Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
    Going back to this for a minute, there are a couple of noticeable trends. 1) The answer is yes, we appear to be exaggerating the attendance loss as it's almost exactly the same as it was 15 years ago at Norwich and Plattsburgh. 2) Significant gains by the other SUNYAC schools and significant losses by the NESCAC schools. What are the reasons for This? The gains are easier to explain - more invested programs, new and larger arenas. But what about the NESCAC losses? 1500 for Middlebury!? I know they're not in the same stratosphere that they used to be, but wow. I watched a bit of the Trinity game this past weekend and it was almost entirely empty. Literally. And this is a team two years removed from winning the national championship.
    We can try to ignore the facts of being a true fan, win or lose, but people just don't support a losing team. Games mean less, who wants to go see my team lose, ect ect. And flip side, a team (Brockport or Buff State) years ago were known as "point night". How many points will a Plattsburgh player get playing said teams. It wasn't a question of if we win, but how much. Now students, community members know there is a chance Plattsburgh / Oswego can be "upset" and or beaten. They have good hockey to finally watch (or at least much better).

Middlebury is just the opposite. Part of that is due to the $$ and part of it is due to the NESCAC catching up to Middlebury. Just as UMB has done to Norwich, Buff St has done to Plattsburgh.

Tradition and past only caries you so far. It's all about adjusting the way you play, recruit, and prepare. Some schools just don't care if they are 20-2 or 2-20. Just the way things are in DIII.
    Remy Babineaux
    remyb616@gmail.com
    D3FHL Web Page

Comment

• Re: Norwich 2016-17 Season Thread: ISO first NEHC title

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
      The Norwich Admissions office posted this photo of the 1979 Norwich-West Point game yesterday on Facebook. Pretty cool. https://www.facebook.com/norwichadmi...type=3&theater
      This photo just reminded me that about 20 years ago, about the time Kreitzberg Arena was being dedicated, the late NU hockey coach, Bob Priestly, told a luncheon group of NU hockey fans about a visiting West Point hockey team.

Actually, it may have happen when this photo was taken as Bob retired at the end of 1979. Those were the years before DI through DIII and NU hockey was still playing in Taylor Arena (a converted cavalry indoor riding hall). Taylor was a bandbox affair...that could barely hold a standing room only crowd of a 1,200 strong NU Corp of Cadets—with chain link fencing toping the boards instead of glass. But the fence was still low enough that spectators could hang over the top of the fencing and accidentally swipe an opponent when the skated by. Naturally, the day Army came calling, there was not an empty seat in the joint.

The Army coach seemed surprised by NU's Spartan facilities and made a friendly crack to Priestly before the game about our beloved old cavalry hall (a.k.a hockey rink). Later in a surprise upset...Army lost that game but before departing Priestly reminded the Army coach with a smile that "the next time you come to play us in our old riding hall be sure to bring some stronger horses."

My best personal recollection of Taylor Arena was a Bowdoin game in late ’62. The Bowdoin Team was given our "Rook" class club as a place to relax before game time and I had a chance to talk with the Polar Bears goalie. He said he hated playing NU in Northfield because in his words....“Taylor Arena is so small that you end up playing the entire crowd of NU Cadets instead of only six opponents.” Sure enough, that night during the 1st period the crowd was unmerciful and when Bowdoin appeared on the ice for the second period—that same goalie skated around the entire rink giving the crowd “the finger.” The cadets ate it up.
      Old Rook NU'66--Roll On Cadets
      Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

The other remarkable home ice advantage in Krietzberg. The rafters were only about 10 feet off the ice. Flipping the puck in the air to put it over the opposition was almost impossible, because the attempts would hit the rafters, and bring about a face off back in the defensive zone. In fact, when Krietzberg opened, I remember at a BLC luncheon that McShane talked about having to teach remind his team that elevating the puck was a viable strategy.
        2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
        2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
        2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
        2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

• Originally posted by NUProf View Post
          The other remarkable home ice advantage in Krietzberg. The rafters were only about 10 feet off the ice. Flipping the puck in the air to put it over the opposition was almost impossible, because the attempts would hit the rafters, and bring about a face off back in the defensive zone. In fact, when Krietzberg opened, I remember at a BLC luncheon that McShane talked about having to teach remind his team that elevating the puck was a viable strategy.
          I understand that today students have other entertainment options at Norwich. I even saw TVs (god forbid) in some upper classmen's rooms on a visit. But my senior year ('66) even with what became a dismal 7-15 NU hockey record....there was still standing room only for all home games.
          Organized crime in America takes in over forty billion dollars a year and spends very little on office supplies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Rook NU'66 View Post
            This photo just reminded me that about 20 years ago, about the time Kreitzberg Arena was being dedicated, the late NU hockey coach, Bob Priestly, told a luncheon group of NU hockey fans about a visiting West Point hockey team.

Actually, it may have happen when this photo was taken as Bob retired at the end of 1979. Those were the years before DI through DIII and NU hockey was still playing in Taylor Arena (a converted cavalry indoor riding hall). Taylor was a bandbox affair...that could barely hold a standing room only crowd of a 1,200 strong NU Corp of Cadets—with chain link fencing toping the boards instead of glass. But the fence was still low enough that spectators could hang over the top of the fencing and accidentally swipe an opponent when the skated by. Naturally, the day Army came calling, there was not an empty seat in the joint.

