Penn State Loses Another Assistant Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penn State Loses Another Assistant Coach

Penn State announced that women's assistant coach Alex Dawes will become the Penn State men's hockey Director of Hockey Operations, effective immediately. Dawes was the last remaining women's hockey assistant coach with any experience at Penn State. Head coach Josh Brandwene is left with new hire Lisa Marshall, a former assistant at RIT.

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-...081816aac.html

Re: Penn State Loses Another Assistant Coach

Smart move by Alex. Stay at Penn State but improve your job security. The women's program really lacks in coaching now.

Comment

Rumor has it that Elmira's, Dean Jackson, has been hired as the new assistant.

Comment

Originally posted by Women's Hockey Fan View Post
        Well, they could do worse - looking at Jackson's resume, even if it's D3, he knows what he's doing: http://athletics.elmira.edu/coaches....3&path=whockey

Comment

Originally posted by Women's Hockey Fan View Post
          If this is true Brandwene has just hired his successor. From what people say Jackson is an excellent coach and it seems that his players love plaing for him. Not sure why he would leave Elmira but Fargo before him also left but that was for the head coach job at Colgate so not the same situation.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
            If this is true Brandwene has just hired his successor.
            I thought the same thing after I read Jackson's resume.

Comment

As a Plattsburgh fan I welcome this news.

Comment

If this is true Brandwene has just hired his successor. From what people say Jackson is an excellent coach and it seems that his players love plaing for him. Not sure why he would leave Elmira but Fargo before him also left but that was for the head coach job at Colgate so not the same situation.
                Agreed - Jackson is a WAY better coach than Brandwene. Suspect he knows he will be head coach in a season or so....

Comment

Though if true I'm discouraged that a coach of an elite team at D3 has to be an assistant coach of a team he could probably soundly beat with his Elmira players to move up. I always thought guys like him and Kevin Houle could go straight to HC of all but the powerhouses of D1 if they wanted.
                  Last edited by Scott_TG; 09-07-2016, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                    Agreed - Jackson is a WAY better coach than Brandwene. Suspect he knows he will be head coach in a season or so....
                    Hmmmm wonder if he applied at OSU

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                      Though if true I'm discouraged that a coach of an elite team at D3 has to be an assistant coach of a team he could probably soundly beat with his Elmira players to move up. I always thought guys like him and Kevin Houle could go straight to HC of all but the powerhouses of D1 if they wanted.
                      The days when a good D3 team could beat a poor D1 team are gone. Penn State would have beaten Elmira soundly last season. The talent gap is far too much to overcome between D1 and D3.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                        .....I always thought guys like him and Kevin Houle could go straight to HC of all but the powerhouses of D1 if they wanted.
                        I'm pretty sure either of those two coaches could easily take over at MN or WI or any other D1 "powerhouse." I just don't think the Plattsburgh coach will ever leave that job until he chooses to retire. He has what amounts to a free ticket to the NCAA tournament every year. I'm sure he's being paid well enough to keep him there. I don’t think that would be an expensive area to live so he's probably not hurting at all. Very comfortable life for him and his family I would say.

I could see the Elmira coach possibly being frustrated with not being able to beat Plattsburgh when it counts so maybe looking for a new challenge.

Comment

The days when a good D3 team could beat a poor D1 team are gone. Penn State would have beaten Elmira soundly last season. The talent gap is far too much to overcome between D1 and D3.
                          2016 Plattsburgh vs 2016 Union. My money would be on the Cards.
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I wish there could be an exhibition tournament every year featuring two worst D1 teams vs the 1st and 2nd place D3 teams. This year that would be Union and Brown from D1 and Plattsburgh and UW-River Falls. I would take Plattsburgh over either of those two.

Comment

I'm pretty sure either of those two coaches could easily take over at MN or WI or any other D1 "powerhouse." I just don't think the Plattsburgh coach will ever leave that job until he chooses to retire. He has what amounts to a free ticket to the NCAA tournament every year. I'm sure he's being paid well enough to keep him there. I don’t think that would be an expensive area to live so he's probably not hurting at all. Very comfortable life for him and his family I would say.

I could see the Elmira coach possibly being frustrated with not being able to beat Plattsburgh when it counts so maybe looking for a new challenge.
                              I don't mean ability to coach, I mean ability to get hired. Those programs' ADs probably wouldn't want to put the work in trying to sell that to their constituents (boosters, players, etc) who would have very high expectations given their history when they could go the easier route of making D1 experience an absolute requirement.

Comment

Working...
                              X