Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MSU Spartans 2016-17 (Volleyball Looks Like a Legit Alternative)

Originally posted by Decatur Spartan View Post
    This headline from Neil Koepke: " Spartans Will Learn From Saturday’s Loss".

It seems this is the mantra of the current regime. 'We're still learning". "Baby steps".
    Yes I know it is a 'Young' team. But enough already with the learning statements. We are now six years into a five year rebuilding plan. Or if you prefer, first year into the second five year rebuilding plan. Either way, progress has, and continues to be negligible. Deeply disappointed when tCHHCoMSU received that extension last spring.
    And yet I hit the reset button on giving the 2016-17 program a pass. So, I am looking to see some things happen that will restore my faith:
    1. Major improvement overall from November to February. What this means to me is fewer turnovers, a maturing power play, 3 or 4 true goal scorers emerging, and "wins, baby!".
    2. These same freshmen take the steps NEXT season that we're supposed to see from year 1 to year 2. This has been lacking and has been a source of irritation to me as a fan.

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
      And yet I hit the reset button on giving the 2016-17 program a pass. So, I am looking to see some things happen that will restore my faith:
      1. Major improvement overall from November to February. What this means to me is fewer turnovers, a maturing power play, 3 or 4 true goal scorers emerging, and "wins, baby!".
      2. These same freshmen take the steps NEXT season that we're supposed to see from year 1 to year 2. This has been lacking and has been a source of irritation to me as a fan.
      Agree completely with this Owslachief.

For the first time in a long time I watched MSU dominate the play for most of the final 10 minutes in the 1st period after going down 2-0 on Saturday (Credit to MTU for only giving up 1 goal in that time frame). That was a combination of skill and desire to win that I haven't seen in quite awhile here at MSU. A 5/3 powerplay goal and a bad give away from a freshman that made it 4-1 is what ultimately deflated the team to the point of no return. Not to mention we were skating essentially 3 forward lines vs MTU's 4 lines.

Count me as a glass half full guy until I see otherwise with this years team. I have been nothing but impressed with the team. Hopefully the next thing that comes is the Wins.

Comment

Prediction for tonight: 3-2 win for MSU.

Anybody heard anything regarding any of the injuries? Is MSU still skating essentially 3 forward lines tonight?

Comment

Originally posted by gomsuman View Post
          Prediction for tonight: 3-2 win for MSU.

Anybody heard anything regarding any of the injuries? Is MSU still skating essentially 3 forward lines tonight?
          Holy **** there's a game tonight!

Comment

Originally posted by owslachief View Post
            Holy **** there's a game tonight!
            Yup. 7:05. Games are Thursday and Saturday this week.
            Haven't heard an injury update.
            FSU 4-2 and 4-1

Comment

Thursday Night at Munn: 4-1 FSU.
              MSU is averaging 2.12 goals a game. Leading scorer's each have three goals. Goals against is 3.88.
              Take away the Princeton game, Averaging 1.57 goals a game. And giving up 4.14. PP is anemic, 1/7 last night. PK has its moments, but gave up 3 on four kills last night.
              Mr. Hollis: How much longer must we wallow in the mud at the bottom of College Hockey?

Comment

I think, at this stage, it's pretty clear we're going to stay in the mud until Anastos figures it out or retires/resigns.
                Michigan State University Spartan Hockey
                66 - 86 - 07
                59 - 66 - 67 - 84 - 86 - 87 - 89 - 92 - 99 - 01 - 07
                59 - 66 - 67 - 82 - 83 - 84 - 85 - 86 - 87 - 88 - 89 - 90 - 92 - 94 - 95 - 96 - 97 - 98 - 99 - 00 - 01 - 02 - 04 - 06 - 07 - 08 - 12

Hey, I have this Twitter thing. Follow me here.

Comment

Last night was extraordinarily disappointing. You could see that we were a better team. FSU is not fast, they are not skilled, they did not possess the puck, and they are not particularly physical. What they did do well was put bodies and sticks into shooting/passing lanes all night, especially on the PK. Their PK was legit very sound positionally and schematically. Their goaltender played well, too.