The Army coach seemed surprised by NU's Spartan facilities and made a friendly crack to Priestly before the game about our beloved old cavalry hall (a.k.a hockey rink). Later in a surprise upset...Army lost that game but before departing Priestly reminded the Army coach with a smile that "the next time you come to play us in our old riding hall be sure to bring some stronger horses."

My best personal recollection of Taylor Arena was a Bowdoin game in late ’62. The Bowdoin Team was given our "Rook" class club as a place to relax before game time and I had a chance to talk with the Polar Bears goalie. He said he hated playing NU in Northfield because in his words....“Taylor Arena is so small that you end up playing the entire crowd of NU Cadets instead of only six opponents.” Sure enough, that night during the 1st period the crowd was unmerciful and when Bowdoin appeared on the ice for the second period—that same goalie skated around the entire rink giving the crowd “the finger.” The cadets ate it up.
            This reminds me of the stories Charlie used to tell me about the Middlebury and Coast Guard football games. Stories like these are why the "The Old Corps", for better and worse, has such a strong hold on the Norwich psyche. Makes me wish I could've experienced a game in Taylor.
            Norwich '13

2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

Comment

I hear the old stories all the time from my Dad Old Guard 55' Football and Basketball and in the Norwich HOF,I think the stories get better each yr,I am sure there are more to come when we come to Norwich for the upcoming Tourney.

Comment

I like the pictures along the wall behind the press box. There's a nice one of General Harmon shaking the hand of a Norwich player back in the dark ages. They were tough then. No facemasks!!
                CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids
                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  I like the pictures along the wall behind the press box. There's a nice one of General Harmon shaking the hand of a Norwich player back in the dark ages. They were tough then. No facemasks!!
                  No facemasks in football or hockey.......I didnt wear a facemask as a kid playing hockey in the 70's

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Ah...General Ernie "Gravel Voice" Harmon. There was one tough hombre...who at least once a year would join the Corp in the mess hall and when he stepped up to speak all he had to do is clear his throat and a roar of cheers would go up from 1,200 Cadets. Ernie never mixed words (four letter or otherwise) or BSed the Corp. Let me put it this way, George C. Scott's opening speech in the flick Patton was just a mild mannered fatherly chat by comparison to a Harmon speech to the Corp.

Harmon was perfect for our generation...just as Admiral Schneider has been perfect for this generation. And hopefully as each generation goes forward ---from President to Rook--that each will maintain that one constant we all share...the Norwich spirit. Now let's get back to hockey as we go about God's work as we face a Friday night fight with St. Michaels. Finishing of St. Mike's would set us up nicely for the 2nd half in the NEHC in what is unfolding to be a pretty good season.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Rook NU'66 View Post

Ah...General Ernie "Gravel Voice" Harmon.
                      Harmon was perfect for our generation...
                      When I arrived at Norwich in 1980, a lot of the faculty had been on staff when Harmon was President. All of them spoke favorably of him and his integrity. None of his successors has been given that level of universal acclaim by the faculty.
                      2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                      2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                      2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                      2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Good article on USCHO today highlighting the Cadets:

http://www.uscho.com/2016/12/08/norw...-strong-start/
                        Norwich '13

Comment

Originally posted by NU Pastime View Post
                          Good article on USCHO today highlighting the Cadets:

http://www.uscho.com/2016/12/08/norw...-strong-start/
                          ...they are writing actual articles??? #MakeUSCHOGreatAGain
                          LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Congrats on another win to make it 10-1-1, (8-1-0 conference).

I thought the first two periods looked good tonight against St. Mike's, but it seemed we had a lapse again in the third. I wonder if maybe the team was working on different break outs, passing, setting up plays, etc. (Or were they just coasting?) Beautiful goal by Suroweic in the first, and I have to say Baldillez is looking great. Didn't see much of Dillanger, did he get hurt? I also thought the freshmen played well, especially Lewis, Jackson and Thompson, making great passes and forechecking.

Have a restful break and a Happy Holidays to all the Norwich players, staff, NSN, WDEV, fans and USCHO Forum posters. May we all experience great hockey in 2017!
                            There is no right way to do the wrong thing. Go Cadets

Comment

Originally posted by 17'sfanNU View Post
                              Congrats on another win to make it 10-1-1, (8-1-0 conference).

I thought the first two periods looked good tonight against St. Mike's, but it seemed we had a lapse again in the third. I wonder if maybe the team was working on different break outs, passing, setting up plays, etc. (Or were they just coasting?) Beautiful goal by Suroweic in the first, and I have to say Baldillez is looking great. Didn't see much of Dillanger, did he get hurt? I also thought the freshmen played well, especially Lewis, Jackson and Thompson, making great passes and forechecking.

Have a restful break and a Happy Holidays to all the Norwich players, staff, NSN, WDEV, fans and USCHO Forum posters. May we all experience great hockey in 2017!
                              ahhhhh still have 2 games left in 2016,and perhaps a HUGE game vs Oswego........which I will be there to watch,hopefully if it happens.

Comment

• I can appreciate the focus the coaches and players brought into this game. I think this game being played by itself made it less of a trap game than if it was part of a weekend doubleheader. However, it would have been easy to look ahead to the break and past a St. Mike's team that got three points last weekend against Babson and UMB. We prioritize the games against the top contenders and rivals, but if the Cadets want to hang another conference championship banner then they also need to take care of the teams they're supposed to take care of. They did that last night.
                                Last edited by NU Pastime; 12-10-2016, 07:47 AM.
                                Norwich '13

Comment

Working...
                                X