Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
    No. I certainly do not want to see Skidmore again. But that's the way I see it playing out.
    Big sheet vs small sheet: I am not sure makes much difference to this team…and while I love those long graceful passes on the big ice and the wide open game—it just didn’t seem to faze this team when they had to deal with joints like UMass Boston and the other smaller venues. And as someone mentioned earlier... its not really an issue given the barns we are likely to play in going forward.

Do I want to see Skidmore Again? I still think how tough even USM played us only a month ago…just as they have befuddled other teams throughout this season. They have spoiler potential for any team they face as they have nothing to lose. I watched both NEC games and honestly didn’t see the stronger team that their current record and stats represents. Obviously they are better than I thought. So I am scared of them on any given night. Babson would be a tough game especially if it were for all the marbles. And yup, even Skidmore with dreams of another miracle on ice—have the sincere belief they can take us down. And they played that way in the second game where the lead changed hands four times and we needed seven rockets to win. There is only one path, e.g. focusing on the next opponent...one at a time...all the way.

The Kriezberg Effect: All that said---consider the other guys perspective as I love the idea of playing at home. Several years ago a former UMass Boston player told me that playing at Kriezberg Arena is like playing in Yankee Stadium. NU is an intimidating joint with its huge sheet, always with a capacity crowd of partisan fans, all those Championship banners...and this year--- very good hockey team with a 21-1-3 record...with a bunch of very eager seniors who want to leave behind their OWN banner in the rafters. I would think that would be very chilling to any opponent regardless of who they are. Polls, stats, records, etc. are great indicators of how a team MAY perform. So it both a strong winning tradition and great heart. This NU team seems to have it all in spades...now they just have pull the trigger and to do it.

So All Things Considered? Well actually, I'd rather be in our shoes (er...skates) than theirs including Skidmore's. Go get 'em Cadets!
    Last edited by Old Rook NU'66; 02-13-2017, 09:27 PM.
    Old Rook NU'66--Roll On Cadets
    Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

Kyle Thomas '13 has gotten his first AHL call-up! 25-game PTO with the defending AHL champion Cleveland Monsters (affiliate of the Blue Jackets). He currently ranks 2nd in ECHL scoring.

http://www.clevelandmonsters.com/tea...s-pto-contract

Congrats Kyle!
      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
      GO LAKERS!!!
      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

Nice article in today's Burlington Free Press on this year's Cadets ...

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/s...sion/97882214/

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
          Kyle Thomas '13 has gotten his first AHL call-up! 25-game PTO with the defending AHL champion Cleveland Monsters (affiliate of the Blue Jackets). He currently ranks 2nd in ECHL scoring.

http://www.clevelandmonsters.com/tea...s-pto-contract

Congrats Kyle!
          Good luck to him! He deserves the chance!
          Plattsburgh CARDINALS
          SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
          ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
          NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
          NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
          NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
          NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

best of luck to him

Comment

First NCAA Rankings are out at: http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/icehock...gional-ranking

We could hardly have done better thanks to both Williams and Babson making the list of "ranked teams". Maybe the Cards will pull an upset in the SUNYAC, and we will have faced 4 "ranked teams"?
              The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Comment

You can listen to Kyle Thomas' AHL debut here: http://mixlr.com/real-rock-radio-104...usive-content/

He leads Columbus with 3 shots on goal early in the second period.
                GO LAKERS!!!
                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                Oswego State '09

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                  You can listen to Kyle Thomas' AHL debut here: http://mixlr.com/real-rock-radio-104...usive-content/

He leads Columbus with 3 shots on goal early in the second period.
                  Columbus doesn't play until tonight.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

We all taking the week off as well?
                    The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Comment

Originally posted by peddler View Post
                      We all taking the week off as well?
                      Coach McShane wins 10th NEHC Coach of the Year award, six Cadets earn All-Conference.

First Team:
                      William Pelletier
                      Cody Smith

Second Team:
                      Ty Piacentini
                      Braeden Ostepchuk

Third Team:
                      Kevin Salvucci
                      Alec Brandrup

http://www.norwichathletics.com/spor...20170216lnfsqa
                      GO LAKERS!!!
                      Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                        Coach McShane wins 10th NEHC Coach of the Year award, six Cadets earn All-Conference.

First Team:
                        William Pelletier
                        Cody Smith

Second Team:
                        Ty Piacentini
                        Braeden Ostepchuk

Third Team:
                        Kevin Salvucci
                        Alec Brandrup

http://www.norwichathletics.com/spor...20170216lnfsqa
                        Interesting goalie selection there. Reichenbach has the better GAA and SV% of the two, but has all of the negative results on his record. Is that the reason for the choice?
                        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

• Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                          Interesting goalie selection there. Reichenbach has the better GAA and SV% of the two, but has all of the negative results on his record. Is that the reason for the choice?
                          including when he replaced Ostepchuk against Endicott while behind 3-1.
                          Go 'Wick!

Comment

• Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                            Wow really Prof? After all this time you've forgotten that its a CONFERENCE award so only CONFERENCE stats matter? Thus the undefeated record, better save and gaa....am I talking to a board rookie jk.
                            Remy Babineaux
                            remyb616@gmail.com
                            D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by jerrynu26 View Post
                              including when he replaced Ostepchuk against Endicott while behind 3-1.
                              Reichenbach also came in in relief late in the game against Plattsburgh and in the second Skidmore game.
                              Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                                Wow really Prof? After all this time you've forgotten that its a CONFERENCE award so only CONFERENCE stats matter? Thus the undefeated record, better save and gaa....am I talking to a board rookie jk.
                                That is, entirely possible, and indeed, I did forget about that aspect of selections. What makes that aspect odder is the fact that all-conference selections are used as a basis for all-American selection. This means (I don't think it applies here) that a very close selection based on conference statistics only could eliminate a player from AA consideration, even if his level of play overall was superior. That is an interesting way to run a Railroad.
                                2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                                2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                                2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                                2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Working...
                                X