No announcement yet.

Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Always thought "throw out the records" was an obligatory cliche. But here we are.

3-3 into OT.
    Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

• Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
      Always thought "throw out the records" was an obligatory cliche. But here we are.

3-3 into OT.
      I can't decide if that's a good or a bad tie.

r

Comment

• 3-3 Final in what was a very evenly played game. Take a casual observer and have them guess which team was #2 in the nation and which one was winless and they probably wouldn't have a clue. Don't know if that's more of a compliment to Middlebury or more of a critique against Norwich.
        Norwich '13

Comment

• Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
          3-3 Final in what was a very evenly played game. Take a casual observer and have them guess which team was #2 in the nation and which one was winless and they probably wouldn't have a clue. Don't know if that's more of a compliment to Middlebury or more of a critique against Norwich.
          Yes, sometimes I really hate to be right, but anything can happen between NU and Midd. Off topic, what is Wick?
          NU '56
          Old Member
          Maybe the Oldest

NU56
          Old Member
          Maybe the Oldest

Comment

• Originally posted by NU56 View Post
            Yes, sometimes I really hate to be right, but anything can happen between NU and Midd. Off topic, what is Wick?
            NU '56
            Old Member
            Maybe the Oldest
            I don't know where it came from originally. It was very commonly used by the time I arrived in '09.
            Norwich '13

Comment

Originally posted by NU56 View Post
              Off topic, what is Wick?
              NU '56
              Old Member
              Maybe the Oldest
              Fascinating that somebody who graduated in '56 doesn't know where it came from. I started hearing it about '83 or '84 at hockey games. I didn't know why they were saying 'go Wick. I didn't see anybody named Wick on the roster. I was told by a cadet at the time that "that's what Norwich has always been called." You have verified for me that what he said was not the case.
              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
                Fascinating that somebody who graduated in '56 doesn't know where it came from. I started hearing it about '83 or '84 at hockey games. I didn't know why they were saying 'go Wick. I didn't see anybody named Wick on the roster. I was told by a cadet at the time that "that's what Norwich has always been called." You have verified for me that what he said was not the case.
                Good News? I think I have found the source of Wick. One of my classmates told me to the best of his understanding it originated some years after we graduated when the word NORWICH was painted on a storage building at the end of the field.......and if course the H looked more like a K and the Wick was born!! Sounds logical but at least its the best we can come up with unless somebody has found one better. You must remember that we had our official class photo of our 50th reunion enlarged and none of us could identify four of our members in the 50th reunion photo when we examined it last fall at our 60th. So age does improve some things, but memory is optional.
                NU '56
                Old Member
                Maybe the Oldest

NU56
                Old Member
                Maybe the Oldest

Comment

Originally posted by NU56 View Post
                  Good News? I think I have found the source of Wick. One of my classmates told me to the best of his understanding it originated some years after we graduated when the word NORWICH was painted on a storage building at the end of the field.......and if course the H looked more like a K and the Wick was born!! Sounds logical but at least its the best we can come up with unless somebody has found one better. You must remember that we had our official class photo of our 50th reunion enlarged and none of us could identify four of our members in the 50th reunion photo when we examined it last fall at our 60th. So age does improve some things, but memory is optional.
                  NU '56
                  Old Member
                  Maybe the Oldest
                  Good to know. It's a logical enough explanation. I never really questioned it.

And for those of you who missed the game last night, Jack Korte of WPTZ has a video Piacentini's beauty of a goal on his Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JackKorteMyNBC5/
                  Norwich '13

Comment

And for those of you who missed the game last night, Jack Korte of WPTZ has a video Piacentini's beauty of a goal on his Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JackKorteMyNBC5/
                    I've heard a lot of different stories on how 'wick got started...that's a new one. I've heard at least five different stories on it and this makes six now.
                    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

pretty

Comment

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
                        I've heard a lot of different stories on how 'wick got started...that's a new one. I've heard at least five different stories on it and this makes six now.
                        Sounds about right. I've heard about the same number of versions for the story of cadets stealing Coast Guard's live bear mascot.
                        Norwich '13

Comment

Perhaps young Flint can swing by Ainsworth to confirm the origin of "Wick" with Gary Lord, the Charles A. Dana Professor of History. That ought to be fun ...

Comment

I graduated in '65 and I never heard "Wick" used until many years later!

Comment

Originally posted by Oldguard65 View Post
                              I graduated in '65 and I never heard "Wick" used until many years later!
                              This story is believable, as I always thought that it had something to do with a typo that produced "Norwick."

I still think it is silly.
                              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

It was an interesting game, good for Middlebury not so much so for Norwich. I saw at least 3 shifts where everyone was skating in a circle almost running into each other trying to get #20 the puck. I don't think this is true and hate to say it, but every time Will settles into playing a few games in a row, the team seems not to play as good. He is clearly a better player than most in D3. After a couple of games,the team does what ever they can to get him the puck when he is on the ice. There passes were not like they often are. They just need to trust each others skills, that is when no one can beat them. I think they have what it takes to go all the way this year with a little luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X