The 2nd period was the sloppiest I have seen in a while. Bobbled pucks, passes into skates or through our sticks, missed defensive assignments, you name it. These things constantly killed our momentum. The team's coming through the neutral zone together with speed, cross ice pass behind the target and bam, everyone has to hit the brakes. When we stopped killing our selves, we control play. We just can't score. Those 2 quick power play goals on the 5 on 3 and the ensuing 5 on 4 really seemed to suck the air out of our team.

The previously mentioned "Minney plays too low" issue was textbook taken advantage of on 2 of their goals.

This game felt like a big step back. FSU is not a good team.

Joe Cox did prove my "forwards can't play defense" theory incorrect with two nice stops on an incoming forward, though.

I am just going to take heart that for most of the 1st and 3rd periods I was frustrated simply for the fact that we were clearly better than our opponent.
                  Last edited by Pirateasaur; 11-11-2016, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                    Joe Cox did prove my "forwards can't play defense" theory incorrect with two nice stops on an incoming forward, though.

I am just going to take heart that for most of the 1st and 3rd periods I was frustrated simply for the fact that we were clearly better than our opponent.
                    Yes he played defense alright but I think he really struggled with the whole offensive part on the powerplay. No offense to the captain but he never has been an offensive powerhouse.. I have way more confidence in one of the freshman defensemen on the point then him.

I agree this one was really frustrating to watch just because we were clearly the more talented team. To Ferris' credit they play extremely sound hockey on the defensive end and had a pretty darn good goalie, but that is nothing new in a Bob Daniels team.
                    Last edited by gomsuman; 11-11-2016, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Decatur Spartan View Post
                      Thursday Night at Munn: 4-1 FSU.
                      MSU is averaging 2.12 goals a game. Leading scorer's each have three goals. Goals against is 3.88.
                      Take away the Princeton game, Averaging 1.57 goals a game. And giving up 4.14. PP is anemic, 1/7 last night. PK has its moments, but gave up 3 on four kills last night.
                      Mr. Hollis: How much longer must we wallow in the mud at the bottom of College Hockey?
                      Hey, you have as many wins as the Football team.
                      Originally posted by alfablue
                      Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                      Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                      I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
                        Last night was extraordinarily disappointing. You could see that we were a better team. FSU is not fast, they are not skilled, they did not possess the puck, and they are not particularly physical. What they did do well was put bodies and sticks into shooting/passing lanes all night, especially on the PK. Their PK was legit very sound positionally and schematically. Their goaltender played well, too.

The 2nd period was the sloppiest I have seen in a while. Bobbled pucks, passes into skates or through our sticks, missed defensive assignments, you name it. These things constantly killed our momentum. The team's coming through the neutral zone together with speed, cross ice pass behind the target and bam, everyone has to hit the brakes. When we stopped killing our selves, we control play. We just can't score. Those 2 quick power play goals on the 5 on 3 and the ensuing 5 on 4 really seemed to suck the air out of our team.

The previously mentioned "Minney plays too low" issue was textbook taken advantage of on 2 of their goals.

This game felt like a big step back. FSU is not a good team.

I came away from that first period wondering how this team could actually be down 1-0. I felt like 5-on-5, MSU did everything better than FSU except finishing at the net. Yes - our power play was anemic. But for the most part I have no problem with the hustle we showed through the game. Just need goal-scorers ... plain and simple.

Seems this team (and blame it on youth) gets a couple power play goals against and the shoulders begin to sag. But even one of our junior players had a lapse - there's no way Gatt should allowed Rutkowski to sit right there at the net for that 3rd goal. That's the 3rd goal of the game, and as the saying goes it's the most important.

To Ferris State's credit, they're suddenly riding a hot goaltender, AND they forecheck like nobody's done that to us before. That's a physical team and it extends to defense too, where they come right out to you on the power play. Now, when your power play is manila and you're not moving ... they can do that.
                        Last edited by owslachief; 11-11-2016, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Sharp jerseys last night. Look like I'll have to add another one to my signature.
                          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                            Sharp jerseys last night. Look like I'll have to add another one to my signature.
                            Oh yes. Glad someone mentioned that. Those were beauteous.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                              Hey, you have as many wins as the Football team.
                              Not any more!

Comment

Hey Y'all.......Volley Ball is 22-5.

Comment

Working...
                                X