Alaska Nanooks: 2016-17 Season Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaska Nanooks: 2016-17 Season Thread

School starts Aug 29th and the strategic pathways options for athletics have just been released, so it’s time for a new season thread.

The University’s strategic pathways recommendations for athletics suck, but we can discuss them in following posts. It’s going to take a lot of effort from the players, coaches, and community to continue to improve or maybe even keep the Nanook program. The only tougher job out there right now may be being a Trump apologist.

Not sure when the all important polls come out, but I expect us to be in one of the bottom two spots. Last year we were only middle of the pack in scoring and have lost over 50% of that scoring. I don’t believe anyone else even comes close to that.
    We will have 19 underclassmen, including 12 freshmen. No senior d-men and maybe only three healthy junior d-men. Our goaltending should be solid, but solid may not be good enough to be competitive. We may need extraordinary goaltending.

But as a pre-emptive comment, and following my Trump theme, I would like to emphasize that if we do not win the conference then the other teams obviously cheated.

Re: Alaska Nanooks: 2016-17 Season Thread

HERE is link to the strategic pathways options

Although each option has direct consequences and untold unintended consequences and unanswered questions, here is my take on the strategic pathway options for athletics.

The report was a bit confusing, but I think this hits the major points. I'm sure you guys will let me know where I'm wrong.

Comment

A few quick comments:
      1. Unless the BOR eliminates all sports at UAF only, or modifies the consortium model, it seems like UAA will struggle to keep hockey.
      2. A GNAC model where UAF adds golf and soccer is a complete and utter joke. We would have to hasten global along rather quickly if that is going to happen
      3. If these are the options, then I would have to go with 3(b) first, then 2.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
        A few quick comments:
        1. Unless the BOR eliminates all sports at UAF only, or modifies the consortium model, it seems like UAA will struggle to keep hockey.
        2. A GNAC model where UAF adds golf and soccer is a complete and utter joke. We would have to hasten global along rather quickly if that is going to happen
        3. If these are the options, then I would have to go with 3(b) first, then 2.
        I think the Soccer and Golf option is because it is the least expensive and the GNAC offers both. That way, UAF and UAA can keep their minimums to be Division II and pay the least for the sports. I think that is what UA statewide is thinking. Plus, the soccer teams could use the Monroe Catholic Stadium next to UAF for soccer and UAA could use East High School new football stadium for soccer. Both are right there.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
          I think the Soccer and Golf option is because it is the least expensive and the GNAC offers both. That way, UAF and UAA can keep their minimums to be Division II and pay the least for the sports. I think that is what UA statewide is thinking. Plus, the soccer teams could use the Monroe Catholic Stadium next to UAF for soccer and UAA could use East High School new football stadium for soccer. Both are right there.
          I can’t tell if you are being sarcastic (a la Trump), or just being funny. You forgot your emoticons. While I’m aware that every high school and almost every middle school in Anchorage has artificial turf, there is not one artificial turf field in all of Fairbanks. And we do not have a “dome” practice facility like Anchorage. Snow on the golf course is not uncommon from mid Sep through April. Temporary greens are usually in play through mid May. Unless both college soccer and golf seasons are in June & July, we are hosed. Even if you strategically scheduled away matches, there would be no practice or training opportunities.

Not sure what you mean by the Monroe Catholic Stadium next to UAF. Surely you jest. You mean that gravel laden dirt field/snow dump next to the student rec center. The only thing related to the Catholic faith there is that you pray to god that the snow is gone, the broken beer bottles are picked up, the mud is not too deep, and it’s still too cold for the mosquitoes. Praise the Lord.

Comment

I can’t tell if you are being sarcastic (a la Trump), or just being funny. You forgot your emoticons. While I’m aware that every high school and almost every middle school in Anchorage has artificial turf, there is not one artificial turf field in all of Fairbanks. And we do not have a “dome” practice facility like Anchorage. Snow on the golf course is not uncommon from mid Sep through April. Temporary greens are usually in play through mid May. Unless both college soccer and golf seasons are in June & July, we are hosed. Even if you strategically scheduled away matches, there would be no practice or training opportunities.

Not sure what you mean by the Monroe Catholic Stadium next to UAF. Surely you jest. You mean that gravel laden dirt field/snow dump next to the student rec center. The only thing related to the Catholic faith there is that you pray to god that the snow is gone, the broken beer bottles are picked up, the mud is not too deep, and it’s still too cold for the mosquitoes. Praise the Lord.
            UAA could play college soccer but it'd have to be at the Dome and there'd have to be significant upgrades for locker rooms, seating, and a better scoreboard. College soccer runs Aug/Sept to Late Nov/Early Dec. Not gonna happen outside here.
            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Sorry I meant the turf fields at the Fairbanks Youth Soccer Association Turf Fields. Games could be played there. Not at MC. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfman View Post
                Sorry I meant the turf fields at the Fairbanks Youth Soccer Association Turf Fields. Games could be played there. Not at MC. Sorry.
                I miss-spoke too. I forgot that FYSA added two artificial turf fields last year, the first two in the interior.

