Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

>>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2016-17: That was fun; let's go for three!

I'm attending my first-ever RIT Men's home game. As an outsider from Plattsburgh in a UVM hoodie, this is a good game and a good crowd!
    Plattsburgh CARDINALS
    SUNYAC Champ x24: 78, 79, 82, 83, 85, 87, 88, 90, 92, 93, 97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 04, 08, 09, 11, 12, 15, 17, 23
    ECACW Champ x11: 81, 82, 87, 92, 06, 07, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
    NEWHL Champ x5: 18, 19, 20, 22, 23
    NCAA DIII Champ x10-ish: 87, 92, 01, 07, 08, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19
    NCAA DIII Runner-up x4-ish: 86, 90, 06, 08
    NCAA DII Runner-up x2: 81, 82

Comment

• Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
      Not enough bodies to do that.

Powers &8^]
      Yes after I posted that I went back and counted all the injured and you're right pretty much everybody that can skate has been getting ice time. Sitting at Tate beginning of 3rd, 3-2 Army over Holy Cross. Hope RIT has a strong 3rd.
      RPI Engineers
      RIT Tigers
      ARMY Black Knights

Comment

With the Tigers loss and Sacred Heart's win tonight it all comes down to next weekend. SHU has their work cut out for them against Air Force who is not going to let up even with nothing to play for.
        RIT

Comment

• Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
          With the Tigers loss and Sacred Heart's win tonight it all comes down to next weekend. SHU has their work cut out for them against Air Force who is not going to let up even with nothing to play for.
          I think Air Force wants the league championship so I think they actually do have something to play for. If Canisius gets by Mercyhurst on Thursday night they will be three points in the clear and done with the regular season. If Air Force sweeps Sacred Heart in Colorado next weekend they are the regular season champs. I wouldn't expect a Serratore coached team not want to win a league championship.
          RPI Engineers
          RIT Tigers
          ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Originally posted by CARDS_rule_the_Burgh View Post
            I'm attending my first-ever RIT Men's home game. As an outsider from Plattsburgh in a UVM hoodie, this is a good game and a good crowd!
            Dammit, Nate... missed you at this one... 'the Wife' and I (along with 'the Boy' and his gf) were there tonight too! Treated her to the Club seats this trip... yeah, they're pricey but worth it (she enjoyed the game, and the Prime Rib ). Great atmosphere despite the Tigers loss.

Next time, man... next time. Lot of USCHO'ers there tonight, too... all great people. Got to say "Hi" to most, but sorry I missed a few this time-around.

Cheers!!!
            ~TTF
            Dave
            RIT - '90

Comment

Tigers are playing better -- certainly the PK is loads better than it was a few weeks ago -- but we really miss Valenzuela, Skirving, and the Norrish twins, especially on the Power Play.

Powers &8^]

Comment

• Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                Tigers are playing better -- certainly the PK is loads better than it was a few weeks ago -- but we really miss Valenzuela, Skirving, and the Norrish twins, especially on the Power Play.

Powers &8^]
                This weekend could have been much worse. It's apparent the Tigers are playing with a lot of heart. It's good to see. The Tigers could make some noise in the playoffs if they keep playing with heart.
                R I T HOCKEY
                Frozen Four
                Elite Eight
                NCAA Tournament
                2010-2015-2016
                RIP-Mikita Dan Barrows

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post

Powers &8^]
                  Originally posted by Rochester View Post
                  This weekend could have been much worse. It's apparent the Tigers are playing with a lot of heart. It's good to see. The Tigers could make some noise in the playoffs if they keep playing with heart.
                  I don't want to take too much from this weekend, as RIT and Air Force always, always play each other close no matter where they are in the standings. RIT still did not look that good last weekend.

The Norrish's are not coming back this season, but it sounds as though Valenzuela and Skirving both should be back for the playoffs so we may be able to sneak into Blue Cross. It's hard to imagine this team getting past Canisius/Air Force without the Norrish's though.
                  RIT

Comment

• Originally posted by Schmitty View Post
                    Big weekend. I like to think with last weekend ending on a high note the boys have a little wind in their sails, but I hope I'm not being overly (and uncharacteristically) optimistic...I'm thinking each team walks away with two points.
                    Serves me right for having a shred of optimism...looks like I made it out of town just in time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Schmitty View Post
                      Serves me right for having a shred of optimism...looks like I made it out of town just in time.
                      Despite not having the firepower in its current state to take down AF, the team left it all on the ice both nights and I'll always cheer for that regardless of the result.

If they play with the same intensity, I believe they have a chance to take some points from Mercyhurst.
                      RIT Tigers

AHC Pickem Regular Season Co-Champion - 2016-2017

Comment

• Originally posted by kwm4385 View Post
                        Despite not having the firepower in its current state to take down AF, the team left it all on the ice both nights and I'll always cheer for that regardless of the result.

