Dartmouth Hockey 2016-17 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dartmouth Hockey 2016-17 Season

After a great run ending the season with a berth in the play-offs in Lake Placid, losing to the eventual NCAA runner-up Quinnipiac, what can we expect from a team that lost 10 seniors and replacing them with a freshmen class of 11?
    Last edited by BIG Green; 09-24-2016, 04:44 PM.

Re: Dartmouth Hockey 2016-17 Season

Their strength will be on the back end, albeit with an unproven goalie. They return 7 D-men who played extensively last year with many gaining valuable experience late in the season and going into the playoffs. Can they replace the scoring from many of the graduating seniors with a returning group of underclassmen and new freshmen? That will be the main question!

Comment

We can expect the usual inconsistent play,failure to win key games and year 37 of not making the NCAA's

Comment

eddieshack23,

I think we can agree that they can / will be inconsistent but I will just focus on this season. I would imagine they would run into some growing pains for the first half of the season with more consistent play heading into the ECAC tournament and hopefully another berth into the playoffs in Lake Placid! Go BIG Green!

Comment

What kind of style of hockey will the BIG Green play and what will be their Identity are major questions? Will they play the "safe" get the puck in deep and forecheck like crazy or try to make plays from their D zone going through the neutral zone with speed and skill? Will they be a "in your face" agitative group or prefer to play a puck possession style or maybe a combination of both on both sides of the puck?

Comment

Hey Big Green fans! All summer (and still today) your schedule has been showing a pre-season match-up with Harvard at Thompson on October 22nd. Do you know if this is really happening? The Crimson removed it from their schedule some time ago, though they do not seem to be otherwise engaged on that day. I want to visit my home town and family while taking in a game. Thanks in advance.

http://www.dartmouthsports.com/Sport...B_OEM_ID=11600
            Last edited by Crimson on the Glass; 09-29-2016, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Hey Crimson on the Glass! As far as I can tell, we are still slated to play you on Oct.22 although it says TBA in our schedule. Additionally, we usually play a Canadian university/college in the pre-season so I would have to believe that would occur on Oct 15. Hope this helps!

Comment

It appears the upperclassmen will lead the way, many who have gained valuable experience last season in the playoffs vs the likes of Colgate, Yale, and Q! With that in mind, many of the freshmen class will have to follow their lead and find their niche/role.

Comment

Will the returning players who gained valuable experience in the playoff run last year build on that and continue to improve and develop? Or will some of them get too comfortable to take it to the next level? When they come together as a team, melding a big freshmen class of 11; that should answer the former question above!

Comment

The October 15 TBA date is no longer on the Dartmouth website but I have to believe they still will play a Canadian college/university team. If that date is left open, it will leave the Big Green with just one exhibition, of all teams Harvard. With many questions after great playoff run last year losing 10 seniors, both practices and exhibition games are imperative to give an early indication how the team will look and make necessary adjustments as needed

Comment

Where are all the Dartmouth fans?

So now they do NOT have an exhibition game against a Canadian school on Oct 15; that means their only exhibition will be the following weekend against Harvard. I am quite sure they are putting this extra time into quality practices in preparation for the season. However, nothing beats live game action as it cannot be replicated...especially when you see an opposing jersey as compared to seeing an opposing teammate in practices.

Comment

Two Dartmouth alums scored in NHL action last night. However, only one gets credit for it. Lee Stempniak scores on the PP deflecting a shot off his skates for the Hurricanes while Ben Lovejoy (Devils) scores for the opposing team as a puck deflects off him into the net. Hey, they do ask you how you score but rather if you scored?

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
                          Two Dartmouth alums scored in NHL action last night. However, only one gets credit for it. Lee Stempniak scores on the PP deflecting a shot off his skates for the Hurricanes while Ben Lovejoy (Devils) scores for the opposing team as a puck deflects off him into the net. Hey, they do ask you how you score but rather if you scored?
                          How does Stempniak not stick with one team? The guy flat-out scores wherever he goes.
                          Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

I could not agree more! Poor Lee and his family has got to be tired of moving! Not big, fast, or flashy but as you said, he always find the back of the net, maybe he does more with less.

Comment

I am quite sure the players are "chomping at the bit" to play in their first game of the season, albiet as an exhibition vs Harvard this weekend. Hopefully, they come away with many learnings confirming what the coaches already know and/or pleasant surprises and more importantly injury-free.

Comment

Working...
                              X