UConn 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UConn 2016-2017

Time to start a new thread unless I missed one that someone else already started.

Haven't heard that anyone left the program over the summer. Is the roster still intact as far as we know?

Predictions: I will predict home ice again maybe one or two places up from last year. That would make it 7th although I would not be surprised to see 6th. Steady progress. With this many NHL draftees on the team and the quality of the coaching, I do not see a step backward this year.

Thoughts folks? Time to imbibe the last G&T's of the summer, get our butts over to the Rent in 10 days to see UConn v Maine, and start thinking about Husky Hockey. This is gonna be one helluva fall sports year, folks. A lot riding on the outcomes.

Re: UConn 2016-2017

Yes, I understand it is poor form to reply to your own post, but what do we make of the rumors coming out of Boston by this guy named Blaudschun? UConn will supposedly file an application for Big 12 membership with two options -- full membership or FB only? That in itself is not really surprising although presumably if they accepted a FB-only membership, the AAC would force them out in the other sports and they would need a place to go. The rumor is Big East of course.

But the shocking rumor is that UConn would leave the AAC completely anyway if neither of their applications were successful. FB to Mid American and the other sports to BE. That sounds just crazy to me. Presumably the driver would be FB economics, but to realize any meaningful savings, they would have to drop back to FCS, not a weaker Group of Five conference. Who on earth would go the MA Conference games???

This is relevant to Husky Hockey because it indicates UConn is already making budget numbers for various scenarios, and if a move of FB to the Mid American is something that happens, you can bet that hockey budgets will be severely cut and we can kiss the likelihood of much further progress of hockey in HE goodbye.

Kissinger (and others) said that everything in the world is connected.

Comment

Thanks for starting the thread for 16-17 Dick. I think the thing to keep an eye on is Nicholls/Huska this year. It will be interesting to see if Huska can force himself into the lineup. Looks like there is some size coming in...how much of an impact they make is going to be the unknown. I have heard that Segalla is moving on...not sure if this is true or not. Should find out in a few weeks when the updated roster is put up. This team will go how the Jr class improves. If they don't make some serious headway it may be a long season. The AD has put put this RFP for facility upgrades:http://media.procurement.uconn.edu/c...evelopment.pdf
      They include a Freitas upgrade, so there looks to be light at the end of the tunnel regarding a on-campus HE regulation facility. As for Blauds prediction about the BE...remember that the MAC wouldn't let Mass park football in their league as a football only member. I think his UConn to the BE theory isn't feasible and is what he would like to see...not what UConn is going to do. What can be done is UConn telling the AAC that they are going to keep their 3rd tier rights if they get left behind in B-12 expansion. That would make more sense. If the B-12 does become a reality for UConn...it will be imperative for a Rentschler upgrade over the XL Center. That may put the Freitas upgrade on the fast track. Interesting times up in Storrs that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by FDNY99 View Post
        If the B-12 does become a reality for UConn...it will be imperative for a Rentschler upgrade over the XL Center. That may put the Freitas upgrade on the fast track. Interesting times up in Storrs that's for sure.
        Good stuff, FDNY99.

Agree that FB to MAC makes no sense at all. Cutting off the nose to spite the face. UConn will never do that. Offering a FB only option to the B-12 I think is a definite possibility. And while the BE is already too large, I think they would take UConn and lock down their status as the best BB conference of the nation.

Btw, have you heard that enlarging Freitas is now the plan instead of a completely new barn?

Comment

Yeah...click on this link:
          http://media.procurement.uconn.edu/c...evelopment.pdf

You have to read through the rfp a bit but it does call for drawings and plans for enlarging Freitas...the entire scope of the plan will be $90 Million...that is for soccer, baseball, softball, Freitas upgrade, enlarging Schenkman and a maintenance facility.

Comment

The RFP is only for an architect. The 2015 Plan has the details. If you go to that document, however, it takes a bit of looking. Did not get there on my first attempt.

Comment

Thanks for starting the thread for 16-17 Dick. I think the thing to keep an eye on is Nicholls/Huska this year. It will be interesting to see if Huska can force himself into the lineup. Looks like there is some size coming in...how much of an impact they make is going to be the unknown. I have heard that Segalla is moving on...not sure if this is true or not. Should find out in a few weeks when the updated roster is put up. This team will go how the Jr class improves. If they don't make some serious headway it may be a long season. The AD has put put this RFP for facility upgrades:http://media.procurement.uconn.edu/c...evelopment.pdf
              They include a Freitas upgrade, so there looks to be light at the end of the tunnel regarding a on-campus HE regulation facility. As for Blauds prediction about the BE...remember that the MAC wouldn't let Mass park football in their league as a football only member. I think his UConn to the BE theory isn't feasible and is what he would like to see...not what UConn is going to do. What can be done is UConn telling the AAC that they are going to keep their 3rd tier rights if they get left behind in B-12 expansion. That would make more sense. If the B-12 does become a reality for UConn...it will be imperative for a Rentschler upgrade over the XL Center. That may put the Freitas upgrade on the fast track. Interesting times up in Storrs that's for sure.
              No worries, Uconn has serious interest from B1G... Butchy said so. Hope he is doing ok.

Hope you are all having a great summer.
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                No worries, Uconn has serious interest from B1G... Butchy said so. Hope he is doing ok.

Hope you are all having a great summer.
                Thanks Nick..I hope you did too...interesting enough I get to spend a fair amount of time on Cape Cod each summer. While I'm there I always find it pleasant to spend time with BC fans.

Comment

Dick I thought they had decided on a 4500 capacity for on-campus. IMHO they should do 5000 and allow the facility to be expanded to 5500. If they only do 4500 they need to make it so they can expand it down the road to at least 5000.

Comment

Thanks Nick..I hope you did too...interesting enough I get to spend a fair amount of time on Cape Cod each summer. While I'm there I always find it pleasant to spend time with BC fans.
                    Impossible. There ARE no BC fans according to upstater.
                    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by nick papagiorgio View Post
                      impossible. There are no bc fans according to upstater.
                      lmfao!!!

Comment

Dick I thought they had decided on a 4500 capacity for on-campus. IMHO they should do 5000 and allow the facility to be expanded to 5500. If they only do 4500 they need to make it so they can expand it down the road to at least 5000.
                        You know, half the people who come to games now are from west of the river. Maybe more. They are not going to schlep all the way to Storrs. So probably half the games will still be played at the XL is my guess.

Comment

IMHO you will see the games they know will sell at the XL (BC, BU, PC, non-conference games like QU and Yale...games like this). The others on campus which is why you will see a 4500 seat facility. I just hope they give themselves some room to add seats down the road if they need them. Thats why I think the 4500 expandable to 5000 is a good idea. They also have to be prepared in the event a XL renovation..if it is ever done...goes over schedule. Thats why I think you will see this project done before that one.

Comment

IMHO you will see the games they know will sell at the XL (BC, BU, PC, non-conference games like QU and Yale...games like this). The others on campus which is why you will see a 4500 seat facility. I just hope they give themselves some room to add seats down the road if they need them. Thats why I think the 4500 expandable to 5000 is a good idea. They also have to be prepared in the event a XL renovation..if it is ever done...goes over schedule. Thats why I think you will see this project done before that one.
                            Agreed.

Comment

So was Segalla cut, told his PT would be limited going forward, or decide UConn was not for him? Has he found another home? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Comment

Working...
                              X