Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2016-2017 WCHA Season Thread

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
    We had one in Kato earlier this year. I don't follow the referees much (Except when we have the Shepherds. Then I just get sad.), but there must be one in regular WCHA rotation.
    I have no complaints, she did well out there. The Beavers on the other hand..........
    Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
    FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
    NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
    NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
    NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
    NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
    Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

2016-17 WCHA Non-Conference Schedule

The WCHA has 69 non-conference games this year, not including the one game between Alaska and Alaska-Anchorage.
      27 Possible NCHC Games (3-13-2)
      25 Possible Big10 Games (8-14-1)
      8 Possible Hockey East Games (0-2-0)
      8 Possible Atlantic Hockey Games (1-1-0)
      7 Possible ECAC Games (0-2-0)
      TOTAL: 12-32-3

ALABAMA-HUNTSVILLE (0-4-0)
      -2 at Connecticut L 6-0, L 4-0
      -2 at St. Cloud State L 5-1, L 5-2
      -vs. Massachusetts (Minneapolis, MN)
      -vs. Minnesota/Mercyhurst (Minneapolis, MN)

ALASKA (1-3-0)
      -at Alaska-Anchorage W 4-1
      -vs. Minnesota (Anchorage, AK) L 6-3
      -Canisius L 2-1 (OT)
      -Nebraska-Omaha L 4-3 (OT)
      -2 at Notre Dame

ALASKA-ANCHORAGE (1-5-0)
      -Minnesota L 6-0
      -Alaska L 4-1
      -vs. Nebraska-Omaha (Fairbanks, AK) L 3-1
      -vs. Canisius (Fairbanks, AK) W 1-0
      -2 at Penn State L 6-3, L 3-1

BEMIDJI STATE (0-4-0)
      -2 at North Dakota L 3-2, L 5-4
      -2 with Princeton L 4-1, L 3-1
      -at Minnesota-Duluth
      -Minnesota Duluth
      -vs. St. Cloud State (St. Paul, MN)
      -vs. Minnesota/Minnesota-Duluth (St. Paul, MN)

BOWLING GREEN (1-4-1)
      -Western Michigan T 4-4
      -at Western Michigan L 8-2
      -Ohio State L 5-4
      -at Ohio State L 6-1
      -2 at Miami L 2-1 (OT), W 4-1
      -vs. RIT (Toledo, OH)
      -with Mercyhurst

FERRIS STATE (1-4-0)
      -Western Michigan L 5-3
      -at Western Michigan L 2-1
      -Michigan L 2-1
      -at Michigan State W 4-1
      -Michigan State L 4-3
      -vs. Robert Morris (Pittsburgh, PA)
      -vs. Boston College/Quinnipiac (Pittsburgh, PA)

LAKE SUPERIOR STATE (3-1-0)
      -2 with Michigan State W 6-1, W 7-3
      -2 at Michigan W 3-1, L 4-1
      -2 at Nebraska-Omaha

MICHIGAN TECH (1-4-1)
      -2 at Minnesota Duluth L 6-0, L 4-3
      -2 at Michigan L 4-3, T 3-3
      -2 at Michigan State L 3-2 (OT), W 5-1
      -vs. Michigan (Detroit, MI)
      -vs. Western Michigan/Michigan State (Detroit, MI)
      -2 at Notre Dame

MINNESOTA STATE (3-1-0)
      -2 with St. Cloud State W 4-1, W 6-4
      -Minnesota W 4-1
      -at Minnesota L 1-0
      -2 at Princeton

NORTHERN MICHIGAN (2-3-1)
      -2 vs. Wisconsin (at Green Bay) W 3-2, L 6-5
      -2 at Wisconsin W 5-2, L 2-0
      -2 with Nebraska-Omaha T 2-2, L 2-0
      -vs. Colorado College/Cornell/Mercyhurst (Estero, FL)
      -vs. Colorado College/Cornell/Mercyhurst (Estero, FL)
      Millsy

FROZEN FOUR 2009!

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
      Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
        I realize that each game impacts future predictions. But I am curious as to how many games have ended with a result that was less than a 50% probability. I'd look but then it would appear I understand your methodology.

And as an aside, I despise the Seawolves. But according to BG announcers, every time a Falcon hit the the the ice they were brought down without a call. And every time a Seawolve hit the ice they slipped or fell. I admit that the Seawolves suck and can't skate, but that's beside the point, give me a break. BG announcers are a bunch of homers. It gags me me to give the Seawolves a compliment, even back-handed.
        Keep in mind that the announcers you heard are students, not professionals. They are also radio announcers and not TV announcers so, yes, they are going to be biased as most home team radio announcers are. They are describing what they see to those who cannot see the game, from a BG slant. FWIW, I think that Evan does a really good job and will likely have a good career in sports broadcasting after he graduates.

When BCSN (Toledo area cable sports TV broadcasters) airs the games (generally one of the 2 weekend games) you will get a less biased broadcast and better camera work.

Comment

Week 9 BELOW: http://blog.wchaplayoffs.com/2016/12...below-ratings/

I'm thankful that UAH-FSU is Sat-Sun, because I'll get to see BSU-MTU on Friday night.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
            Week 9 BELOW: http://blog.wchaplayoffs.com/2016/12...below-ratings/

I'm thankful that UAH-FSU is Sat-Sun, because I'll get to see BSU-MTU on Friday night.

GFM
            Ughh.... And I won't be able to catch Friday's game as I will be at my company Christmas party.....
            Millsy

FROZEN FOUR 2009!

