2016-2017 WCHA Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016-2017 WCHA Season Thread

In this week's edition of "Chuckleheads With No Clue", the Tuesday Morning Quarterback writers once again lead the way.

"Yes, there are games this weekend (and a heckuva home-and-home between No. 1 Minnesota-Duluth and No. 15 Minnesota State), but we will miss hockey for days after that."

Considering the series is actually between UMD and Bemidji, I really really wish one of them would show up at the Verizon Wireless Center and be really puzzled.

Comment

WOW??? Princeton 6, Mankato 1......
      Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
      FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
      NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
      NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
      NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
      NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
      Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
      Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
        Tigers have been on a tear since plying BSU.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Usually UND goes on a tear after playing BSU. This year it is Princeton.

After two periods in Duluth, BSU leads UMD 1-0!
          Millsy

FROZEN FOUR 2009!

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
          Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84

Comment

I'd really rather not send the MacNaughton to New Jersey this year, guys...
            In Mel We Trust(ed)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post

We're a one-bid league.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

We're a one-bid league.
                Still not necessarily true, both MTU and BSU still have a shot at autobid.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

BSU 1, Duluth 1, BSU "wins" during the 3 on 3 OT. Goes as a tie for NCAA purposes.....
                  Millsy

FROZEN FOUR 2009!

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                  Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84

Comment

Still not necessarily true, both MTU and BSU still have a shot at autobid.
                    I just don't see how that is possible.......any wins Tech gets against UM, Western or ND will just be cancelled out by playing 6 games against Anchorage, Huntsville and Northern, who are 3 of the 8 WORST teams in D1. If they even tie one of those games they are complete toast as well. BSU's got a slightly better chance, but BG being so disappointing is not going to help and they also have Huntsville and Anchorage.

Unfortunately the WCHA is just not very good, and that pains me to say as much as anyone as I was really hoping the league would step it up this year.

I also watched the BSU game and Duluth was the better team, Bitzer kept it close, the teams were really not that close in talent....sad to say for the league.

Comment

........and then BG goes and loses to Fairbanks....smh....pathetic.

BG is just a train wreck....we've almost single handedly killed the WCHA with our pathetic non-league start and now losing to bottom 7 in the country teams........ugh.

Bergeron just can't seem to get this team over the hump whhere they play hard every night.....been this way for 3 years now.

Comment

Ugly ending in Fairbanks with a hit to the head at the buzzer to Nanook defenseman Zach Frye...83 minutes of penalties at 20:00 when it was sorted out...Player or players may sit tomorrow via WCHA suspension?

Comment

• Originally posted by fairbanks hockey puck View Post
                          Ugly ending in Fairbanks with a hit to the head at the buzzer to Nanook defenseman Zach Frye...83 minutes of penalties at 20:00 when it was sorted out...Player or players may sit tomorrow via WCHA suspension?
                          It wasn't a hit to the head. My first impression, from the live feed, was "there's no way he hit him that hard." Looked like a glancing blow with the elbow mid back and the player just fell into the boards. Spezia is a short guy. Alaska player had his head down near the boards. I don't think he's physically tall enough to hit him in the head in that position. But, I haven't watched the replay.

Comment

Originally posted by bravohankins View Post
                            I just don't see how that is possible.......any wins Tech gets against UM, Western or ND will just be cancelled out by playing 6 games against Anchorage, Huntsville and Northern, who are 3 of the 8 WORST teams in D1. If they even tie one of those games they are complete toast as well. BSU's got a slightly better chance, but BG being so disappointing is not going to help and they also have Huntsville and Anchorage.

Unfortunately the WCHA is just not very good, and that pains me to say as much as anyone as I was really hoping the league would step it up this year.

I also watched the BSU game and Duluth was the better team, Bitzer kept it close, the teams were really not that close in talent....sad to say for the league.
                            all it takes is BSU or MTU dominating the rest of their season and winning most/all their non-conference and then losing tot the other in the WCHA championship game to get 2 in...if they both go 0-3/0-4 in their remaining NC, sure neither will get an at large but right now, both still could.

Comment

Here's a clip from the aftermath of the BGSU/UAF game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sImmhOguP7Q

Bad hit from Spezia, and an equally bad check by Basara skating in afterwards.
                              Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Basara and Spezia should sit multiple games. That retaliatory hit was arguably even sh*ttier than the one that caused the scrum. If you're gonna retaliate, you'd better challenge your guy face-to-face.

I do love the UAF goalie jumping in though, that is pretty funny.

Comment

Working...
                                X