Comment

Let's all just hope attendance for the both of us picks up immensely. Perhaps that could save our programs?
                  Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

... and maybe for oil to go back to $70/barrel. I'll remember y'all when I fill up my WRX.

I honestly see that Option 1, especially for both schools, is most likely. IF you list it first, it's your leading position and not you worst-case. The point that "[t]he remaining program will have increased costs due to coordination within the conference for visiting teams who were previously able to play at both programs" is pretty ****ing to that idea.

The cons are real — fewer non-Alaska students at the UA universities (geographic diversity matters!), to say nothing of legal liability. Will a one-time write-off work?

Lastly, it seems to me that travel would dictate that UAF be the program cut if only one campus loses its programs.

With Option 2, I can't see how you do the consortium and have hockey be present at both schools. Title IX is most definitely an issue, and I'm willing to bet —*absent numbers — that the hockey programs are the most expensive ones in the department thanks to travel and the baseline cost of the sport. That said, the "brand" concern doesn't fly with me — the only school in the Alabama system that has an identity tied up in their athletics are the Roll Tide crew in Tuscaloosa. You could kill all of athletics at UAH and it wouldn't hurt our brand very much (don't let anyone know that I typed that).

With Option 3, your hockey teams are gone, and that's sad. That's pretty much what Mac Portera had in mind for UAH.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                      ... and maybe for oil to go back to $70/barrel. I'll remember y'all when I fill up my WRX.

I honestly see that Option 1, especially for both schools, is most likely. IF you list it first, it's your leading position and not you worst-case. The point that "[t]he remaining program will have increased costs due to coordination within the conference for visiting teams who were previously able to play at both programs" is pretty ****ing to that idea.

The cons are real — fewer non-Alaska students at the UA universities (geographic diversity matters!), to say nothing of legal liability. Will a one-time write-off work?

Lastly, it seems to me that travel would dictate that UAF be the program cut if only one campus loses its programs.

With Option 2, I can't see how you do the consortium and have hockey be present at both schools. Title IX is most definitely an issue, and I'm willing to bet —*absent numbers — that the hockey programs are the most expensive ones in the department thanks to travel and the baseline cost of the sport. That said, the "brand" concern doesn't fly with me — the only school in the Alabama system that has an identity tied up in their athletics are the Roll Tide crew in Tuscaloosa. You could kill all of athletics at UAH and it wouldn't hurt our brand very much (don't let anyone know that I typed that).

With Option 3, your hockey teams are gone, and that's sad. That's pretty much what Mac Portera had in mind for UAH.

GFM
                      I would hope (and think) the options are listed from least likely to most probable. Only options 1(c) and 3(a) eliminates hockey at both schools. Of the options, I hope they go with 3(b).

Option 1, completely cutting sports at one school (a or b) or both schools (c) is draconian.
                      Option 2, consortium would work, but because of distance, probably does not fly with NCAA.
                      Option 3(a), offer only GNAC sports, eliminates hockey at both schools. Not realistic for UAF.
                      Option 3(b), UAA becomes GNAC only and eliminates hockey, UAF stays status quo including hockey.
                      Last edited by mmf; 08-19-2016, 03:45 AM.

Comment

I would hope (and think) the options are listed from least likely to most probable. Only options 1(c) and 3(a) eliminates hockey at both schools. Of the options, I hope they go with 3(b).

Option 1, completely cutting sports at one school (a or b) or both schools (c) is draconian.
                        Option 2, consortium would work, but because of distance, probably does not fly with NCAA.
                        Option 3(a), offer only GNAC sports, eliminates hockey at both schools. Not realistic for UAF.
                        Option 3(b), UAA becomes GNAC only and eliminates hockey, UAF stays status quo including hockey.
                        To be frank, I see no reason as to why only Fairbanks would keep hockey in all of this. Costs would be higher, revenue potential is much lower. Community support is good and all but that can erode very quickly.
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

It will probably be both schools lose their hockey teams and both schools become all GNAC.

Did you see the option to buy the Carlson Center for potential revenue? I thought that was an interesting peace.

Comment

I don't understand why UAA athletics would be shut down instead of UAF.
                            It's cheaper to travel to Anchorage and there's a larger population base to support the programs.
                            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

School starts Aug 29th and the strategic pathways options for athletics have just been released, so it’s time for a new season thread.

The University’s strategic pathways recommendations for athletics suck, but we can discuss them in following posts. It’s going to take a lot of effort from the players, coaches, and community to continue to improve or maybe even keep the Nanook program. The only tougher job out there right now may be being a Trump apologist.

Not sure when the all important polls come out, but I expect us to be in one of the bottom two spots. Last year we were only middle of the pack in scoring and have lost over 50% of that scoring. I don’t believe anyone else even comes close to that.
                              We will have 19 underclassmen, including 12 freshmen. No senior d-men and maybe only three healthy junior d-men. Our goaltending should be solid, but solid may not be good enough to be competitive. We may need extraordinary goaltending.

But as a pre-emptive comment, and following my Trump theme, I would like to emphasize that if we do not win the conference then the other teams obviously cheated.
                              At this point, what difference does it make?
                              'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Working...
                              X