Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
    It was an interesting game, good for Middlebury not so much so for Norwich. I saw at least 3 shifts where everyone was skating in a circle almost running into each other trying to get #20 the puck. I don't think this is true and hate to say it, but every time Will settles into playing a few games in a row, the team seems not to play as good. He is clearly a better player than most in D3. After a couple of games,the team does what ever they can to get him the puck when he is on the ice. There passes were not like they often are. They just need to trust each others skills, that is when no one can beat them. I think they have what it takes to go all the way this year with a little luck.
    Your last sentence makes me chuckle. Remember at the end of last season, when everyone was predicting doom and gloom and claiming that our beloved program had been passed by? Some of the alleged "experts"?

I specifically said that we'd get a great freshman class and be right back to winning this year. I believe you doubted me; I know others did (Bog, etc).

Now you're posting that they can win the whole thing. While I agree with you, IF they can learn some consistency, I get a bit of a kick out of the whole thing. I really wish I could find/post some of those exchanges...

On to another big weekend!

Comment

• Originally posted by KRBFLINT03 View Post
      Your last sentence makes me chuckle. Remember at the end of last season, when everyone was predicting doom and gloom and claiming that our beloved program had been passed by? Some of the alleged "experts"?

I specifically said that we'd get a great freshman class and be right back to winning this year. I believe you doubted me; I know others did (Bog, etc).

Now you're posting that they can win the whole thing. While I agree with you, IF they can learn some consistency, I get a bit of a kick out of the whole thing. I really wish I could find/post some of those exchanges...

On to another big weekend!
      While I get your point and agree that there was definitely thoughts of would Norwich rebound (and they have)...let's also remember it's not really the freshmen class that's been doing a whole lot. It's the senior class that is getting the job done. Flaherty, Smith, Pichette are having best years of their career. That's the biggest difference I've noticed. Couple that with Salvucci, Piacentini and Will, when he's been healthy and they've really had a great scoring by committee approach this year.

I also think both goaltenders have played very well in 90 percent of their minutes this year. The freshmen have chipped in here and there, most notably Williams lately.
      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
      GO LAKERS!!!
      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
        While I get your point and agree that there was definitely thoughts of would Norwich rebound (and they have)...let's also remember it's not really the freshmen class that's been doing a whole lot. It's the senior class that is getting the job done. Flaherty, Smith, Pichette are having best years of their career. That's the biggest difference I've noticed. Couple that with Salvucci, Piacentini and Will, when he's been healthy and they've really had a great scoring by committee approach this year.

I also think both goaltenders have played very well in 90 percent of their minutes this year. The freshmen have chipped in here and there, most notably Williams lately.
        Valid, but my point wasn't that the freshmen have been the difference, although you could argue that having them has allowed the upperclassmen to flourish, my point was just that I said NU would get a good class in (they did) and would immediately return to contending (they have).

The opinion on this board was that the glory days were over, no matter how hard I tried to remind everyone of the rebound after 2008-2009...

Comment

• UMass Boston got a new D1 transfer goalie at the break from
          Sacred Heart that has been playing really well so far for them....Beacons might be a bit different team this time around.
          GO LAKERS!!!
          "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
          Oswego State '09

Comment

UMass Boston got a new D1 transfer goalie at the break from
            Sacred Heart that has been playing really well so far for them....Beacons might be a bit different team this time around.
            Time will tell

Comment

UMass Boston got a new D1 transfer goalie at the break from
              It must really suck for players to do all the off-season workouts, go through the entire preseason training camp, attend all the practices and play your heart out in all the games, and then have some kid transfer in at the break and immediately take your job.
              Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

• Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                It must really suck for players to do all the off-season workouts, go through the entire preseason training camp, attend all the practices and play your heart out in all the games, and then have some kid transfer in at the break and immediately take your job.
                Wait until they get into the workforce.
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

I do wonder who'll help Salvucci next year. Not one freshman has emerged as a natural goal scorer, and there's no sophomore class so Steve has a huge challenge in front of him this recruiting season. For NU, at least, the Will Pelletier's come around once every 4-6 years. Do you not agree Flint, and are you equally optimistic about the recruiting efforts to date for the 17-18 season based on your Intel?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bog Hockey View Post
                    I do wonder who'll help Salvucci next year. Not one freshman has emerged as a natural goal scorer, and there's no sophomore class so Steve has a huge challenge in front of him this recruiting season. For NU, at least, the Will Pelletier's come around once every 4-6 years. Do you not agree Flint, and are you equally optimistic about the recruiting efforts to date for the 17-18 season based on your Intel?
                    At this point, I have no intel with regard to recruiting for next season. I am optimistic that this year's class will continue to develop and mature as this season wears on. Just because none of the freshman have emerged yet doesn't mean they won't. Nick Pichette, anyone?

Comment

How about Will Pelletier becoming the 48th player in Norwich history to record 100 points! Makes you wonder what could have been without the injuries.

Comment

Took care of business this weekend. Initial reaction might be that USM is a team I'd like to see Norwich handle more easily, but they played a good game and made the Cadets play 60 - which is needed. At the end of the day it's a conference road win, a 6-point conference lead, and a 15-1-2 record overall.
                        Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

For those who wish to join me at the final four in my birthplace, Utica, you can find the link for tickets at post #82 in the Utica College thread. I am not computer savvy enough to connect you. Hope I will see all you Norwich fans there. NU56

NU56
                          Old Member
                          Maybe the Oldest

Comment

Originally posted by NU56 View Post
                            For those who wish to join me at the final four in my birthplace, Utica, you can find the link for tickets at post #82 in the Utica College thread. I am not computer savvy enough to connect you. Hope I will see all you Norwich fans there. NU56
                            I'll be there if Norwich is there, if not, I'm heading to the Manchester regional for the D1 Tournament.
                            GO LAKERS!!!
                            Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by NU56 View Post
                              Hotel reservations made. See you there if they are there.
                              The "Miracle" was winning the Gold Medal Game against the Finns. I'm biased, I was there.

Comment

Hope, we must have hope with out it where would we be? I say that the Cadets have had many moments of greatness this year. Lets hope that we are just starting to peak. The season comes and goes so quickly. We need to see as much more hockey as possible. The frozen four could just serve as two more games to see the cadets play and the rink could use another championship banner to hang for all to see when they visit.

Comment

Working...
                                X