to say it but I actually find myself rooting against MSU right now just so Hollis has no choice but to let Anastos go. He seems to be a very likeable and down to earth guy but I think his time as head coach is up. Hopefully he will see he isn't the best thing for the program and resign allowing MSU to not have to buy him out.

Anyways.. Go PSU this weekend! (kidding) (but not really)

Comment

Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
              I hate to say it but I actually find myself rooting against MSU right now just so Hollis has no choice but to let Anastos go. He seems to be a very likeable and down to earth guy but I think his time as head coach is up. Hopefully he will see he isn't the best thing for the program and resign allowing MSU to not have to buy him out.

Brother I agree with you. The least painful thing for TA is if he quits on his own terms (aside from the short-term financial hit). But since that's about as likely as a Comley-style "retirement" ...

This season has to be wearing on TA himself like slow torture. So give the guy a historically bad season that leaves no doubt, cut him loose cleanly and let him get back to youth hockey and running his two rinks.
              Last edited by owslachief; 01-09-2017, 12:05 PM.

Comment

We've started to call him Tom Asbestos.

- increasingly poisonous after continued exposure
                - resistance to fire/firing
                - expensive to remove
                - everybody knows you eventually have to get rid of it no matter what the cost or availability of replacement

Comment

That's how I was since 9-2 against UM last year and since Northeastern this year. I'll hope that we can beat Michigan, but really I don't care what happens in the other 16 Big Ten games.

I won't be too disappointed about a loss until the Big Ten Tournament.
                  Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post

- expensive to remove
                    - everybody knows you eventually have to get rid of it no matter what the cost or availability of replacement
                    (Applauds.)
                    Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                    66 - 86 - 07
                    59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                    59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

I still can't do this, primarily for two reasons:

1.) Losing still sucks, and the way we lose is outright embarrassing.
                      2.) Anastos could go 0-36-0 and there'd still be no change. Hollis has fully bought into the whole "It takes 27 years to rebuild a program!" thing. If Hollis wouldn't bite with any of the other warning signs staring him directly in the face, he sure isn't going to bite now.
                      Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                      66 - 86 - 07
                      59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                      59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post

- expensive to remove
                        Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                        (Applauds.)
                        Well played, JJM

Comment

Originally posted by aallenpollreisz View Post
                          I still can't do this, primarily for two reasons:

1.) Losing still sucks, and the way we lose is outright embarrassing.
                          2.) Anastos could go 0-36-0 and there'd still be no change. Hollis has fully bought into the whole "It takes 27 years to rebuild a program!" thing. If Hollis wouldn't bite with any of the other warning signs staring him directly in the face, he sure isn't going to bite now.
                          Re: 2): What Hollis said 10 months ago implied that he expected to see some success this season, and it's highly likely we're headed for the exact opposite of that. So perhaps there is "hope".

Comment

• Originally posted by owslachief View Post
                            Re: 2): What Hollis said 10 months ago implied that he expected to see some success this season, and it's highly likely we're headed for the exact opposite of that. So perhaps there is "hope".
                            Perhaps. I do not believe he chose his words so carefully and intentionally.

But I do believe that there cannot be any way that Hollis can ignore this program forever. Not a single soul would say firing Anastos was "premature" at this point, not even Anastos. At some point, Hollis has to do his job which is to put MSU athletics in position for success. Attendance and support is now as bad as it has been in what I assume is...ever. The hockey program doesn't have the pull behind it that it used to but it's not Intramural flag football we're talking about.

As for cheering against the team, I have never been able to do that. What it is instead is complete apathy to losses. When I attend the game, I am more invested but if I check the CHN app and it says we lost 4-1 to whoever, I now roll my eyes and move on with my evening like a game was never played.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                              Perhaps. I do not believe he chose his words so carefully and intentionally.

But I do believe that there cannot be any way that Hollis can ignore this program forever. Not a single soul would say firing Anastos was "premature" at this point, not even Anastos. At some point, Hollis has to do his job which is to put MSU athletics in position for success. Attendance and support is now as bad as it has been in what I assume is...ever. The hockey program doesn't have the pull behind it that it used to but it's not Intramural flag football we're talking about.

As for cheering against the team, I have never been able to do that. What it is instead is complete apathy to losses. When I attend the game, I am more invested but if I check the CHN app and it says we lost 4-1 to whoever, I now roll my eyes and move on with my evening like a game was never played.
                              Hockey is the one sport other than football and basketball that can make money. Obviously it has been awhile since that has happened but it should take third priority on Hollis' list at the very least. Ignoring it for the next few years is just not going to happen. I understand some of you guys are frustrated it has taken this long but I really think this was the "make or break" year for Anastos. FYI he is failing miserably.

As for rooting against the team, Obviously I want them to succeed just like you do. But when MSU loses I would rather them lose 6-1 now rather than 2-1. That way it looks worse to the people who don't watch the game and just check the score.
                              Last edited by gomsuman; 01-10-2017, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Skimming through this thread, I see a lot of the same things that were being said at Wisconsin in the past few years with Mike Eaves. As much as I dislike MSU (going back to my college days at NMU when you came to town with Ryan Miller), it sucks to see another program going through this. The feeling that the administration isn't paying attention to hockey because they are too fixated on football and basketball...it sucks...

Have hope. Things will change, eventually, probably.

We never imagined that we would see Granato, Granato, and Osiecki come back to Madison together and it has been amazing so far. I can't say that I know much history of your program, what would be the MSU trifecta?

Comment

Working...
                                X