If they play with the same intensity, I believe they have a chance to take some points from Mercyhurst.
                        Maybe they will catch some lightning in a bottle heading into the playoffs. Regardless of how they are playing I'm not sure any team in Atlantic hockey would want to play RIT in the playoffs.
                        Last edited by Downstate_RIT_Fan; 02-21-2017, 05:38 AM.
                        RPI Engineers
                        RIT Tigers
                        ARMY Black Knights

Comment

• Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
                          Maybe they will catch some lightning in a bottle heading into the playoffs. Regardless of how they are playing I'm not sure any team in Atlantic hockey would want to play RIT in the playoffs.
                          Normally I would agree but these past two years we've gotten hot at the right time for a good tourney run. This year we're more limping in than anything else.

That lack of a week off isn't going to help either, especially if we don't end up drawing Niagara (which is pretty unlikely at this point, 18% chance according to playoffstatus.com). People need to heal up some, which is less easy when you have games on calendar.

Comment

Originally posted by Downstate_RIT_Fan View Post
                            I think Air Force wants the league championship so I think they actually do have something to play for. If Canisius gets by Mercyhurst on Thursday night they will be three points in the clear and done with the regular season. If Air Force sweeps Sacred Heart in Colorado next weekend they are the regular season champs. I wouldn't expect a Serratore coached team not want to win a league championship.
                            On top of that, AFA is #15 in the PWR. They need to keep winning as much as possible to try and grab an at-large NCAA berth, just in case they are upset in the AHC tournament.
                            Can't we all just get along?
                            Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

We would all like to hope for a team that was picked to at least compete for the regular season title, actually the favor to win it, would get on track and do something in the playoffs. But an objective look at their whole season and an honest person would have to consider that a long shot. I've never seen a team at RIT with high expectations like this one stumble so badly. This team out of the gate looked like a juggernaut. In a rematch of last years AHA Title game, RMU looked unable to stay with the Tigers for 90 minutes of play and then dumb penalty after dumb penalty produced one of the most embarrassing and frustrating losses in Program history. I remember thinking okay early season miss step, team maybe reading too many headlines, good wake up call.

But that wake up call didn't seem to get through to the guys. They played alright against UCONN at brickcity, but then looked not so great in two ECAC games in Albany.

A bounce back sweep at Bentley, ok we are back, but that went away with being sweept two weekends in a row at the hands of Canisius and Air Force.

The Tigers would run off 5 straight conference wins after that, but yet still seemed very sloppy at times. Then the injury bug happen and this team just didn't seem to be mentally tough enough to deal with it. They failed all most every test of adversary this season. If this was an up and coming team, yeah you could call it a nice effort against Air Force, but this was suppose to be a team that could hang a banner or two. Yes we have a lot of freshmen in the line up, so maybe that does bold well for the future.

The AHA has risen up the last 4 or 5 seasons, thanks to RIT's success going to the Frozen Four and thanks to other teams like Air Force and Niagara making noise on the national stage. RIT has had a mixed bag of success from that uptick in the AHA. One even has to wonder if two hot playoff runs did not cloaking a concerning down trend in the program.

These are all Regular season numbers only.

This year's Senior class came in as the team was coming off a sudden drop off of a 11-12-4 conference record. The team fall a little lower during their freshman year with 10-14-3 record. MGM line help get the program back to a respectable 14-9-5 record, which they duplicated the following season. This year's strange tie-less season sees them at 12-15-0 with one game left.

So in Regular season AHA games only, this senior class is 50-47-13, with of course 1 game to play. That's only a 0.4545 winning percentage and averaging about 28 points a season. Thrown in the year before this class came in your looking at 61-59-17, 0.445% and average of just under 28 points the last 5 seasons. This from a program that used to be post 20 win seasons. Yes the AHA has gotten much better, but this drop off is alarming.

Look I am not trying to be all doom and gloom nor blast the team. But I think one thing is becoming clear. If RIT wants to be like the same power house they where in D3 then the new arena alone isn't going to do it. Conference they play in and especially no scholarships is hampering the program and a disturbing trend of other teams in the AHA getting much better and RIT staying the same. I think this is going to be the single biggest issue/hope I have for the new leadership coming into next year at RIT. While I appreciate the old leadership vocal support in begging people to donate money for the new arena, and okay job they did in building the arena, I think there is a lot harder work ahead in the administrative ranks to bring this program to the level we all hope it can go to...

One last thought, how big now is the loss of Mark Goldberg? They were able to deal with it last year, but this year it would have been mighty nice to have him...
                              Last edited by Tom Naeger; 02-21-2017, 12:35 PM.
                              Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                              The Mule
                              Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

I don't see the scholarship situation changing any time soon without the athletic department being moved to all D1 (which I don't think will happen nor is a good idea anyway). I really do think the AHC will continue to slowly strangle RIT because they simply aren't compatible. Moving to the ECAC is our only salvation.
                                RIT Tigers

AHC Pickem Regular Season Co-Champion - 2016-2017

Comment

Working...
                                X