Merrimack College Warriors 2016-17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merrimack College Warriors 2016-17

My ears have barely stopped ringing from the ruckus that was the final game in the Schneider Arena, but it's getting to be that time of year again.

I think we're in for a good year. We have some really good returning veterans - Seney and Spaxman being the standouts to me. We're in a good spot with our goalies. I'm curious to see if Vogler has maybe made the leap to be the starter, based on his performance in the HEA playoffs last winter. We lost a pretty good senior class, but Tavernier, McBride, Kovacevik all very promising incoming freshmen. Is Patrick Kramer coming in this fall?

Schedule highlights for me - Hosting Notre Dame for perhaps the final time, and visiting Wisco for a set. Nice as well that we catch BC early in the season. I have not done a lot of research on the competitive landscape in the league yet.

I'm also of course looking forward to pregames at Culpepper's and at Elm Square Oysters.

Re: Merrimack College Warriors 2016-17

Like some of the recruits in the next few years, including Coomes this year along with some of the names you mentioned, but Destefani, Seyfert and L. Drevitch also stand out down the line.

Will be interesting to see the maturation of Spaxman from last year to this. Overall, think the blue-line is our strength with three solid pairings. My concern, as usual, is can we get enough consistent goal scoring to be a 5-7 HEA team this year.

Comment

Season preview of Merrimack, if Mack fans are interested http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/20...k-drew-vogler/
      "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
        Season preview of Merrimack, if Mack fans are interested http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/20...k-drew-vogler/
        Very nice writeup, sound analysis. I think you can see how there's a likelihood of improvement or possibly even a breakout year for the Warriors this year.
        Last edited by Yuppie Scum; 09-06-2016, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
          Very nice writeup, sound analysis. I think you can see how there's a likelihood of improvement or possibly even a breakout year for the Warriors this year.
          The writer did a good job, I am merely the delivery boy and another guy on the blog with him. I agree with both of you, Mack may not be competing for a bye any time soon but if Vogler can maintain the numbers he had AND some more scoring can develop, Merrimack could surprise people. Another home playoff series, giving them 2 straight years of that, would be a step in the right direction. I'll be watching for Babcock and Foget to take steps forward, and also be watching Seney since he's a Devils draft pick (Go Devs!)
          "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
            The writer did a good job, I am merely the delivery boy and another guy on the blog with him. I agree with both of you, Mack may not be competing for a bye any time soon but if Vogler can maintain the numbers he had AND some more scoring can develop, Merrimack could surprise people. Another home playoff series, giving them 2 straight years of that, would be a step in the right direction. I'll be watching for Babcock and Foget to take steps forward, and also be watching Seney since he's a Devils draft pick (Go Devs!)
            Babcock will be a captain some day, I'd put money on it.

Comment

should be a nice season, depends on how kids develop though, older kids look to add more scoring, more icetime as well..team still has issues with scoring, and creativity, been an issue since dakosta has left.defense solid can provide some offense, its the teams strength as usual, goaltending looks solid too..seney, foget should pace the offense, as well as other kids..got some good size, maybe best skating team in years too, add in some frosh skill, team may get first round home ice. maybe the best roster we seen in 5 years, good balance size, grit, skill, speed, and compete level never a problem with dennehys teams..if they can find a way to score more which isn't easy they may surprise folks

Comment

McMahon is reporting that Pat Kramer will be joining the team this coming semester. Really nice freshman class!

Comment

Looking forward to this season. 7th "ish" seems about right. Vogler's job to lose in net IMHO. Really hoping that Leblanc can step up. Team should have some excellent speed with Seney and Foget, and Spaxman could grow into a really outstanding D-man.
                  Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

http://www.themackreport.com/news/me...t-lawler-rink/ - Finally! Kind of the biggest missing piece of the puzzle. This could make the experience a lot better in some of the worse "neck straining angle" seats.

Comment

Reminded of the Talking Head's song "Same As It Ever Was". Not ready to start the game (outshot 14-4 in the 1st and 26-8 through 2), and an abysmal 1-14 on the power-play including 4, count 'em 4!!! 5 on 3's. Not exactly a rousing start to the year.

Comment

To your teams credit.......they never quit last night. Up to the final buzzer they competed. Vogler was strong in net and was repeatedly tested. The first period was a travesty with all the penalties. While I think it is fair to say the Saints dominated overall.......there were stretches where Merrimack put good pressure on Hayton. Your boys just cannot seem to find the back of the net, and, they don't appear to turn chances into shots. Those are all fixable at this point in the season. Many teams would have packed it in last night when falling behind, but your boys literally fought hard until the final buzzer went off.
                        SLU

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
                          To your teams credit.......they never quit last night. Up to the final buzzer they competed. Vogler was strong in net and was repeatedly tested. The first period was a travesty with all the penalties. While I think it is fair to say the Saints dominated overall.......there were stretches where Merrimack put good pressure on Hayton. Your boys just cannot seem to find the back of the net, and, they don't appear to turn chances into shots. Those are all fixable at this point in the season. Many teams would have packed it in last night when falling behind, but your boys literally fought hard until the final buzzer went off.
                          Kudos on the feedback. It sounds like the guys are finally getting the message on "compete level" after the Clarkson debacle. Important to keep in mind a big chunk of our team's talent sat last night - Spaxman, Foget, Larsson. And LeBlanc was injured. Doesn't excuse letting 3-4 goals, but doesn't help the scoring situation.

Hopefully homecoming weekend is an improvement, and they are ready to keep it 100 in time for the early BC game.

Comment

I am a Colgate fan who purchased the broadcast for tonight's game. I need to commend your broadcasters and cameramen on a great job!! The broadcasters were unbiased and certainly know the game. Congrats to your team on the win......hoping we can leave North Andover tomorrow night with a split.

Comment

9 goals on the weekend was a pleasant surprise. Seney's steal and deke was a really nice goal, and Hampus G. has goals in 3 straight. Can they grind out a win over the Eagles tomorrow night? Still a lot a firepower with the Fitzgeralds and Cangelosi (not sure if Colin White will be in their lineup as he got dinged in their last game). I'm guessing that Babcock is out for this one, game misconduct at the end of Saturday's game. Not smart.

Comment

Working...
                              X