bad news for Badgers - Kendall Coyne to play for MN in 2016/17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad news for Badgers - Kendall Coyne to play for MN in 2016/17

An obscure NCAA rule will allow the 2016 Patty K winner to play for Minnesota this year.
    Already loaded with talent, the addition of Coyne will make MN a tough team to beat.
    http://www.excellesports.com/news/ke...ota-whitecaps/
    Well, it’s not that obscure, it’s called graduation, she will play for the Minnesota Whitecaps.

Re: bad news for Badgers - Kendall Coyne to play for MN in 2016/17

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
    An obscure NCAA rule will allow the 2016 Patty K winner to play for Minnesota this year.
    Already loaded with talent, the addition of Coyne will make MN a tough team to beat.
    http://www.excellesports.com/news/ke...ota-whitecaps/
    Well, it’s not that obscure, it’s called graduation, she will play for the Minnesota Whitecaps.
    Yeah, Frosty will stick "Smith" on the back of her jersey and send her out there, ya can't trust a rodent. I hope she enjoys her lifetime achievement award she got last year. Way to rub that in Badger fan's faces too. What a travesty.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Somewhat related and so wishing it was bad news for the Badgers...Hannah Brandt is staying in Minnesota and like Coyne will play for Minnesota (Whitecaps) as well. The additions of Coyne and Brandt make an already good Whitecaps team VERY good.
      At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
        Somewhat related and so wishing it was bad news for the Badgers...Hannah Brandt is staying in Minnesota and like Coyne will play for Minnesota (Whitecaps) as well. The additions of Coyne and Brandt make an already good Whitecaps team VERY good.
        At this point it's all very "who cares". All that matters is college and the Olympics.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

It also makes their two exhibition games against the Gophers even more interesting. The first one on Sept. 23rd is now just 7 weeks away!
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
            It also makes their two exhibition games against the Gophers even more interesting.
            after playing them, every other team will seem slow
            and a fairly good chance the Gopher goalie will be showered with high quality shots
            so yes, it is bad news for Badgers

hopefully the Whitecaps will play the NWHL teams again,
            especially the Beantown team
            with a few games in town

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy
              Minnesota..."A program that's simply in it's own world"
              "Reigning titan of [college] women's hockey"

(courtesy of BC supporters)
              Hey if you're going to quote me, make sure you make my grammar right! haha
              Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
              Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
              Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                Hey if you're going to quote me, make sure you make my grammar right! haha
                I was thinking that this was what many of the BC supporters did after the title game but good to see you didn't.

http://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/...if?w=800&h=240

Comment

I was thinking that this was what many of the BC supporters did after the title game but good to see you didn't.

http://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/...if?w=800&h=240
                  Oh, no, I did. They just have internet down here now.

Comment

Oh, no, I did. They just have internet down here now.
                    Ya don't say...

Isn't it about time you and others who took "the plunge" crawl your way back to daylight and start generating some BC optimism for the upcoming season?

Comment

Isn't it about time you and others who took "the plunge" crawl your way back to daylight and start generating some BC optimism for the upcoming season?
                      You tell me where I should generate optimism from and I'll work on that

Comment

You tell me where I should generate optimism from and I'll work on that

Certainly was half kidding before but what you ask seems more serious so here you go...

Coaching aside, Minnesota has three foundation pieces that they base their success on. Elite goaltender, elite defenseman, and elite forward. Obviously they have more than that with depth throughout the lineup but those core things drive their success.

Can you look at BC and check off those 3 boxes? I think so...Start with the goaltender. I thought she was one of the best players on the ice for both teams in the title game. She definitely fits into the elite category. Adding to the foundation is Keller on defense. She definitely is elite. How about forward? Obviously, losing Carpenter as well as Skarupa and Trivigno, is huge but you have to like the chances of Makenna Newkirk or Kenzie Kent filling the role of elite forward. Plus it wouldn't surprise me if Caitrin Lonergan winds up being a serious contender for national ROTY. Obviously BC has depth throughout the lineup so, as they say, the pieces are in place.

The thing that stood out to me watching BC in the title game is that they were somewhat vulnerable from the defensive side of things. Maybe some of that is from a lack of really good competition during the season but maybe it's their emphasis on aggressively attacking on offense, almost to a fault. So maybe the big question is can the coaching staff tweak their systems so that BC becomes better defensively, from a team concept? Look, they made adjustments to the power play successfully from 2 years ago to last year so maybe they can make changes in this regard as well.
                        Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 08-10-2016, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X