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
            Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84

Comment

If everyone continues their pace, here's how the season will end:

Bemidji 76
              MTU 60
              BGSU 54
              MSU 47

UAH 37
              FSU 36
              LSSU 35
              UAF 30

UAA 17
              NMU 16

Observations:

-Bemidji would need a Cliff-Clavin-Jeopardy level collapse to not win the McNaughton. There's no wider gap in the standings between any neighboring teams.
              -Huge series this weekend in Ohio that could very well determine who gets home ice in round 2. Studying for finals be ****ed, I'll be front row for that.
              -MSU seems pretty well situated to stay in the top 4. A move up to 3 or 2 is possible, though.
              -Not much can be said about the 5-8 range. It's near certainty that they'll be in a road playoff series, but as to who goes where, that will be tightly contested through the rest of the season.
              -UAA and NMU are going to need a lot of help to get out of the hole they've dug themselves in.
              BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

Originally posted by Critical Thinker View Post
                If everyone continues their pace, here's how the season will end:

Bemidji 76
                MTU 60
                BGSU 54
                MSU 47

UAH 37
                FSU 36
                LSSU 35
                UAF 30

UAA 17
                NMU 16

Observations:

-Bemidji would need a Cliff-Clavin-Jeopardy level collapse to not win the McNaughton. There's no wider gap in the standings between any neighboring teams.
                -Huge series this weekend in Ohio that could very well determine who gets home ice in round 2. Studying for finals be ****ed, I'll be front row for that.
                -MSU seems pretty well situated to stay in the top 4. A move up to 3 or 2 is possible, though.
                -Not much can be said about the 5-8 range. It's near certainty that they'll be in a road playoff series, but as to who goes where, that will be tightly contested through the rest of the season.
                -UAA and NMU are going to need a lot of help to get out of the hole they've dug themselves in.
                I still don't agree with that assessment of BSU...they got swept by Princeton, all it takes is another weekend like that against a conference opponent and they'll come back to the pack.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                  I still don't agree with that assessment of BSU...they got swept by Princeton, all it takes is another weekend like that against a conference opponent and they'll come back to the pack.
                  My response to that is - anything but a couple losses would be considered that type of collapse. Consider that BSU has already taken 14 of 18 points against the other 3 teams in the top tier, and plays still has a majority of their remaining games vs that group at home (only 2 @ BGSU). Biggest point being they don't have much work to secure tiebreakers over those three.

Now, I'm not saying that BSU won't suffer some sort of collapse, but anything more than losing a couple games while expecting either of MTU/MSU/BGSU to win out is a stretch.
                  Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                  B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                  CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                  ECAC:
                  HEA: UMass
                  NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                  Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Gotta agree with Moose here. Will BSU lose a game or two (or three) down the stretch? More than likely, yes. Even if BSU goes 7-7 down the stretch, Tech has to go 10-4 to pass them. Bowling Green and Mankato each have two games in hand, but still have to make up 13 and 15 points.
                    Millsy

FROZEN FOUR 2009!

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                    Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84

Comment

I have a feeling that NMU's win over Anchorage last night may have been the highlight of their season
                      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                        Even if BSU goes 7-7 down the stretch, Tech has to go 10-4 to pass them.
                        In just looking at the records alone, Tech passing BSU seems unlikely. However the two remaining games at BSU keeps the race much tighter than it looks currently. If Tech sweeps BSU in the second meeting, Tech only needs one more win than BSU in the other games to get the Cup outright and just two points better than BSU in all the remaining games to secure the #1 seed as Tech will have the tie-breaker with a 3-1 head to head record. No doubt Tech stubbed their toe this weekend and missed a chance to pull much closer, but they are by no means out of the race.
                        Ryan
                        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                        Originally posted by geezer
                        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                        Originally posted by manurespreader
                        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by BGFan View Post
                          Keep in mind that the announcers you heard are students, not professionals. They are also radio announcers and not TV announcers so, yes, they are going to be biased as most home team radio announcers are. They are describing what they see to those who cannot see the game, from a BG slant. FWIW, I think that Evan does a really good job and will likely have a good career in sports broadcasting after he graduates.

When BCSN (Toledo area cable sports TV broadcasters) airs the games (generally one of the 2 weekend games) you will get a less biased broadcast and better camera work.
                          I agree. The BG Crew is a home crew and they do a nice job for their target audience.
                          "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Originally posted by moose97 View Post
                            My response to that is - anything but a couple losses would be considered that type of collapse. Consider that BSU has already taken 14 of 18 points against the other 3 teams in the top tier, and plays still has a majority of their remaining games vs that group at home (only 2 @ BGSU). Biggest point being they don't have much work to secure tiebreakers over those three.

Now, I'm not saying that BSU won't suffer some sort of collapse, but anything more than losing a couple games while expecting either of MTU/MSU/BGSU to win out is a stretch.
                            8 points. That's less than 3 games. Hardly insurmountable with 14 to go. A couple splits paired with a couple Tech sweeps and it's a new race.
                            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                              8 points. That's less than 3 games. Hardly insurmountable with 14 to go. A couple splits paired with a couple Tech sweeps and it's a new race.
                              If it wasn't for the Princeton series, I'd be with Moose and others, but that just shows me that just ells me that the Lakers could split next weekend, hell anchorage could take some points after a draining series with UMD, not to mention despite doing well against MTU, MSU, and BGSU, they still have to play ALL of them again. The team is good, but Bitzer is what makes them great...
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                                If it wasn't for the Princeton series, I'd be with Moose and others, but that just shows me that just ells me that the Lakers could split next weekend, hell anchorage could take some points after a draining series with UMD, not to mention despite doing well against MTU, MSU, and BGSU, they still have to play ALL of them again. The team is good, but Bitzer is what makes them great...
                                It comes down to depth. I don't know if they have it, but they will need it for sure. Look what happened to mankato after their top defenseman got hurt.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X