Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

Originally posted by peddler View Post
    This year the 3/5 rankings will be public.

That should make the decision making process for the Pool B/C selections at least a little more clear. It should help clear some of the smoke out of the "smoke filled room"
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

NEHC Tournament 2/18 Games - Norwich - Bye, S Maine at NEC, UMB at Babson, Skidmore at Castleton.
      The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Comment

• Originally posted by peddler View Post
        NEHC Tournament 2/18 Games - Norwich - Bye, S Maine at NEC, UMB at Babson, Skidmore at Castleton.
        reseed after each round, right?
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
          The teams kept their seeds, but the brackets are flexible. . The term reseed is totally inaccurate.

After the the quarters the Cadets will host the lowest seeded advancing team, and the second highest seed will host the third highest seed. No seeds are changed.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            http://www.nehockeyconference.com/men/tourney/index.php

Prof nailed it.
            Last edited by peddler; 02-12-2017, 03:37 PM. Reason: credit where due
            The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Rook NU'66 View Post
              Great video....to compliment another strong win today over St. Michaels as the Cadets cap a great regular season... with more to come.

Ever since moving to New England, in ‘94 and becoming re-engaged with NU hockey I've been lucky to see some great NU teams and equally great players like Bellemare, Accoin, McLean, Cotnoir and many more.

But this year’s Norwich team just seems extra special.
              We'll see. Certainly, 21-1-3, the #1 ranking, and reclaiming the regular season conference crown is a helluva season. But with those accomplishments come higher expectations. And at the risk of sounding arrogant, when your program has made 11 Frozen Fours and won 3 national titles, it requires a postseason run to be considered "special".

And to their credit, I think the team realizes this. I remember watching the team preview before the season and they were talking about playing beneath the banners in Kreitzberg and wanting to honor that standard. These guys seem to embrace the tradition as opposed to seeing it as a burden. That's where having 10 seniors makes a big difference.
              Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

NEC very quietly put together a great year to finish 2nd in the NEHC. Playoff slate:

#7 USM @ #2 NEC
                #6 UMB @ #3 Babson
                #5 Skidmore @ #4 Castleton

My predictions:
                NEC over USM.
                Babson over UMB.
                Skidmore over Castleton to set-up a semifinals of:

#3 Babson @ #2 NEC
                #5 Skidmore @ #1 Norwich
                Norwich '13

Comment

• Originally posted by NU Pastime;6442554.
                  I remember watching the team preview before the season and they were talking about playing beneath the banners in Kreitzberg and wanting to honor that standard. These guys seem to embrace the tradition as opposed to seeing it as a burden. That's where having 10 seniors makes a big difference.
                  Amen. I guess my point is...this team more than any other NU squad I can recall seems to have really put together every aspect of their game...be it their power plays on offense...to forechecking when down a man. We have four lines that can all threaten to score...and two goalies either of whom could be starters anywhere in DIII. This is a very complete team.
                  Old Rook NU'66--Roll On Cadets
                  Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

Pastime , I agree with your special statement. As most college coaches of any sport will note, at this time all teams and players that make it into the play offs, are really good. The difference now becomes how much the believe in each other. Norwich has the guns to get er done if they can keep there heads in the right place. We can also hope that all the ice sheets they play on is the same size as Norwich is, because they seem to not like the Olympic size ice. That extra width seems to really affect there north/south game. Who do you think they will use in goal? Will they keep rotating no matter what? Will be interesting to see. Go CADETS!!

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                      Pastime , I agree with your special statement. As most college coaches of any sport will note, at this time all teams and players that make it into the play offs, are really good. The difference now becomes how much the believe in each other. Norwich has the guns to get er done if they can keep there heads in the right place. We can also hope that all the ice sheets they play on is the same size as Norwich is, because they seem to not like the Olympic size ice. That extra width seems to really affect there north/south game. Who do you think they will use in goal? Will they keep rotating no matter what? Will be interesting to see. Go CADETS!!
                      Shouldn't have to worry about Olympic size ice surface. I think their heads will be in the right place. This is a senior class that lost in their freshman year in a tough game that came down to the third period in Geneseo (NCAA quarterfinal). Next year lost in another NCAA quarterfinal on an own goal to Amherst in OT... a game they should have won (extra attacker goal in the last seconds by Amherst to tie that one). We all know last years story leaving their careers at being denied the frozen four twice when so close and then having a season where many were talking about the downfall of Norwich Hockey. This has been the goal all season, they have executed well thus far and hope they roll into the playoffs.

GO WICK!

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                        Assuming they continue to win, the Cadets are virtually assured of playing the 3 games, between now and Utica, AT KREITZBERG. Furthermore Utica Memorial Auditorium is 200x85, slightly narrower than our home ice (200x90).

Comment

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                          NEC very quietly put together a great year to finish 2nd in the NEHC. Playoff slate:

My predictions:
                          NEC over USM.
                          Babson over UMB.
                          Skidmore over Castleton to set-up a semifinals of:

#3 Babson @ #2 NEC
                          #5 Skidmore @ #1 Norwich
                          You really want to see Skidmore a third time?

Comment

We will see somebody a third time, and you know what they say - the toughest thing to do is beat the same team three times in one season. At this stage anybody is dangerous.

Just hunch here. I think we are going to see UMB. They have been frustrated all year and will take it out on their neighbors.

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                              We will see somebody a third time, and you know what they say - the toughest thing to do is beat the same team three times in one season. At this stage anybody is dangerous.

Just hunch here. I think we are going to see UMB. They have been frustrated all year and will take it out on their neighbors.
                              If the theory is true, then we'd most want to see either Skidmore or Babson. No need to worry about beating either a third time.

Comment

No. I certainly do not want to see Skidmore again. But that's the way I see it playing out.
                                Norwich '13

Comment

Working...
                                X